Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Negative:
-Bad Barrass was back with gusto, goes to water when he plays Richmond
-Sheed panicked the whole game with his disposal, was like watching Masten again

Positives:
-Williams did some nice things in his first game
- O'Neill played very well
-Duggan, Rotham and Cole showed a bit in the backline

I don't think it's fair to count Reid as a negative, even if many will. I'd say the negative is the drafting process which either prioritised the narrative over actual substance, or was in place to provide other players with incentive to come to our reserves side (which we may not see again, funnily enough).

It was clear from watching him at WAFL level that he is not capable of playing AFL standard football. He hasn't proven me wrong in his 3 games.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives
+ Duggan was composed and played a great game
+ Even though we lost, we showed that we can still play decent footy in QLD. We should win our last 4 games

Negatives
- Kennedy out - most likely won't play next week
- We comprehensively lost the territory battle and we seemed to lose our structure and shape
- We're the #1 contested marking team in the comp but lost CM by 2-10

Jed Clampet

Team Captain
Oct 1, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Negatives:
As above Sheed, panicked Richmond took away his left side so no other options. Went back to trying to tackle with one arm.
Barrass, well beaten got frustrated and made silly mistakes.
Reid
2 - 3 players going up left them runners on the outside.

Positives:
Williams and O'Neill look good real potential there.
Duggan tough as nails and never gives up.
Cole great attack on the footy, works hard, wouldn't look out of place in the midfield.

whatis

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Duggan playing like a leader.
+ Another game into Rotham. Starting to feel comfortable when he has the ball in hand.
+ Seemed like Cripps was fired up and more involved that he has been for a while. Handy with so many other invisible guys down there.
+ A lot to like about O'Neill. Needs to play the rest of the season.

- Robbed of getting to see another game featuring the great man Kennedy.
- Costly 8 point loss. Hope we can still make top 4.
- Riewoldt kicking a goal.
- Sheed's tackling still an issue.
- Barrass goes to water(s**t?) against Richmond. Again.
- Hutch was off the pace.
- Reid doesn't look up to it.
- Overall it looked like we didn't have the right mix of composure and intensity out there which I put down to so many changes recently plus the short break.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
our defenders need to learn that when things don't go well in the air, they should adapt and be ready to stop the tigers crumbers at ground level. We didn't learn this and guys like Rotham/Gov/TB were all going for the same contest and letting those w***ers through

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
We still have a game in hand to those above us, we have won 8 in a row, were going to lose sooner or later, they are not a bad side. Tigers have a bye coming up and a tough game against Geelong. We could quite easily be a game and half in front of the Tigers by the time it all evens up. We have some good ins still to come, bad loss but not the end of the world.

Positives:

+ Ryan was our best forward in the hub last time and played a ripper.
+ Naitanui is still unreal
+ Duggan's best game for the club, Cole rose to the occasion too
+ Cripps' best game for me, certainly stood up when it counted
+ O'Neill went when it was his turn. Great to see
+ We're not five goals off the pace here. Tigers kicked 14.1 with three rushed behinds. Few frustrating frees thrown in directly in front of goal, or not paid in our goalsquare, though the Darling hold off the ball was very soft it must be said. Fired him up a bit. I'm worried about the fixture crunch, but I'm not worried with how we stack up against Richmond. One of this bounce of the ball goes the other way games.
+ We responded time and time again. Let ourselves get too far off the pace, but yet again it was Naitanui firing us forward and getting us going when we needed it. A few must respond moments and we did. In the end the margin was too great and that final defensive breakdown to Dusty killed it.

- Happened in the Carlton game and happened badly tonight - dropped intercept marks. Kill the contest to the third tier if you're uneasy. Too many times we drop marks and see it snapped directly over our head for a goal. A real flaw in the game is if you go for them and they don't stick.
- Kennedy's injury
- Reid has a ceiling. It's a nice story but he just isn't up to AFL speed yet. Finds himself out of position even though he chases hard, he's just not quite at the level. Maybe Cameron again? Lack of options is telling.
- Fixture crunch coming up. Conditions weren't dreadful tonight but did creep in for both sides. Cole/Ryan/Duggan super clean, most others battled throughout the night.
- Some goal kicking let offs, no real howlers but we definitely left some goals out there.
- Only seven points scored off our halfback line, which is our bread and butter scoring avenue. Troubling.

