Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

So do I, but I prepare for the inevitable 3 goal win.
If we should happen to drop next weeks game against the Hawks (which won't be an easy match after a 6 day break) then it won't be a good way to go into a finals series following 2 consecutive losses. Hope for a win of course but not too confident after today's result as too many passengers in the second half today and the question is can they turn it around as I'm sure there will be a few sore boys after playing in the wet in a close match?

+ we still look good for a double chance

- We are 0-3 against the rest of the top 4 and have fallen short at every "big test"

I just can't shake the feeling that we aren't quite good enough this year. We are finding ways to lose the close ones, instead of winning them like we did last year.
Last year the hunger was there - this year not so much - in fact at times a bit of arrogance has crept into games both by players and coaching staff - eg Simmo being stubborn in not addressing changes that should be made during a game like letting Martin off the leash today. I know Hutch going down didn't help matters but surely there was somebody Simmo could have put on him. Also how many games have we managed to play 4 quarters instead of turning up for just 1 or 2. Just hope they have it under control for the finals as no time for lapses then.

POS

Defense: I don't agree with a lot of the statements here. Our defense withstood a massive and constant onslaught from their mids and forwards for 3 quarters!
Any team in the league would have coughed up more points. I concede TB handed them some absolutely *ed goals.
Ryan's one mark
Our first quarter had me dancing and crowing - short lived.
Cripps (my fav. player) was the only forward in my opinion who was worth a damn today.
We led by some miracle for 3 quarters - which means it WAS a winnable game

NEG

How nobody mentions in the media the clear rigged system whereby the Tigers have 2 months sitting at home? Where mentioned? Anyone see it as unfair in the AFL? Imagine the outcry if the Eagles had it 2 months at home?
Our midfield was garbage and it absolutely, 100% killed our game. We were dead in the water.
TB cracking under pressure
Our wet ball skills under fire again
Sheed and Shuey were a liability.
Yeo didn't do much.
Our poor forwards had so little supply. We gave it up just inside the 50 so often.
Sleepy quarters killing us this year.
Commentary team literally jerking off over Richmond. I hope they get hit by lightning.
HATE .. I say again, HATE that lolly-wrapper looking idiot Martin. Such an arrogant flog, wish someone would steam him flat. He drilled us.
Kennedy (not saying drop him) is well, well out of form. He hasn't done bugger all since coming back, except that anomalous 7 goaler.
Lastly, I think the umpiring has been great the last 3 games. Today, it was atrociously bad. So, so, so ridiculously inconsistent and horrible.

Melts over. Angry. Feel robbed to be honest.

The loss to Collingwood. Carlton's late flurry after we had them beat. Riewoldt kicking a winning goal today when a draw would have been fine.

Remove any of these and we'd be on track for top 2. Stings the nostrils.
Ah well. Losing to Brisbane after being five goals up. Losing to an average Port side just because it was cold as we couldnt deal with chaos ball. Getting flogged by Sydney despite them being s**t this year. Losing to an injury ridden Collingwood at home despite dominating almost the whole game. Being five goals up against Richmond and bottling it. Maybe we're not as good as we think. In fact that Swans game spoke volumes. They are average this year yet we lost by ten goals.

Ah well. Losing to Brisbane after being five goals up. Losing to an average Port side just because it was cold as we couldnt deal with chaos ball. Getting flogged by Sydney despite them being s**t this year. Losing to an injury ridden Collingwood at home despite dominating almost the whole game. Being five goals up against Richmond and bottling it. Maybe we're not as good as we think. In fact that Swans game spoke volumes. They are average this year yet we lost by ten goals.
The games where we were outplayed and soundly beaten ... that happens and you can't really complain. But the losses from winning positions, particularly at home, and the failure to press our advantage once 40 points up - that grinds my gears, particularly when you can now weigh the implications.

If we don't go B2B, the losses to Collingwood and Richmond are the ones I'll remember as having sunk our top 2 chances, both by a kick either way, both after we had handsome leads.

Of course, it's all still to play for in finals. But goddamn we should have a few extra points on the board.

Negative - the arrogance of thinking we do not need to go 110% for 4 quarters against a true contender.

Positive - despite this we were still good enough to only lose by a kick against an inform Richmond on the MCG.

Solution - drop the swagger, knuckle down and get the mentality back on track for September as we probably won’t get top 2.

The games where we were outplayed and soundly beaten ... that happens and you can't really complain. But the losses from winning positions, particularly at home, and the failure to press our advantage once 40 points up - that grinds my gears, particularly when you can now weigh the implications.

