Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok after calming down a bit, from my emotions yesterday I wanted to state my take on the game.

A few things really stood out for me.....

The dominance in the ruck by Soldo and the Sudanese dude, Chol I think it was. Although Hickey kicked a goal and had the upper hand in the first quarter, he was comprehensively out played in the last 3 quarters. Also, one thing I noticed, the taps he did win, didn't really go anywhere, but straight down. I don't know if this was a once off, but his defitiencies were we;; and truly exposed yesterday.

The ability of Richmond to change the game into there style of play. Everyone will say that we can't play in the wet. However, I think we actually improved our game after 1/2 time and were able to quell Dusty's influence some what. There was alot similar to the Brissy game at the start of the year. The difference being we actually were able to go up a gear in the last.

Our defence had their colours lowered today and folded a number of times under the Tiger pressure. There must have been more to Shoey going out because, he would have been good against either Jack or Lynch. However, to keep us within a goal; in the end, is either good defending, luck or perserverance or a mixture of both.

Shuey was soundly beaten by Prestia. What made it worst was his foot skills and decision making in general. A very unlike Shuey performance. One I think he will review over and over. Every player has their bad days, no matter how good they are. He wasn't alone with the skill and decision making though. Barrass and Redden come to mind.

Please tell me how the tigers had so many players loose. It always seemed like every time they blindly tapped or kicked the ball forward they had an extra 2-3 players in the open. It appears our players weren't working hard enough.

I feel for hutch. He did a good job on Lambert before he went down and I think is a part of the reason the Tiger's got on top in the 2nd quarter.
Once again an injury comes at the worst time, but that's footy and we have to deal with it.

Losing yesterday, I believe is a positive. Yes, I wanted us to win,mostly so I din't have to listen to the Vic media crapping on all week about how good RIchmond are. They came up against a side that lost their tagger after 1/4 time and they haven't had to travel for 6 weeks. :mad:
I think it may have been a sign to to the boys, that that is what we may come up against in the GF. I think we will make it regardless on who we play in the QF or PM.

Now Tom Lynch is a good forward, but is overated for mine. They showed the stat up saying he has dominated the since round 15. It's convenient that the Tigers havent had to travel since then isn't it........
Sums it up well, I am surprised how close we got given them dominated us for 2 quarters we cannot win a game kicking 2 goals in one hour of footy

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
In all our losses (especially the big ones) we've struggled to break through oppositions press and score.

We really on marking the ball down the line so much that we do not have a Plan B.

Simmo still hasn't fixed this all season.

Other issue is our midfield's inability to win contested ball. We lack numbers at the contest.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Graham said on radio tonight that Darling was struggling after that hit he got in the 2nd. Add in no Hutch from the 1st, and it was a fairly amazing effort to fight it out so well in the last
JD wanted to replicate the lead in to last year (getting knocked out in Rd 22). Copped knee to the hip instead.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
I think one of the marked differences from last year (and from 2015, when I think we played even better footy) is that we're being more conservative bringing the ball out of defensive 50.
Hurn in particular is taking very few chances, preferring to kick down the wings to contest rather than attempt to break the play open with a kick into the corridor. Jetta, and to a lesser extent, McGovern, are the only players that seem to look inboard for counter attacks.
Against Richmond we played right into their hands by hack kicking it out of defensive 50 or kicking to contests, off which they had the ground ball superiority. It's not easy to attempt risky kicks in the wet or try to run the ball out under great pressure, but I think the players have an unfortunate tendency to lose their heads in these situations and revert to playing easy footy that's not consistent with how we usually play.

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I think one of the marked differences from last year (and from 2015, when I think we played even better footy) is that we're being more conservative bringing the ball out of defensive 50.
Hurn in particular is taking very few chances, preferring to kick down the wings to contest rather than attempt to break the play open with a kick into the corridor. Jetta, and to a lesser extent, McGovern, are the only players that seem to look inboard for counter attacks.
Against Richmond we played right into their hands by hack kicking it out of defensive 50 or kicking to contests, off which they had the ground ball superiority. It's not easy to attempt risky kicks in the wet or try to run the ball out under great pressure, but I think the players have an unfortunate tendency to lose their heads in these situations and revert to playing easy footy that's not consistent with how we usually play.