We weren't all the way on, they kicked 14.1. They deserved to win, they denied us our game style nicely, hats off to a good side. It wasn't a four goal game, and if you played it again on another day it could well have been us with the kicking boots and them scoring a frustrating scoreline. We're in a fine position against Richmond. Time to navigate a tough hub stretch, and get into home finals.

Win all four and we're top four. Richmond or Geelong or Brisbane or Port drop a game somewhere, it opens the door right up. Season's on folks, season is well and truly on. Fire up campaigners.

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
A bit left field but Duggan and Cole stood out for me tonight. On a night that McGovern and Barrass were not so much beaten but tactically nullified, I thought those two held their own down back and used the ball well.
I'm not sure about tactically nullified, I would guess that McGovern had close to double digit dropped marks tonight.

They weren't easy, but most nights he takes 4-5 of those.

Positive was that we played ok and finished poorly. I think we gain more getting Yeo back than they do with Prestia, and obviously others. We can go with them (and have seen their tactics around NN so have time to work on how to counter it), and shouldn't hold any fear meeting them in finals (they kicked crazy straight, got some cheap frees - we got a couple too, but missed 2 obvious ones in our goalsquare - and they executed a little better).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ThePuma #9

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, FC Barcelona
Negatives.
Nic Nat looked buggered, prob could have used the rest in retrospect.

Concussion for J.K.

Barrass and Mcgovern had stinkers.

We struggle against physical teams. Too many broken tackles and chains through traffic.

Disposal was pretty sloppy all night.

Richmond like to hold, scrap and seem to get away with a fair bit of it. I think the umps put the whistle away for a good chunk of the game which is fine... if you do it every week.

Positives.
We got to blood Bailey. Kid has a future.

Considering all the obstacles we faced in this match due to travel, turn around in games, lack of key personnel and some dubious umpiring decisions I’m not even mad.

Richmond were the better side but I think our outs far outweigh theirs in importance to the way we play.

Ryan played his heart out.

I’m sure there are plenty more positives and negatives I could think of but these are the ones that come to mind.

The Gov

McLovin' it
Jun 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond have so many small forwards that are one touch players, can crumb, take the first option inside 50 and get front and centre of marking contests, we have Ryan who doesn't do that as much as he could but does more than enough elsewhere and the rest of them don't offer that at all. We've had better players out but structurally can't remember missing a player as much as Willie

FOLD THE CLUB :shrug:

+ Tommy Cole was outstanding. Very cool under pressure and looked like our most creative defender tonight. 21 touches at 81%

+ Solid 4 quarter games from Sheed (26), Shuey (27) and Kelly (26)

+ Darling answering the call in the third. Turned out it was a cameo performance more than anything, could've had 5.

+ 16 touches, 4 marks, 2 tackles and 315 metres gained for Xavier is a big tick. Literally better than anything "Mr A" has done in his career.

+ Frustrating night watching Ryan, it could have been enormous. 12 touches, 3 tackles, 3 goals and i'm presuming a shitload of score involvments.

- Not sure of his contract status but Hurn really shouldn't be continuing his career beyond 2020. He's borderline not B22 at the moment.

- Reid surely in the OUTS this week. Gone a week too late on that one i reckon. Disappointing he was retained and we paid the price for it.

- Really DON'T want Brander in the backline. Looked so unassured of himself back there. This game was a backward step unfortunately.

- Quiet game from McGovern. Had a feeling that'd happen, he rarely gets off the leash against them since they learned their scrappy gamestyle.

- Couldn't get our game going AT ALL. No kick and mark. No switching. No clean skills by foot. No ball movement. We threw it all out tonight.

- Conversely we let the Richmond flogs play their absolute typical and disgusting game. In fact we tried to play it as well, bad idea.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I'm not sure about tactically nullified, I would guess that McGovern had close to double digit dropped marks tonight.

They weren't easy, but most nights he takes 4-5 of those.

