Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Negatives

- We needed to tag Houli and Martin. They wpm Richmond the game. Simple.

Nelson should have been tagging.

Tigers talls hurt us. We were a matchup short. Schofield was missed. You're deluded if you can't see his value as a designated stopper in defence.

We are structurally a better team w schoey. He allows Turbo and Barass more freedom to be attacking. We look better when he is in our backline. Missed him today. Believe he was managed. May be sore.

One thing that was really noticeable being at the ground is that Richmond always have three players guarding the corridor close to each other. It means any stray kick into the corridor almost always results in them retaining possession and an easy chain of handballs inside their 50.

On the other hand they constantly kick 45° toward the boundary into space when they’re exiting defence. I was so annoyed that they never got called deliberate. It’s so obviously deliberate but they never get pinged. Frustrating

Reminds a lot of Collingwood's blocking 'tactics' against Barrass and Mcgovern a few weeks ago.

Woke up to see the score. Gutted. So close to pretty much locking away top two. It's not completely over, but if we get the chance to put hawthorn to the sword we gotta take it because of the permutations on Sunday. If we pass Brisbane's % then the easy maths is pretty much any Richmond win gives us top two. Even if we get within touching distance of Brisbane, Richmond could knock the rest off for us.

The good news is we can definitely get a home preliminary final from 3rd or 4th, especially if we face Geelong in their current slide. Any team, any venue - we're never worse than a 45/55 proposition going into the game.

For about the first time ever in my life it's "Go Carlton". That would be huge for us, and not an impossibility (no one would have thought that two months ago).

Last edited:
BUT blind Freddy knew that was how Richmond would play the game - what was more puzzling is that the coaching panel didn't put things in place to try and nullify this - eg letting Martin wander free most of the day.

The only reason I could think why we let Dusty roam free all day AND let the Tigers set up with their preferred loose man in defense was we didnt want to show our hand too early tactics wise. We were saving that for finals.

Apart from the 1st quarter we played pretty average today.........and lost by one kick.

I could almost live with it had we not 'crapped the bed' in the backline with some panic plays that were downright embarrassing. Hack kicks around the corner blind straight to Tigers players, hack handballs without even looking who was there. Very out of character.

If we play the Tigers at some stage we need to pray for no rain.

Some of the most dumbfounding unforced errors you’ll ever see.

Reckon we 'gave' them more than a few (Barrass) goals.

My memory of the game has miskicks, failed spoils and handling errors which ultimately led to their goals.

Sheed lost his peripheral vision? Handballed to team mates with a Tiger alongside them on more than one occasion.
Gaff's game left me underwhelmed. Not up to his usual standard.
We got killed in the midfield - not just Martin either.

Woke up to see the score. Gutted. So close to pretty much locking away top two. It's not completely over, but if we get the chance to put hawthorn to the sword we gotta take it because of the permutations on Sunday. If we pass Brisbane's % then the easy maths is pretty much any Richmond win gives us top two. Even if we get within touching distance of Brisbane, Richmond could knock the rest off for us.

The good news is we can definitely get a home preliminary final from 3rd or 4th, especially if we face Geelong in their current slide. Any team, any venue - we're never worse than a 45/55 proposition going into the game.

For about the first time ever in my life it's "Go Carlton". That would be huge for us, and not an impossibility (no one would have thought that two months ago).
A draw today would have been as good as a win. We should have struck a gentleman's agreement with Richmond.

Nah just have to hammer Hawthorn and hope that Richmond beat Brisbane which they will have incentive to do if Collingwood beat Essendon. Can jump over Brisbane on %
Ladder predictor says if we win by 50 points and Lions lose by 30 then we’ll jump over them or Carlton beat the Cats. Sounds very probable to me 🤣😉😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ladder predictor says if we win by 50 points and Lions lose by 30 then we’ll jump over them or Carlton beat the Cats. Sounds very probable to me 🤣😉😜
We really need to come out and pound Hawthorn so that even a 3-goal win for the Tigers does the job.

Alternatively would we prefer to see Richmond lose and finish 5th?

Ok here are some numbers...

If we win 125 to 50 that would get us to the percentage that a tight Richmond win (81 to 79) does the trick.

Obviously if we win by less, Richmond would need to win by more. But yeah we need to pound Hawthorn the way we pounded Melbourne in the PF. Or the way we pounded the Dockers in the wet derby.

Basically we need to ride the lightning and hope Richmond do a job on Brisbane. It's not as remote as I'd feared after today's loss.

- * I hate Jack Riewoldt and Tom Lynch they are right up there for the most arrogant players in the league surely. Jacks hissy fit sure was something

- Hutchy out, is Shep badly injured? Darling was slow after that first quarter injury.

- Why the * did we not tag Dusty? Honestly that was not a great decision he tore us up

- Another wet game

- Mids. Enough said.

+ Still top 4
+ We know what Richmond can fully bring
+ Only lost by one goal. Yeah a win would have been nice but they completely dominated the second and third quarter and we still took it up them

We can’t control other results but must must must win Saturday

We really need to come out and pound Hawthorn so that even a 3-goal win for the Tigers does the job.

If Richmond aren't gonna win by enough to bring Brisbane's % below us then it's better for us they lose I reckon.

But really we just gotta go hell for leather against the hawks and hope the rest takes care of itself.

Amazingly, if it all goes wrong, we can still drop out of the top four.

Positives- great game and shows we should be happy to approach finals at the MCG with confidence

3 specific negatives
- Sheed was poor in the midfield and his inability to make opposition mids accountable was dire. He does not tackle very much nor does he look at second or third efforts.
- Barrass and Hurn earning goal assists were embarrassing costing 3 goals.
- Outcoached for 2 quarters not being able to stop round the corner kicks to Richmond defenders

I come in peace.
That was in the top 3 H&A games I have ever seen.
Gee the Eagles are a good side.
Had that been in Perth you win by 40.
always repsected your club but do so more now.
Eagles vs Tigers GF. Please.

If Richmond aren't gonna win by enough to bring Brisbane's % below us then it's better for us they lose I reckon.

But really we just gotta go hell for leather against the hawks and hope the rest takes care of itself.

Amazingly, if it all goes wrong, we can still drop out of the top four.
If we hammer Hawthorn by 70, even a tight Richmond win would suffice. But yeah we need to flog them. If we limp over the line, then I agree, Richmond losing is better. Unfortunately it doesn't look like they'd get the Dogs in week 1.

Playing Brisbane in Perth in a Qualifying Final is a pretty mouth watering prospect, even if it is an unlikely outcome of round 23.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Playing Brisbane in Perth in a Qualifying Final is a pretty mouth watering prospect, even if it is an unlikely outcome of round 23.
The loss to Collingwood. Carlton's late flurry after we had them beat. Riewoldt kicking a winning goal today when a draw would have been fine.

Remove any of these and we'd be on track for top 2. Stings the nostrils.

I come in peace.
That was in the top 3 H&A games I have ever seen.
Gee the Eagles are a good side.
Had that been in Perth you win by 40.
always repsected your club but do so more now.
Eagles vs Tigers GF. Please.
You should have let us play out a nice comfortable draw.

You play Geelong at the G. We play Brisbane in Perth. Simples.

Cmon guys, we've barely flogged anyone this year. Cant even put the bottom 4 away properly. Hawks will be playing for finals, same as the Crows were last week.

6 day break in a wet slog, doubt we'll have the run in us to do it. Just have to hope our hardened, finals experienced side can out-pressure the Lions at the Gabba in 3 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back