Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Great Game and an awesome season but at times (Port Adelaide, Collingwood last Quarter and vs Richmond) we get stuck in our defensive 50 and just kick to the wing to an outnumbered contest. Very annoying that this is still an issue compounded more by really bad decision making yesterdays coming out of defence which led to the limited inside 50's
So you are thinking the old long kick to Nic?

Oct 17, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok after calming down a bit, from my emotions yesterday I wanted to state my take on the game.

A few things really stood out for me.....

The dominance in the ruck by Soldo and the Sudanese dude, Chol I think it was. Although Hickey kicked a goal and had the upper hand in the first quarter, he was comprehensively out played in the last 3 quarters. Also, one thing I noticed, the taps he did win, didn't really go anywhere, but straight down. I don't know if this was a once off, but his defitiencies were we;; and truly exposed yesterday.

The ability of Richmond to change the game into there style of play. Everyone will say that we can't play in the wet. However, I think we actually improved our game after 1/2 time and were able to quell Dusty's influence some what. There was alot similar to the Brissy game at the start of the year. The difference being we actually were able to go up a gear in the last.

Our defence had their colours lowered today and folded a number of times under the Tiger pressure. There must have been more to Shoey going out because, he would have been good against either Jack or Lynch. However, to keep us within a goal; in the end, is either good defending, luck or perserverance or a mixture of both.

Shuey was soundly beaten by Prestia. What made it worst was his foot skills and decision making in general. A very unlike Shuey performance. One I think he will review over and over. Every player has their bad days, no matter how good they are. He wasn't alone with the skill and decision making though. Barrass and Redden come to mind.

Please tell me how the tigers had so many players loose. It always seemed like every time they blindly tapped or kicked the ball forward they had an extra 2-3 players in the open. It appears our players weren't working hard enough.

I feel for hutch. He did a good job on Lambert before he went down and I think is a part of the reason the Tiger's got on top in the 2nd quarter.
Once again an injury comes at the worst time, but that's footy and we have to deal with it.

Losing yesterday, I believe is a positive. Yes, I wanted us to win,mostly so I din't have to listen to the Vic media crapping on all week about how good RIchmond are. They came up against a side that lost their tagger after 1/4 time and they haven't had to travel for 6 weeks. :mad:
I think it may have been a sign to to the boys, that that is what we may come up against in the GF. I think we will make it regardless on who we play in the QF or PM.

Now Tom Lynch is a good forward, but is overated for mine. They showed the stat up saying he has dominated the since round 15. It's convenient that the Tigers havent had to travel since then isn't it........

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Just wanted to talk about Waterman's game, I'm no fan but I can see we can't not play him from now on. If I had 10 minutes with him I could fix his demeanor, the guy basically is lacking "Mongrel". If he could become an aggressive animal he would be elite imo but being introverted and timid will be his downfall in AFL if he can't over come it.
I believe you, it takes a lot less than 10 minutes for you to change my demeanor.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
+ Sublime first quarter.
+ JD till he got the corkie was unstoppable.
+ Gaff worked his butt off.
+ A man down.
+ the fact that im struggling to find five positives and yet we could still have stolen the game.

- Barass! Mate other than the obvious cockups, you went back to your bruise free method of spoiling.As soon as Reiwold sees an incoming kick he makes body contact.He needs to be hit with full body spoils not a hang of the arm.
- Rotham! i know your inexperienced but if you dive or fall over one more time ill scream! KEEP YOUR FEET!!!!! This is AFL not WAFL.
- Sheed.What a dog of a game.No tackles? My grandma could move faster than you.Much as ive not been a big fan i think AhChee offers more.
- The Richmond talls weren't trying to mark around midfield,they were punching over the back.Did we have any numbers behind the pack to stop the out the back? No!
- With every man in defence was it necessary to have 3-5 men within 20m of goals with nobody to mark? That meant they had numbers forward of the pack where everybody was punching to.
- Nelson.Gotta go! Sorry mate but your like a deer in the headlights at times.You MUST move to the ball or the incoming contest.Not wait for it to come to you.
- Waterman to soft for me.You cant wait for somebody to get the ball then tackle!Get stuck in and at least try to halve the contest.
- Outcoached! If your losing why not have more players out, to kick to when coming out of defence.? You cant win a game if you have nobody to kick goals.Its too hard to run,chip,and handball out of defence on a wet greasy day.
- Why not run Ryan through the middle? He was so clean in the wet.Hes got speed and nous.All very well to have a gun forward line but useless if you cant get the ball there.
- Lucky to be so close.
- Umpires screwed us.
- Tackling? A new concept i know!
- Simmo if your looking for an edge introduce your players to a thing called sheppherding.Grab a couple of primary school kids to teach them.