Positive was that we played ok and finished poorly. I think we gain more getting Yeo back than they do with Prestia, and obviously others. We can go with them (and have seen their tactics around NN so have time to work on how to counter it), and shouldn't hold any fear meeting them in finals (they kicked crazy straight, got some cheap frees - we got a couple too, but missed 2 obvious ones in our goalsquare - and they executed a little better).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I only say tactically nullified because Gov didn't seem as prominent tonight as usual and Barrass was left one-out a lot more than usual. Richmond had a plan and executed it well but you're right about Gov taking more of those marks.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
A couple years back I had this perception that Brodie Smith was a speed freak and he was tearing game off half back. While he was/is a serious player, he wasn't a speed demon. What he did really well was hit contests/ball at speed and explode away from players because of it. Now I'm seeing something very similar from Duggo. He's finally got the strength and size to break through the stationary tackles as well.

One if not the best game I've seen him play.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
+ Nothing to be ashamed of. Everything conspired against us that game. From the FIXturing, tribunal get out of jail, decimated by injuries, the most one sided maggot shafting of the year, Richmond's one in a year accuracy and we still pushed them all the way.
+ Some magnificent performances from our senior players Nic, Shuey, Sheed, Kelly, Darling Ryan, Gaff, Shep, Duggan, Cole
+ Yeo, Kennedy, Redden, Nelson, OAllen, Waterman is a power of talent in the stands
+ Good return from Hutchings but understandably faded

- the gulf in talent between the senior players and fringe is massive. Of the under 20 gamers only XON broke even, everyone else was a complete liability and this cost us the game.
- ffs play Jetta. See above. Why play spuds and kids who aren't ready when you have a seasoned Ferrari in the stands. Play him in the forward pocket even
- defense was poo, some of the marking attempts when a spoil was warranted was criminal.
- Richmond should push 50 free kicks against every week. Their game style is full blown illegal scragging all day and hope the umpires get embarrassed pinging them, which they did
- Barrass is a poor defender imo
- Hurn is cooked
- Cripps has been s**t all year

Last edited:

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
+ Duggan real good
Cole took em on and did well
Xon got better as the game went on, he's a stayer
Williams was OK, cocked that goal up, he made time then didn't use it but he'll get better.

- Reid, Ah Chee and Brander were poor.
Hurn is so slow, it looks like sprinting isn't in his repertoire anymore and he is just mosying around.
Umps gave em a few soft ones in front of goalbut most of the kicks were there. Poor defending.
Nic Shuey and Kelly can't take on the gun midfields by themselves but they are having a go.

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Positives
Cole and Duggan were very good.
Shuey tried all night but all his help kept fumbling the ball.
Ryan offered something.
We can improve greatly but we must find a no prisoner killer instinct.

Negatives

Fumbling under pressure was a constant which created poor skill execution and poor decisions.
Again in a big match up we didn’t turn up with a killer instinct, Richmond of course did.
Barass and Gov are simply not that good if they are made to be accountable, Richmond knew this and made sure they never bombed it in there. gov simply refuses to play on a man.
To many of our players fly for marks or fly to punch and no one stays at ground level. Juniors know this type of stuff yet we keep doing it.
Any team that interrupts how we want to play we look lost and don’t know what to do.

Bottom line for me is that we don’t have the killer instinct.

Sep 27, 2005
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WILDCATS/STH.FREO/CELTICS
Positives:

+ Ryan was our best forward in the hub last time and played a ripper.
+ Naitanui is still unreal
+ Duggan's best game for the club, Cole rose to the occasion too
+ Cripps' best game for me, certainly stood up when it counted
+ O'Neill went when it was his turn. Great to see
+ We're not five goals off the pace here. Tigers kicked 14.1 with three rushed behinds. Few frustrating frees thrown in directly in front of goal, or not paid in our goalsquare, though the Darling hold off the ball was very soft it must be said. Fired him up a bit. I'm worried about the fixture crunch, but I'm not worried with how we stack up against Richmond. One of this bounce of the ball goes the other way games.
+ We responded time and time again. Let ourselves get too far off the pace, but yet again it was Naitanui firing us forward and getting us going when we needed it. A few must respond moments and we did. In the end the margin was too great and that final defensive breakdown to Dusty killed it.

