Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Nothing to do with what I wrote, I specifically referenced marking contests and didn't pot NM for it, I repeat coaches would be mad to not take advantage if umps aren't going to call it, I assume it happens to other players as well, the footy has been so tedious this year so I haven't payed much attention to other games, so couldn't tell you.
Ruckman always grapple at throw ins.

campaigner___

Club Legend
May 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
At least with Ainsworth you can see his endurance develop to AFL standard and even above average, even if it looks like it has come at a cost of body shape.

When you look at Branders physical development and attack on the ball compared to Oscar Allen, it is stark. Quite frankly it is questionable whether he will make it now.
Agree on Brander. He really hasn't shown anything. I don't really know what's next for him. Keep trying I guess?

OA and Waterman have well and truly overtaken him. The future forward line is pretty well set with Bailey Williams in the mix as ruck/forward too. I can see the club trying to turn him into the pendlebury 'smooth mover' type but they've missed a trick with brander.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
“The only reason the opponent got close was because of how bad we were” is a weird way to console yourself after your 14th loss in 15 games. As though you could have won but you just didn’t because of a some errors creeping in?

I'm not "consoling" myself about anything. Those are the facts.

I'm not pissed we lost, I couldn't care. The only thing we could have got out of it was a draft pick downgrade. No thanks.

I'm not "consoling" myself about anything. Those are the facts.

I'm not pissed we lost, I couldn't care. The only thing we could have got out of it was a draft pick downgrade. No thanks.

It’s a fact in the sense that, yes, more often than not in world sport the better team beats the worse team.

“You only won because we were bad” is almost universally true after any match. It doesn’t really need pointing out and trying to throw it back at the winners as though we somehow did something wrong by being better? Dunno. Couldn’t be me. Must be one of those ‘real club’ things I’ve been hearing so much about, while I’m over here mindlessly consuming another win and finals trip for the all powerful business model.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Nothing to do with what I wrote, I specifically referenced marking contests and didn't pot NM for it, I repeat coaches would be mad to not take advantage if umps aren't going to call it, I assume it happens to other players as well, the footy has been so tedious this year so I haven't payed much attention to other games, so couldn't tell you.
Ruckman always grapple at throw ins.

I agree. Geelong & Hawthorn definitely train with milking free kicks in mind. It's too orchestrated to be an accident. It's a crap state of affairs, but there it is.

I am not leveling this at WCE here. They tend to play footy properly, and I have stated more than once that they play the purest brand of footy in the AFL at the moment. They just got the rub of the green last night.

Agree on Brander. He really hasn't shown anything.

Let's ignore his clean skills below his knees, smooth moves through traffic, few nice deliveries inside 50 and nice contested marks we've seen this year.

He has shown more "special" glimpses than most of our other depth. Unfortunately he's also squibbed a bit and also has to carry the top draft pick tag.

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
I agree. Geelong & Hawthorn definitely train with milking free kicks in mind. It's too orchestrated to be an accident. It's a crap state of affairs, but there it is.

I am not leveling this at WCE here. They tend to play footy properly, and I have stated more than once that they play the purest brand of footy in the AFL at the moment. They just got the rub of the green last night.
OK, in the game I watched they missed a couple of kicks at each end but didn't have much effect on the game, far from the worst umpiring effort this year.
Isn't it mad Friday or something, get Dan Murphys to drop you off a box and we'll see you next year.

The fu**?

I’m getting the sense it could have been a 300 point blowout and it would still be the case that one blocking free kick going the other way would have been all the difference.

Just as Gaff/Martin/De Goey/every decent free agent in AFL history choosing to stay away from Arden Street as desperately as profits do is solely down to some foul play or dodgy business dealing on the side.

It’s always someone else’s fault and the spirit shown by this good honest battler in the face of adversity is more impressive than any premiership points could ever be.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I'm a big Waterman fan. I feel people don't take him as seriously because he was an absolute bargain basement pick and not high profile.

If he was a first rounder we'd all be rapt with his development as 3rd tall forward after 4 seasons. Despite his quiet game vs the roos.

Played 38 games in the blue and gold now for 37 goals.
mate if anyone underrates him round here they need fremantling!!!

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
OK, in the game I watched they missed a couple of kicks at each end but didn't have much effect on the game, far from the worst umpiring effort this year.
Isn't it mad Friday or something, get Dan Murphys to drop you off a box and we'll see you next year.

Righto. I'll keep a cold one ready for you too.

I'd like to think i've got both eyes open when it comes to umpiring each week :eyes:

Off the top of my head i remember 2, maybe 3 holding free kicks North should have gotten, so old mate Snake isn't completely lying there.

