Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

Good write up from an unbiased source

Very bullish on Jack Williams and some considered praise for Sheed’s efforts in his battle against LDU

The difference between JW’s first few games and yesterday was pretty significant. His ruckwork is way better (or at least way more competent) than you would expect for an under-developed and undersized Fwd-Ruck

In relation to the B&F :

19 games - Gaff, Hunt, Williams, Allen
18 games - Kelly, Duggan, Witherden
17 games - Ginbey
16 games - Darling
15 games - Sheed, Petruccelle, Long

Everyone else has missed 5 or more games

Top 3 will come from Kelly, Allen, Williams and Hunt

In relation to the B&F :

19 games - Gaff, Hunt, Williams, Allen
18 games - Kelly, Duggan, Witherden
17 games - Ginbey
16 games - Darling
15 games - Sheed, Petruccelle, Long

Everyone else has missed 5 or more games

Top 3 will come from Kelly, Allen, Williams and Hunt
Well you would have to say BBW will be finishing top 3-4 at least.
Who would have thought that at the start of the year.

Good write up from an unbiased source

Very bullish on Jack Williams and some considered praise for Sheed’s efforts in his battle against LDU

I like the comment that it didn't feel like Sheezel had a big game. I agree (although looked dangerous in the last 5 minutes).

It hit me this morning. We kicked 12 points. He took the kick outs, and I am pretty confident played on every time.

So outside of that he had 5 kicks. I think he is a good player but this perspective gets lost I think when his stats are discussed.

I like the comment that it didn't feel like Sheezel had a big game. I agree (although looked dangerous in the last 5 minutes).

It hit me this morning. We kicked 12 points. He took the kick outs, and I am pretty confident played on every time.

So outside of that he had 5 kicks. I think he is a good player but this perspective gets lost I think when his stats are discussed.

Per the AFL stats he took 6 kick ins, Corr 5 and Ziebell 1

Do remember thinking during the game I hadn’t noticed Sheezel all that much so was surprised to see he’d had so much of it

Do remember thinking during the game I hadn’t noticed Sheezel all that much so was surprised to see he’d had so much of it

Cheers Keys. Putting me in my place on stats today

Jack Williams has bit of Tom Hawkins about him. Big unit, massive legs, and only 19 years old. Hate to be footing his weekly food bill.

And yes I like comparing players with seven games under their belts. If we can develop maric and Williams, that forward line could start looking pretty deadly

Oy vey!

He definitely stat pads a bit but uses it well and is playing phenomenally for his age and experience.

They moved him forward in the last and he was a big contributor to their last quarter resurgance. I had a great view of his snap in the dying minutes that was called a behind. I and pretty much everyone around me thought it was a goal. Didn't look like any part of the ball went over the post.

Oy vey!

He definitely stat pads a bit but uses it well and is playing phenomenally for his age and experience.

They moved him forward in the last and he was a big contributor to their last quarter resurgance. I had a great view of his snap in the dying minutes that was called a behind. I and pretty much everyone around me thought it was a goal. Didn't look like any part of the ball went over the post.

I didn't say he wasn't a good player.

I actually am baffled at the way North are using him. Just play him forward. He certainly didn't worry us when he was playing back and getting pointless touches.

The difference between JW’s first few games and yesterday was pretty significant. His ruckwork is way better (or at least way more competent) than you would expect for an under-developed and undersized Fwd-Ruck

He's shown a bit hey as has his 'twin' obviously. I hope that factors into our list management strategy.

Cuz if we do grab English that creates a bit of a logjam.

• English
  • B Williams
  • Barnett
  • J Williams

J Williams is obviously a FWD Ruck, but I don't think B Williams or Barnett are and English definitely isn't.

I'm not sure we need anything more than a B Williams in the ruck, so unless he's noncommital about his future I don't see the point in going after English only to stifle B Williams (or Barnett's development as a pure ruck or push B Williams into that FWD ruck role and stifle J Williams development.

For Jack Williams to go from project player who missed half the season through a bad injury to doing a pretty good job and holding down a spot is a very nice surprise these last few weeks. Credit to him - it looks like we have something to work with there.