- Happened in the Carlton game and happened badly tonight - dropped intercept marks. Kill the contest to the third tier if you're uneasy. Too many times we drop marks and see it snapped directly over our head for a goal. A real flaw in the game is if you go for them and they don't stick.
- Kennedy's injury
- Reid has a ceiling. It's a nice story but he just isn't up to AFL speed yet. Finds himself out of position even though he chases hard, he's just not quite at the level. Maybe Cameron again? Lack of options is telling.
- Fixture crunch coming up. Conditions weren't dreadful tonight but did creep in for both sides. Cole/Ryan/Duggan super clean, most others battled throughout the night.
- Some goal kicking let offs, no real howlers but we definitely left some goals out there.
- Only seven points scored off our halfback line, which is our bread and butter scoring avenue. Troubling.

We weren't all the way on, they kicked 14.1. They deserved to win, they denied us our game style nicely, hats off to a good side. It wasn't a four goal game, and if you played it again on another day it could well have been us with the kicking boots and them scoring a frustrating scoreline. We're in a fine position against Richmond. Time to navigate a tough hub stretch, and get into home finals.

Win all four and we're top four. Richmond or Geelong or Brisbane or Port drop a game somewhere, it opens the door right up. Season's on folks, season is well and truly on. Fire up campaigners.

Tigers have a bye to come, and both Tigers and Cats still have to play each other, win all ours from here i have us third if Cats beat Tigers, if other way around we may jag 2nd.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives;

Perspective - Richmond played their hearts out, they kicked 14.1 with 3 rushed behinds. They had favourable calls early and rode that wave home. They don't really worry me too much come finals time I think we can beat them if we have a proper team to select. All this with Barrass and McGovern being a little bit off, Hurn being a bit slow, and our team suddenly being unable to do some very basic things. Coupled with Redden, Yeo and JK out and it is not as bad as it seems.

Gaff - Ran 1,500 metres further than the next closest blokes. 2 goal assists, 6 tackles, 7 intercept possessions. You could see the effort he put in during that game, especially late. The ball would not have moved if not for him going straight through the corridor and trying to draw the tackler and then handball off. Courageous running and sometimes you could see him drag Kelly or Shuey along with him.

Duggan / Cole - Neither was perfect, Cole tired late and those last 5 minutes weren't his best but both of these guys were quite exciting. Duggan with 11 intercept possessions, 4 tackles, 6 one percenters, 2 frees for, 6 rebound 50s. He was everywhere and his mindset was always to look to attack. Some of his kicks were not to advantage side, but that was true of the entire team.

Cole's side steps showed a real glimpse of what he can offer in a high pressure game. He can create space where there is none. His kicking is good and will only get better when going inside 50.

Shuey - I loved the intensity, didn't like the ball use. Loved the fight for the ball, the tackling, the harassing, the handballs. But his kicking was kind of trash tonight, along with most of our midfield.

Cripps - Thought he did a mountain of work for little reward. Applied pressure but was almost a lone hand in that regard.

Ryan at FF - Loved it, definitely want to see more of it at stages in games. The bloke is more of a lead up type and likes to have a clear run at the pack. Can cause defenders a lot of headaches and props to him for kicking straight lately.

Negatives;

Kicking - I don't mean pin point passes here, just kicking to a team mates advantage. That was some of the worst I have seen. Everyone was guilty at some stage throughout the game. The new kids looked bewildered and the senior players kept kicking it off the side of the boot.

Contested Marking - A team with Darling, Barrass, McGovern, Hurn, Ryan, Brander and Ah Chee, all of who are very good contested markers, should be able to register more than 2 contested marks for the game. Yes the kicking was some of the worst it's been in a while, even so it was quite bad.

Reid - Sorry mate, Cameron offered the same. Not sure what the answer is with the small forwards but none of them are offering much of anything.

Williams - Turned what looked like good opportunities into complete wastes. It is only game 1, but I would love to see Oscar back for his football brain. Williams is a good prospect but was lacking a lot of basic skills tonight.

Brander - Come on mate, impose yourself a bit.

Hurn - Where's the kicking skills? Yes you can hit targets, but you're not opening the game up and you are slow on defence, intercept marking seems to have escaped you.

Richmond's gamestyle - Vomit, let's be honest. It is like watching volleyball, they just jump and try punch it forward, then grab it and throw it on the boot. I wonder when the last time Cotchin actually looked down field is?

Back