Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

First things first - what a cracking game of footy.

Story of the game was our errors. Some of the most dumbfounding unforced errors you’ll ever see.

Laughable, once in a lifetime mistakes on the goal line. Umpires determined to pull Richmond over the line. Lost by a goal at the G. We’re alright folks, we’re alright.

Make the melts funny or piss off - I’m bumping everything in this thread when we’re holding the cup.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives: Delayed telecast, so I dont have to watch it I guess.

Negatives:

* No effort after quarter time
* Injuries by the sounds of it
* Probably lost Top 2 now
* Kennedy needs to be questioned

Jul 14, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool // Ferrari
Negative
Got a sick feeling we'll utensil it up next week coming off a 6 day break and a slog vs a Hawks team who can still make finals.
That means nothing when you always have that sick feeling.

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Positive: first quarter

Negatives: Hurn barrass Kennedy umps and continually getting leads and thinking we've won the game dropping off and letting teams in.
No killer instinct

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Negative
Got a sick feeling we'll utensil it up next week coming off a 6 day break and a slog vs a Hawks team who can still make finals.

This is what im worried about. Copped some injuries, and will be playing tired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The positive for me is that we torched the Tigers early on when the weather was good. And then we grinded it out when the weather was bad, never gave up the contest. Even though the conditions didn’t suit us we tried to make things happen.

The negative was that we probably should have won. Aside from being so far ahead early I’ve never seen so many awful, lack of composure mistakes from the backline.

My biggest worry is Hurn, who has looked all out of sorts since coming back from his injury. When he is down the backline lose their heads a little bit. Backline turnovers lost us this game.

And finish with a positive. Great game of footy, had a bit of everything. We know we can match the Tigers at the G, our season is still alive. If we have to win an away QF or PF so be it.

Positive - we fought very hard whilst one man down and in ordinary conditions. Proud of that fight. We’ll bounce back v Hawks

Negative - Barrass. That was some diabolical s**t buddy.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
We are a very good football team when it all falls our way but..........

We are one of the most unaccountable teams in the league, we hate playing on a man and it showed today.
The amount of times today our forwards especially our small forwards hang out the back waiting for the easy ball 10 m behind their is just not acceptable,it’s soft and weak.
Our defence does the same trying to play 10m from their opponent, do you ever see opponents giving our forwards 10m free space.
We are so talented we can play like that and not win, but finals are about one thing and one thing only and that is being accountable.
We are not an accountable side and let’s just hope the clubs we play in the finals just let us do things our way.
Effort was there, plan was not there.

Hold your nerve and you beat the Tigers, it’s that simple. They’re bloody brilliant at dialing up the pressure and forcing you to hack it long out of defence, they do it so well.

When you starve them of rebound opportunities, they’re toothless. Much easier said than done, but that first quarter is a testament to how deliberate and methodical ball use is the way to put it on them. Once you let them get numbers to a loose contest, it’s a whole different game.

Our game plan is their kryptonite, and funnily enougj theirs is probably ours. Makes for a remarkable battle, but we’ve seen we can make it work for us.

DRK_13

Senior List
Jul 15, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Fantastic game. Two high quality sides trading goals in Q4, cant ask for a better game. No melts required.

POSITIVES:
- its a perfect game to have before the finals. It had finals intensity, and the boys know what is required against a top side at the G. Win or loss, this will prep the boys for finals.

- Yeo is brilliant. Top mid in the game.

- We didnt get smashed in the wet. I thought we did well in Q4 trading goals with them, when it looked like they would blow the game open.

- Rotham. He deserves to be a feature in the team. Adds a mobile, and composed player in our backline.

NEGATIVES:
- I believe that Kennedy is the weak link in the fwd line. Would I drop him, ask me after finals.

- Our gameplan is abit too one dimensional. Pacey, small teams give us trouble, long down the line to Hickey instead of NicNat is not sustainable.

- Hurn needs to lift.

- Wont comment on umps.

Play that game again in September and remove any one of:
Barrass chipping it to Lambert (I think?) directly in front 30m out
Barrass handballing to Tom Lynch in the goal square
Barrass letting a high ball bounce, then refusing to rush it, goal.

And we’re fine.

They’re three moments that immediately come to mind from one player alone. Do you realise how many gears most of our guys have to go to? Hurn was terrible, Barrass was terrible, Gov was bad, midfield was invisible for 90% of the game, Kennedy was invisible, we were a rotation down in the wet.

We lost by a goal to Richmond at the G. We’re sorted.

twadds

Senior List
Apr 14, 2008
Floreat
AFL Club
West Coast
Hold your nerve and you beat the Tigers, it’s that simple. They’re bloody brilliant at dialing up the pressure and forcing you to hack it long out of defence, they do it so well.

When you starve them of rebound opportunities, they’re toothless. Much easier said than done, but that first quarter is a testament to how deliberate and methodical ball use is the way to put it on them. Once you let them get numbers to a loose contest, it’s a whole different game.

Our game plan is their kryptonite, and funnily enougj theirs is probably ours. Makes for a remarkable battle, but we’ve seen we can make it work for us.
I’d like to think it would’ve been handy to have Schofield deep late in the game. Would’ve kept his head better than Barrass in those situations. No knock on young Rotham.

Aug 31, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What a wild ride. A fascinating game really in a lot of ways. First quarter excellent. They slowly took control in the second and then the rain came. Hutchings was a massive loss, he was shutting down Lambert, very similar to the Hawks game when he went off and Impey got off the chain.

We really dug in in that final term, just some defensive errors killed us. We simply don’t have the midfield, running depth that Richmond does. The loss of Hutchings hurt. Our mids had a down game, they are carrying a heavy load, but again we fell a kick short with everything against us. We are in this race no questions at all. I think Simmo will take a lot out of this game. And more experience in the wet can’t hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back