Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't recall any media rating them. Were Freo much the same? Starting well but not many convinced they were the real deal? I can't remember.

Freo had injuries and they definitely ran out of steam in the second half of 2015. They were rated after making the GF in 2013 and did still finish top of the ladder.

That week of Nic’s suspension may have actually helped him. For a whole week they continuously played the footage of him tackling those 3 different players. I reckon that is an image that would be hard to get out of your head when the big fella is nearby.
Thought same thing. A few tigers crapped themselves.

Perceived pressure like a mother *er

Positive - The Vics are circling the wagons already, reading between the media lines they seem to have
gone into siege mentality. They're using up their last card - the 'still have to win at the MCG' card.
The Pies game will be huge in that context.
We've won 8, with I think 6 more home games left, presuming we win those as most predict =14 wins?
Leaves 7 away games to win 1-3 games? Tigers, Crows, Cats won 15 games last year.
The double dip shimmers on the horizon..

Negative - It feels a bit uncomfortable to be so cherry ripe in May, sitting a game ahead on top of the ladder.
Every man and his dog will be dissecting and analysing us now, but the same applies to every top team
before they reached the finals, remembering the Tigers finished 3rd. Confidence and belief can go a long way
as can quality depth pushing up. Curiously Simmo hinted at a couple of games plans they can wheel out..
Suddenly it's a very long season...2 weeks to the Bye. Re-set.

Yes, what was the reason for Wellingham's demise, he had some good weapons when he was on song..?
Jetts and Sheed lacked 'touch', took awhile to get into gear...

ROYAL EAGLE -yep, am liking Ahchee, he just slots in so well, so far, seems to have much upside. He was the grunt we needed before our much criticised lesser grunts turned into improved grunts, if you get my drift?
Be so key for the tigers to finish 3rd, especially if it's us and say Adelaide/Sydney 2nd. One of us to knock them out without playing them on the 'G in a final

Be so key for the tigers to finish 3rd, especially if it's us and say Adelaide/Sydney 2nd. One of us to knock them out without playing them on the 'G in a final
Heres hoping!!! Actually I'd rather we play Crows or Tigers for the big dance, or anyone
but Swans - it's too much like groundhog day? But it's a long way off yet...

Last edited:
That week of Nic’s suspension may have actually helped him. For a whole week they continuously played the footage of him tackling those 3 different players. I reckon that is an image that would be hard to get out of your head when the big fella is nearby.

I'd be pretty stoked if NicNat held me in his big arms and brought me to ground.

Heard a rumour that Ryan was well ahead of schedule.I also think Petrol must be factored in he looks a real balanced find with extreme pace.Keep swinging the changes,it keeps the players hungry, it gives the tier two players hope that good form will be rewarded, and it keeps the opposition guessing.Ive seen too many teams in all sorts of comps, do well early and there comes a mindset that yes this particular 22 is the side we will go forward with.The pressure comes off and things go down hill.They coined the term Collywobbles for a reason.

Let's be honest here, if NN wanted to really hurt Amon they'd still be trying to dig him out of Optus Stadium.
I think I saw an artist's impression of this somewhere.

Oh yeah, this was it

latest

A small negative for me was how the sunlight spilled in from between the roof sections, creating a band of harsh light across the field that no camera would be able to render well.

Example:
View attachment 500362

It made watching the game until the last quarter pretty ugly and at times hard to identify the players. Not sure if other stadiums are designed that way with the gap under the roof, but it's a little disappointing.
Yeah, I flagged the same issue here after going to that Dockers AFLW game in the preseason. It's really bad for TV, and it can't be great for the players either, having multiple areas of sunlight-shadow transitions on the field. Would be less of an issue in Melbourne, where footy season and clear sunny days rarely intersect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NicNats second half was absolutely ridiculous. Underrated. Took 11 ruck taps and decisively won all of them (including 7 that lead to breakaway clearances for 5 scoring shots). It got so pathetic the Richmond rucks stopped trying in the end - I don't even think I've ever seen that before. Massive call but that was a burst of individual brilliance that compares to the Cousins second half prelim masterclass against Adelaide in 2006 (albeit incomparable scenarios). You can stick all your other ruckmen up your arse.