I think we discussed similar a couple of weeks ago. Im thinking (and hoping) that we do have some plans for those kick ins beyond the usual 'kick it long to the right hand boundary', that we are keeping up our sleves for the finals. We have seen occssionally Jetta kicking long to a lone lead near the middle or LH sie of the ground or, Jetta hitting up a short target at 40m, running past for the hands and then pumping a long ball to the forward flank. A few times this has come of very well and a couple it hasnt quite hit the mark but the ball is still well clear of the defensive zone.
Im not sure how shrewd Simmo is and if he would withhold this for so long with a veiw to use it in the finals more regularly, but the fact it has been very effective yet we havent used it much at all has me thinking we have trialled it occassionally to be brought out in finals and give opposition coaches much less time to work out a counter punch..

Aug 14, 2009
Port Kennedy
AFL Club
West Coast
My iPad (yes I had to watch on a ******* iPad cos the channel 7 * t a r d s decided a match between the last 2 premiers should be delayed) copped a ******* spray when that umpire didn't award the deliberate out of bounds in the last quarter. I wish I could remember it but in the heat of the moment lets just say a line of asterixs will suffice.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
In all our losses (especially the big ones) we've struggled to break through oppositions press and score.

We really on marking the ball down the line so much that we do not have a Plan B.

Simmo still hasn't fixed this all season.

Other issue is our midfield's inability to win contested ball. We lack numbers at the contest.
He and his assistants will study this game before finals. They have reverted to plan B in other games, he's admitted they have plans to counter the different tactics used against them this season-which tend to be 2-3 generic ones used by the opposition. We certainly need to be ready for the relentless high-pressured closely-contested surge style. Although we've played plenty of that type of footy, including the GF?.

But I think in this game, there were other factors involved and you have to wonder how this game and it's stats and tactics and results would have panned out in dry sunny weather at the Gee? But looking at the game again, there was just so much panic kicking and disposal, high bombs etc -all pressure and perceived pressure, and it's easy to forget on the TV at least, the rain was belting down for much of the 2nd half. It often looks clear through the cameras, during play.
We live to fight another day and hopefully get another shot at Richmond, or maybe another team will dent their finals hopes?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
After our early season losses to Brisbane and Port in slippery/wet conditions I was convinced that we had no plan B for those conditions (but a marvelous plan A in dry).

Credit to Simmo and co; they made some tweaks and we have performed much better in the wet in the second half of the season (e.g. Freo and Hawks wins).

But we aren't going to go from zero to hero in the space of one season. Besting the current Tiges in the wet at the G is the absolute peak. If not for the dryer conditions in the first half, we probably lose by more (and vice versa).

We really have had bad luck this year weather-wise. Hopefully our luck will turn come finals time.

French Tiger

Premiership Player
Oct 4, 2004
Albury
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa ,Goldern State
The bold, the AFL could fix this if they want by giving the interstate sides a few more games at home ie: yesterdays game should have been in Perth if it was a fair competition. I'm tipping even though you admit it will never be a level playing field you are ok with it staying at the status quo.

Yeah it’s a hard one , the premier league teams play each other twice which is as fair as it gets , One home one away ! Obviously would never work with our season as 12 more rounds is ridiculous & they don’t have a bulk of the teams in the one city !

Not a bad suggestion you made , but on the other hand would u trade basically all your home games where the crowd is totally one sided , for home games where u played heaps of other Perth teams where the crowd was roughly 50/50 & no real advantage ?

I’m pretty sure you would be happy with staying at the status quo as well !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Yeah it’s a hard one , the premier league teams play each other twice which is as fair as it gets , One home one away ! Obviously would never work with our season as 12 more rounds is ridiculous & they don’t have a bulk of the teams in the one city !

Not a bad suggestion you made , but on the other hand would u trade basically all your home games where the crowd is totally one sided , for home games where u played heaps of other Perth teams where the crowd was roughly 50/50 & no real advantage ?

I reckon we'd be fine with it, if only they'd have the grand final at the ground of the highest ranked team! Oh well, it's what we signed off on. We should have held off like the sanfl and formed a true AFL with new clubs instead of joining the VFL

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS

In a heart beat i would do that, having a 50/50 crowd over huge amounts of travel is a no brainer, i'm sure if you asked your club they would in a heart beat say we are ok with a 50/50 crowd rather than travelling more, FWIW this is not Richmonds fault, blame lays fairly and squarely with the AFL and the fixturing, but you can't deny this has given Richmond a huge advantage.

And whilst i understand if we want to be part of the competition , travel is what we have to do it be nice to have to do it a few less times each season.

Tom_Thumb

Club Legend
Feb 1, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Iv'e seen enough this year to see the Killer in us just isn't there. Making up the numbers this year :)

Shifty1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Negative: Lost the footy tipping by one after eventual winner picks the Hawks. Cost me $1200. Does anyone know where to contact the club to pay me my lost winnings?

Back