If we don't go B2B, the losses to Collingwood and Richmond are the ones I'll remember as having sunk our top 2 chances, both by a kick either way, both after we had handsome leads.

Of course, it's all still to play for in finals. But goddamn we should have a few extra points on the board.
Agree with what you’re saying but in both those games there were factors out of our control. Collingwood game we had a lot of sore guys, today we were a man down and playing in the wet which is leaning more towards Richmond’s strength than ours. In both games we were still only a kick away.

They’re obviously excuses and we need to be able to overcome them. At the end of the day no one remembers the circumstances, just the results. Just shows how hard it is to win flags. Absolutely everything has to go your way, especially on game day.. and you just have to find ways to win the ones where your back is against the wall. Something we did very well last year but haven’t quite this year.

Absolutely everything has to go your way, especially on game day.. and you just have to find ways to win the ones where your back is against the wall. Something we did very well last year but haven’t quite this year.
Although, this time last year we were 15-6 @120.8% compared to 15-6 @115.7%. Not bad for a premiers draw. We've had Geelong and Richmond away instead of at home. We're as good as last year, and probably in better shape going into the finals with Gaff and Shep in the team and the possibility of a Naitanui return. We've had some losses to average opponents, but we did the same last year as well.

This game has shades of last years round 22 about it. In 2018 we faced the demons. The Dees came to play against us and we eventually went down by 17 points. Despite the game being really close and us clawing our way back into it, we were pretty comprehensively outplayed. They ended up with dominating the stats in a much similar manner to our game against the tigers.

I remember being really melty at losing at home to the Dees. Im sure most of you would have as well. We also lost darling in the first quarter and suprise surprise we lose hutchings at quarter time!

What's does this mean? It's not over until the fat campaigner sings! (Insert campaigners know what happened next line ) We are still in this premeirship up to our eyeballs. A lot of 50 50s went against us including poor weather, poor umpiring, our FB having an absolute mare, mids being completely outplayed, losing Hutchings, Martin not having an opponent, wet weather. We halve these scenarios and we win.

As sad as it was to lose, it ain't over!!

Although, this time last year we were 15-6 @120.8% compared to 15-6 @115.7%. Not bad for a premiers draw. We've had Geelong and Richmond away instead of at home. We're as good as last year, and probably in better shape going into the finals with Gaff and Shep in the team and the possibility of a Naitanui return. We've had some losses to average opponents, but we did the same last year as well.
Exactly. We arent a bad side. We arent in bad form.

We lost a very close game to a good team on their deck.

Sometimes these losses are good just before finals. Steels everyone.

Since the Sydney loss weve won like 7 out of 9 with 2 losses of 1 point and 6 points to decent sides. Thats good lead up to finals form.

Need to now switch to finals mode and Im sure Simmo is all over it

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This game has shades of last years round 22 about it. In 2018 we faced the demons. The Dees came to play against us and we eventually went down by 17 points. Despite the game being really close and us clawing our way back into it, we were pretty comprehensively outplayed. They ended up with dominating the stats in a much similar manner to our game against the tigers.

I remember being really melty at losing at home to the Dees. Im sure most of you would have as well. We also lost darling in the first quarter and suprise surprise we lose hutchings at quarter time!

What's does this mean? It's not over until the fat campaigner sings! (Insert campaigners know what happened next line ) We are still in this premeirship up to our eyeballs. A lot of 50 50s went against us including poor weather, poor umpiring, our FB having an absolute mare, mids being completely outplayed, losing Hutchings, Martin not having an opponent, wet weather. We halve these scenarios and we win.

As sad as it was to lose, it ain't over!!
We'd take a lot away from that. The Tigers had to play at their absolute best to beat us and only just got the job done. They'll be happy with the win but won't feel like they've got our measure by any stretch. We'll be down at the loss, but we'll have plenty to pick apart for a potential finals match.

"However, while the defeat might sting temporarily on the return flight home for the Eagles, there is a sense this rivalry isn't done yet in season 2019. See you again in September? "

But for two straight kicks we’d be top of the ladder. Tight, tight, tight.