I wouldn't be quite so harsh, but there's a seed or two of truth in what you have put down there.

omarlittle1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I wonder if not tagging Dusty was us holding something back for finals, don't play your cards too early etc etc
A few people have raised this point and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's not as if it's some "secret method" that we can spring on them unexpectedly in the finals. It's exactly what we did to him last year and we had a guaranteed top 2 position on the line yesterday.

It's intellectually disingenuous to assume the reason Dusty got off the chain was because Simpson had some "secret strategy" that he was unwilling to show to Richmond. We lost our tagger in the first quater and Yeo (who actually did spend quite a bit of time on him yesterday) was down on his usual output, as was our entire midfield.

Dusty is a quality player who got off the chain and we didn't have the strategic nous or ideal player (Hutchings) available to shut him down. I think it's pretty much as simple as that.

Perhaps both sides did play some strategic cards close to their chests in preparation for finals, but i don't think deliberately not tagging Dusty, after he was tearing us a new one was one of them.

(PS I'm not trying to have a go, it's just i've seen a few different posters try and make the case for Simpson strategically not tagging Dusty as some kind of cloak and dagger move and I just don't think it's even close to being true. Even if it was it's all conjecture on our part anyways.)

wraglesweb

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I think simmo knows what he gets from Schoey so he wanted to try Rotham. we have depth and we are in decent form 7-2 last 9 games. Duggan comes in for Hutch. maybe cameron for Petch cuz apart from his pace he realy does not offer mu

We just played the so called experts of the G. Dusty played one of his best games of the season, hard to top that and weather was putrid and we lost by only one goal. No sir, this is vastly different to optimism. We are 100% one of the contenders with or without NN. Tigers basically gave it everything they had with 1 billion indise 50's. For them to win against us they need weather, dusty to replicate that again and Shuey Hurn Sheed and Barras plus JK to all have bad game again. I suggest you watch the game again.
Do think the margin flattered us a bit but will take it onboard :thumbsu:

wraglesweb

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
A few people have raised this point and it makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's not as if it's some "secret method" that we can spring on them unexpectedly in the finals. It's exactly what we did to him last year and we had a guaranteed top 2 position on the line yesterday.

It's intellectually disingenuous to assume the reason Dusty got off the chain was because Simpson had some "secret strategy" that he was unwilling to show to Richmond. We lost our tagger in the first quater and Yeo (who actually did spend quite a bit of time on him yesterday) was down on his usual output, as was our entire midfield.

Dusty is a quality player who got off the chain and we didn't have the strategic nous or ideal player (Hutchings) available to shut him down. I think it's pretty much as simple as that.

Perhaps both sides did play some strategic cards close to their chests in preparation for finals, but i don't think deliberately not tagging Dusty, after he was tearing us a new one was one of them.

(PS I'm not trying to have a go, it's just i've seen a few different posters try and make the case for Simpson strategically not tagging Dusty as some kind of cloak and dagger move and I just don't think it's even close to being true. Even if it was it's all conjecture on our part anyways.)
Yeo had a good game definietly can hold his head up high unlike some others.

West World

Team Captain
May 18, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Though Rotham went well, again. Shows a bit of confidence and doesn't rush his disposal.
Thought Ryan and Rioli were going to tear it up after the 1st qtr, yeah nahh.
Cripps showed why he is our best and most important small forward.
Hutchings going off early hurt, Grimes not staying off injured hurt just as much.
Barrass, oh dear. Nuf said.
Kennedy and Darling get nothing from the Umps, nothing.

Stick a bloody tackle on Martin, OMG the amount of times.

Went down by one kick to one of the form teams on their own turf in their preferred conditions, not all bad.
The other results, well they definitely didn't go our way.

Come on you Blue baggers!!!!!!!! Big upset boys.

What infuriates me is that Kennedy and Darling get man handled all game and the refs ignor it but are whistle happy when they do the same to the defenders. You can see them thinking wtf you let this sh!t go and call play on but if a forward does it bang, free against.

Kennedy especially.