Last edited:
I don't recall any media rating them. Were Freo much the same? Starting well but not many convinced they were the real deal? I can't remember.

Freo were rated but after the unconvincing win against Sydney in Qualifying figures started to be thrown around about how little they had actually scored from just after the mid point of the season.

The season that North started 8-0 nobody rated them and I even remember a thread started by a North person on the mainboard basically saying how disrespectful it was that nobody did...nek minnit they play some top teams and 8-1...8-2...8-3...8-4

The biggest positive for me was seeing the look on my mates face in that second half.
He hates the eagles with a passion, and was going on and on that we have no chance whatsoever to beat Richmond even if it is at home.

"who will stop Martin" he says to which I respond with confidence " Elliot Yeo" he bursts out laughing claiming Yeo is sh!t.
"There is no way your scoring on Richmond's Defence" he says. "Mate just you wait, the man on fire Jack Darling will have a field day". I respond as i chug back the rest of my beer.
at this point my mate is in hysterics "Jack Darling, you can't be serious". "I'm dead serious mate" i say while silently thinking come on Jack don't let me down.

Well it's fair to say he didn't let anyone down. what a performance from the great man. and the entire team for that matter. I watched the replay last night, without the emotion or excessive amounts of alcohol and the best way i can describe it is WOW. That response in the 3rd quarter was some of the best football i have seen from any team period. The intent was next level, Tackling was ferocious (don't think i have seen a team get caught HTB so many times in 1 qtr) and the ball movement was a thing of beauty. I want to keep a lid on it, still along way to go in the season but man this team is making it hard to contain my excitement right now.

only Negative is Yeo's injury. Simmo said he was 50/50 for this week so sounds like it isn't too bad. Guess we will find out later today, fingers crossed.

Richmond definitely came out firing in that second quarter, but I also wonder how much of it was a conscious decision by us to conserve energy? it's hard to play a full 4 quarters, especially when it's a hot day against a really good side. Just the way we played, continually down the same wing every single time. Drove me nuts how predictable we were. Completely different to the way we played during the other 3 quarters.

Surely it wasn't all Richmond playing better. No run, predictable, nothing like the way we played the rest of the game but really low risk and it just felt like we were treading water. Then we burst out of the blocks in the second half playing like we did in the first quarter nice and fresh.

It just felt bizarre.

Positive - remember when Gaff was always criticised for his lack of tackle/grunt? - what a turnaround!
I certainly remember, because opponents swatting him aside has been a pet peeve of mine about his game since forever.
Between the tackle and the speccy, I barely recognised Gaff this round. Loved it. More please! (The tackling at least)

Richmond definitely came out firing in that second quarter, but I also wonder how much of it was a conscious decision by us to conserve energy? it's hard to play a full 4 quarters, especially when it's a hot day against a really good side. Just the way we played, continually down the same wing every single time. Drove me nuts how predictable we were. Completely different to the way we played during the other 3 quarters.

Surely it wasn't all Richmond playing better. No run, predictable, nothing like the way we played the rest of the game but really low risk and it just felt like we were treading water. Then we burst out of the blocks in the second half playing like we did in the first quarter nice and fresh.

It just felt bizarre.

Seems like a risky way to play - like choosing to kick against the wind after the toss. Most teams would want to play attacking football at every chance they get (bar Ross Lyon), I think we were under siege and just treading water.

It just felt bizarre.

It felt as though NN was off for a lot of the second quarter. At the time I figured we were saving him for a big second half expecting a grind and a Tigers push in the last as they always do. Im yet to rewatch it so unsure how right or wrong my perception was

Remove this Banner Ad

Back