He's shown a bit hey as has his 'twin' obviously. I hope that factors into our list management strategy.

Cuz if we do grab English that creates a bit of a logjam.

• English
  • B Williams
  • Barnett
  • J Williams

J Williams is obviously a FWD Ruck, but I don't think B Williams or Barnett are and English definitely isn't.

I'm not sure we need anything more than a B Williams in the ruck, so unless he's noncommital about his future I don't see the point in going after English only to stifle B Williams (or Barnett's development as a pure ruck or push B Williams into that FWD ruck role and stifle J Williams development.

Don't forget about Jamieson

Agreed RE English, we already have 4 potential ruckmen that have all shown good progress this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kick for LDUs goal in the last was sexy as though. I think he will do and be better when he spends more time in the midfield

The trade for pick 2 was a win/win for both teams really. It is a thing that can happen

Don't forget about Jamieson

Agreed RE English, we already have 4 potential ruckmen that have all shown good progress this year

Not going to cry if we get English, but in terms of FA targets for us I'd rate it as this:

Sam Taylor
Naughton
English

Not sure how likely we would be for any.

Hopefully Bazzo has a great off-season. He looks like he's made out of plasticine so if he can start making gains similar to our other youngsters I think that will help him a lot. If he is going to hold down a spot in the back 6 he needs to add strength and lose some puppy fat 100%.

Thats was the best Jack Williams game I’ve seen in a while. It’s been really hard for him to make an impact at both levels with both the Eagles and Beagles being putrid and him basically being starved of opportunity. He needs to work on his set shot kicking tho

Hopefully Bazzo has a great off-season. He looks like he's made out of plasticine so if he can start making gains similar to our other youngsters I think that will help him a lot. If he is going to hold down a spot in the back 6 he needs to add strength and lose some puppy fat 100%.
He’s the type of player you naturally start off as a third tall and then as he fills out you turn into a KPD( similair way to schoey) but with Gov/edwards and even barrass missing chunks he’s not only been our second tall but also our only tall. At 86kgs it’s hard to play on blokes +15kgs heavier but think his confidence atm is at an all time low and he’s kinda lost. Reckon last year he had some good match up with some experienced KPF’s but he’s a shadow of that player atm

POS - The 7 players drafted in the last 2 years (Hewett, Williams, Chesser, Hough, Long, Bazzo, Marc) continue to show promise.

NEG - The midfield in general is a worry all season, Kelly supported by Sheed, Gaff, O'neil and Hewett on occassions in this game.

Next year Id like to see Chesser down back and Duggan full time midfield. Duggans one on one defending is too bad to persist with down back

Chesser has the athleticism but not the smarts to win the ball at this point so bring the ball to him by putting him down back. If Duggan struggles in the midfield, put him up for trade at years end

Out of the 27 disposals per game he averages, he averages 2.4 kick ins per game.

Out of the 27 disposals per game he averages, he averages 2.4 kick ins per game.

Fair enough. How often is he the short pass receiver though, which is basically the same thing.

It’s not a criticism as such every team has one (Duggan and Witherden for us. Either kicking in or getting the short one). I just don’t know what is being achieved by him playing that role.

Fair enough. How often is he the short pass receiver though, which is basically the same thing.

It’s not a criticism as such every team has one (Duggan and Witherden for us. Either kicking in or getting the short one). I just don’t know what is being achieved by him playing that role.

Not often from experience.

He averages almost 500 meters gained per game.

We don't have any decent ball users from half back, so that's his purpose.

POS - The 7 players drafted in the last 2 years (Hewett, Williams, Chesser, Hough, Long, Bazzo, Marc) continue to show promise.

NEG - The midfield in general is a worry all season, Kelly supported by Sheed, Gaff, O'neil and Hewett on occassions in this game.
Throw Culley in there too. Pity he's been injured as it's been a good year to get games into the newbies. Not sure he'll be a champ but might be better than average. Also given he'd played some HFF then with Jack Williams and Maric (and next year Waterman?) it would've been good to see who fitted where.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back