That charity free kick against Darling inside our forward 50, for what... a nudge in the back on some small squib? That was straight up charity.

Can't recall too many howlers or awful umpiring for either team. The 4 people in Norths fanbase who have an issue with it need to focus on their own team for having us on the ropes and being so completely s**t to do anything about it.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Now, back to WCE.

Unfortunately I reckon you have been dudded the most of all the top 8 sides by the finals being staged in a swamp, and at night, combined with throwing becoming a new skill in the sport.

A few injuries at the wrong time of the season doesn't help either. One finals win max, I'm afraid.

Football in Qld is for the tip. Good riddance to 2020. :thumbsdown:

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I'm mildly stunned that some of you folk are bitching about umpire bias.

Anyway, they're the biggest blight on the sport regardless of who is getting reamed at the time.
I did mention it from an Eagles point of view but yes they didn't do you guys a lot of favours either.
That first deliberate was a joke.
Also a few holding the ball non decisions both ways. I know the ball was more slippery than a "insert any number of hyperboles" but you still should have to dispose of the ball correctly and within 5 minutes.

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
One of the stupidest things i saw was when a north player in the last quarter kicked it end for end ten metres down the line out of bounds , the umpire jn control was 15 metres from play looked back at his mate in our forward line who was 50 metres away then to his other mate who was 75 metres away in our defence and then then froze for 3-4 seconds waiting for someone to tell him what to do before he decided to say throw it in....

Definitely mad monday for those 3 jokers last night. ... we obviously got the work for the dole applicants for our last game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dec 19, 2007
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
soccer rugby union and le
-I was peed off with how some teams have taken to trying to bully us with us not responding.If the ball goes over the boundary and the opposition guy jogs back and delivers a bump on our player we should rough him up.
-Hurns bump was just what was required last night.
-Williams really works hard chasing and tackling ALA JK.
-I like that Cole is willing to step but why double step when you could use your left? Two weeks in a row youve tried too much and got caught.Left foot sonny;left foot!!
-Ainsworth tries but gee whizz he looks like hes running in treacle sometimes
-The tackling? Does my Fu#king head in too.Stop the extended single arm and go lower at the torso.Waterman your like a witches cone at times.
-Hows ya fu#cking night GF spectacular looking now Media Eddie? Stuff the clean crisp footy we fans want fireworks and entertainment.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I did mention it from an Eagles point of view but yes they didn't do you guys a lot of favours either.
That first deliberate was a joke.
Also a few holding the ball non decisions both ways. I know the ball was more slippery than a "insert any number of hyperboles" but you still should have to dispose of the ball correctly and within 5 minutes.

It just annoyed me that they basically rooted what was an ugly but well contested contest with about 10 minutes to go in the match.

The umpiring is the biggest issue in the sport, and I reckon the only way to fix what is becoming a less and less attractive sport, is to bring in a couple of rules to slow the game down. All problems stem from the modern speed and endurance of players, combined with negating coaching tactics.

DickDunn

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Now, back to WCE.

Unfortunately I reckon you have been dudded the most of all the top 8 sides by the finals being staged in a swamp, and at night, combined with throwing becoming a new skill in the sport.

A few injuries at the wrong time of the season doesn't help either. One finals win max, I'm afraid.

Football in Qld is for the tip. Good riddance to 2020. :thumbsdown:

What would any of your embarrassing lot know about winning finals?

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast has long been a club where ability to run is valued higher then physical strength

Exhibit A: Chris Masten

From the day he started, until the day he retired, had the core strength of my osteoporotic grandmother.

Edit, that might be being a bit harsh on grandma

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Not counting GWS or lolDees who wont make the 8

We are a 50% chance of playing St Kilda if we finish 5th
25% chance of The Dogs
25% chancce of Collingwood

Thats good IMO as we can beat St Kilda but the Dogs and Collingwood especially Collingwood in finals at Perth is bad

I think St Kilda, Bulldogs and Melbourne are all likely to win and Collingwood lose, so most likely to come up against the Pies.

Eastwestcoast

Cancelled
Nov 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
It just annoyed me that they basically rooted what was an ugly but well contested contest with about 10 minutes to go in the match.

The umpiring is the biggest issue in the sport, and I reckon the only way to fix what is becoming a less and less attractive sport, is to bring in a couple of rules to slow the game down. All problems stem from the modern speed and endurance of players, combined with negating coaching tactics.
Conversations about umpiring, free kick differentials, free kicks missed etc is so mindlessly boring.

Umpires don't cheat. Some are better than others. Aussie rules rules are at best vague and require a lot of interpretation.

With the speed of the ball, speed of the players, congestion and the 360 degree nature of the game it is the hardest game in the world to umpire.

Get over it....move on.

Back