Numero Uno

Club Legend
Mar 28, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Imagine the uproar if we finished the season with 7 H+A games at home plus a likely “away” final, which they’ll probably win, leading to a home prelim and GF (where they’ll more than likely be the lowest ranked side). Potentially 10 games on the trot in the same city at the same ******* ground. Meanwhile we’re being sent to every corner of the country for our away games.

and the vic media would be whingeing about it constantly

and if we actually won the flag every single Vic commentator would say we did not deserve it !!

Already engraving the cup.

8f0c4a3dbe0fa3b26553e9f036670c27.jpg

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I think what you saw was us trying to win a game with all we had at our disposal...and we didn't succeed, nothing more, nothing less. No smoke and mirrors, no secret tactics held back (I mean, really? we needed to win this game to lock in 2nd spot!).
We can bang on about umpires and wet weather, and Tigers 7 game streak at home, and how arrogant Riewoldt is, and Hutch going out, no tagger, Darling's hip-cork (I'm sure he got hit in same spot, twice more) and how bad our defence was, and how we'll win with Nicnat etc etc..
We win games in the wet, we win regardless of umpires or injuries on the day, we win games away and at the mcg, we win games without NN, we won a GF without him or Shep or Gaff remember?

People seem to think only we've improved or are the ones to beat, from within our bubble. Richmond have improved since we played them last, they've done their homework on us, they needed to get in the top 4, and they beat us fair and square! (Has Dusty beefed up, seems bigger than last time?)
Post match Hardwick said "Eagles got us in the stoppages and were really clean kicks on goals -we need to improve in those areas!" The game doesn't stand still.

It was just one of those really close games where every little thing counted, and we lost by a kick.
If we play Tigers again at Optus or MCG in the dry, we 'might' beat them, without a man down, with a tagger on Dusty, with better decision making, if Shuey, Yeo, and the midfield stand up, with a complete effort from 22 players on the day and all that jazz! But that one got away. They're crowing on the Tigers site and slagging the Eagles as pretenders, payback is a bitch as they say!
It is only a home and away game, as vital as it was. We have a record of losing one before finals in GF years if that helps...as some kind of voodoo magic thing to make you feel better?
And sure, Nic nat back would be a big boost, (if he doesn't get injured again and leave us one short on the bench, in a crucial game?)
It's not the end of the world, yet. Beat Hawks next week, pretty simple.
Personally, I don't want to see any champagne footy s**t whenever we get a lead on, I want to see hard, ruthless footy to the end of each game and the season.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
I think what you saw was us trying to win a game with all we had at our disposal...and we didn't succeed, nothing more, nothing less. No smoke and mirrors, no secret tactics held back (I mean, really? we needed to win this game to lock in 2nd spot!).
We can bang on about umpires and wet weather, and Tigers 7 game streak at home, and how arrogant Riewoldt is, and Hutch going out, no tagger, Darling's hip-cork (I'm sure he got hit in same spot, twice more) and how bad our defence was, and how we'll win with Nicnat etc etc..
We win games in the wet, we win regardless of umpires or injuries on the day, we win games away and at the mcg, we win games without NN, we won a GF without him or Shep or Gaff remember?

People seem to think only we've improved or are the ones to beat, from within our bubble. Richmond have improved since we played them last, they've done their homework on us, they needed to get in the top 4, and they beat us fair and square! (Has Dusty beefed up, seems bigger than last time?)
Post match Hardwick said "Eagles got us in the stoppages and were really clean kicks on goals -we need to improve in those areas!" The game doesn't stand still.

It was just one of those really close games where every little thing counted, and we lost by a kick.
If we play Tigers again at Optus or MCG in the dry, we 'might' beat them, without a man down, with a tagger on Dusty, with better decision making, if Shuey, Yeo, and the midfield stand up, with a complete effort from 22 players on the day and all that jazz! But that one got away. They're crowing on the Tigers site and slagging the Eagles as pretenders, payback is a bitch as they say!
It is only a home and away game, as vital as it was. We have a record of losing one before finals in GF years if that helps...as some kind of voodoo magic thing to make you feel better?
And sure, Nic nat back would be a big boost, (if he doesn't get injured again and leave us one short on the bench, in a crucial game?)
It's not the end of the world, yet. Beat Hawks next week, pretty simple.
Personally, I don't want to see any champagne footy s**t whenever we get a lead on, I want to see hard, ruthless footy to the end of each game and the season.
Furthermore - remember melbourne besting us a few weeks before finals

Nek minut....

Back