Richmond kicked 13 goals

1st: Gov short pass doesn't quite find Gaff, leads to shot 30m out in front
7th: Barrass chips to Lambert 30m out in front
8th: Shuey kick into Hurn's face leads to Dusty goal
9th: Shuey kicking in danger against Soldo, 30m out in front
11th: Barrass turns into trouble, hand passes into trouble, then tackles Lynch high, 6m out
12th: Hurn miskick to Waterman, Riewoldt throw, goal Lynch
13th: Barrass refuses to rush with 4 mins playing time left, leads to goal

By contrast, the only soft/gifted goal for us was the Rioli free kick goal, thought that was a bit lucky. And there probably should have been a mark to Soldo at the top of the goalsquare.

Realistically, if some of our best players handled only a couple of these incidents slightly better, it would've gone a long way towards a different result.

Pretty much sums up the game and our back line yesterday, whilst disappointing, and as much as it pissed me off during the game, taking some time to reflect on it, our back line has been a saviour for a long time, and to have one rare bad game as a group over the last few years is forgive able .

Hi guys , bad luck today & certainly a great game ! Just on the 7 games at home to finish , the Pies actually had more game at the g this year than us , we actually did our travelling early & played a few at Marvel earlier in the year !

We from memory will end up playing 13 at the g which is not to far different from u guys at your home deck ! Obviously u guys do a lot more travelling than us though all over the country!

Unfortunately with travel factors & an uneven draw there will always be these things that never make it a completely level playing field !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bold, the AFL could fix this if they want by giving the interstate sides a few more games at home ie: yesterdays game should have been in Perth if it was a fair competition. I'm tipping even though you admit it will never be a level playing field you are ok with it staying at the status quo.

+ we still look good for a double chance

- We are 0-3 against the rest of the top 4 and have fallen short at every "big test"

I just can't shake the feeling that we aren't quite good enough this year. We are finding ways to lose the close ones, instead of winning them like we did last year.
Our form has got better, and I don't think any of the top 4 has beaten another of them away from home?

We've lost to all 3 away, rnd 1 is a long time ago and a lot has changed for both teams, and Geelong would now be at the g which is much better suited to us than gmhba.

Yesterday's loss was disappointing, but we completely outran them in the dry with our switch play. As soon as we lost a runner then the weather came in our 1-wood was taken out of our bag. And there where still 5-6 moments where 50/50 contests went there way (some luck, some they won).

We'll be ok, win this week, rest up and get either an inexperienced Brisbane or Geelong off a bye (or with a lot of luck a home final).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The bold, the AFL could fix this if they want by giving the interstate sides a few more games at home ie: yesterdays game should have been in Perth if it was a fair competition. I'm tipping even though you admit it will never be a level playing field you are ok with it staying at the status quo.

Should the Tigers make the GF it would likely mean they have played the final three months at their home ground and travelled a grand total of zero km.

If that isnt rigging the fixture I dont know what is.

But the AFL want their crowd numbers up and stuff the integrity of the competition.

If we should happen to drop next weeks game against the Hawks (which won't be an easy match after a 6 day break) then it won't be a good way to go into a finals series following 2 consecutive losses. Hope for a win of course but not too confident after today's result as too many passengers in the second half today and the question is can they turn it around as I'm sure there will be a few sore boys after playing in the wet in a close match?
Hawks palyed after us on Sunday - lets not become excuse finders.

Pretty much sums up the game and our back line yesterday, whilst disappointing, and as much as it pi**ed me off during the game, taking some time to reflect on it, our back line has been a saviour for a long time, and to have one rare bad game as a group over the last few years is forgive able .
The karma bus arrived for the high pants boys

Those Riewoldt calls are stud first calls. You arent allowed to put the foot out like that anymore. Need to use any other part of your body but studs.
Apparently the rule refers to the potential to cause injury not having studs up as a blanket rule. I think we both agree there was no potential to cause injury. The AFL signing off Jeremy Howe's free kick was a wrong decision

Pretty much sums up the game and our back line yesterday, whilst disappointing, and as much as it pi**ed me off during the game, taking some time to reflect on it, our back line has been a saviour for a long time, and to have one rare bad game as a group over the last few years is forgive able .

Back line is the easy target. Admittedly Barrass had a few 'forgettable' moments but constant pressure can do that sometimes.

After quarter time our midfield never controlled the game and it seemed liked the ball was coming in too often and too easily. IMO - as a unit they stood up reasonably well.

Anyone got inside 50 stats?

As an aside who was Nelson on?

Serious question didn't see a lot of him but he was also largely unheralded against Crows but Lynch (his Crows opponent) had a quiet day.

Rain was not a factor. Lack of ability win contested footy and clearances for 3qtrs was the differences.

No midfielder stood up to assert dominance and control when it counted.

Poor coaching too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back