Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints - Rd 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez a lucky escape

-Rotham had an absolute mare, so many errors
-Jones and Hill left to run free in the last, no defensive pressure from the forward line
-Zero composure at times, tried the flashy pass instead of sticking to basics

McGovern, Rotham, Waterman, Gaff.....all of them absolute coach killers with their basic level stuff ups. I don't understand why coaches don't hold them to account? I guess because there's nobody better to take their spots?

Eh. We won. Great intent and corridor use early. Faded spectacularly late. We’re where we belong on the ladder but might as well keep winning.

Positives:
+ Nic. Will win our B+F by so much it isn’t funny.
+ TK’s first half. Dom finding two goals.
+ Gov getting a win in 150. Back to back milestone W’s.
+ Josh Kennedy is a privilege to watch. Finals, flags, bottom 10, tanking, whatever. Cherish this. We probably won’t see another like him for a while.
+ Cripps’ last fortnight has been very good.
+ Corridor use, Gov in the ruck and general pissed off intent in the first half we never see. Can’t say they’re not trying to change things up.

Negatives:
- King’s good and can high point a ball but any danger someone stands near him? No work to push off his man or anything, just straight line leads and strong hands. Backyard s**t. Someone go side by side with him perhaps?

- Umpiring was as laughable as I’ve ever seen. Got fortunate on the JK “mark” that came off his shin, but some of the non calls and “marks” that get paid make me wonder what’s the point. Dogs have it right, shuffle the ball forward at all costs, they’re not going to call it.

- Brander had a golden opportunity with a long shift as the sub. Looked rookie year timid again. Not the Brander we saw earlier this year. Very frustrating.

Bank the points. Scrape the eight. It is what it is at this point but I’d rather be winners than St Kilda. Long term, changes are needed, but there’s clearly a directive to go faster and more aggressively, so they know what needs addressing. Stick tough, enjoy the ride.

Max King almost won it for them with 6.1.
Can't let him do that next time. 🤦‍♂️

+ Challenged multiple times and didnt roll over. Good to see.
+ West doing well for himself
+ Kelly in the first 3 quarters
+ Nic after half time
+ Jakey getting his hands on it inside 50, even though he didnt kick straight
+ Darling getting some confidence back

- Rotham is a dumb campaigner sometimes
- Refusing to man up King. Who's f*cking brilliant idea was that?
- Lazy defending in general
- Running out of small forwards
- Brander looks lost. Trade bait at the moment
- Kicking up the wing can f*ck right off. We look a million times better when we move it with speed through the middle

McGovern, Rotham, Waterman, Gaff.....all of them absolute coach killers with their basic level stuff ups. I don't understand why coaches don't hold them to account? I guess because there's nobody better to take their spots?

Win the game and your first post in the review thread is plain negative. Gotta wonder why you bother watching.

Win the game and your first post in the review thread is plain negative. Gotta wonder why you bother watching.
Because the performance is not something that will lead to success in finals. If you are happy with mediocrity then you can accept it, but I won't.

ep2018 you and I knew it was going to be close.

DanWA , Yep people complain about west coast with the Home town umpires. But I am not a fan of Leigh Fisher. A former saints player too.

Saying that, I rather Eagles take the 8th spot over the saints.

+ Gaff went alright today imo. Been on him for his backwards kicking, which is still there, but at least he started well and went at it harder than usual.
+ Kelly giving us the lead in the 1st half

- King dominating our backline
- Ryan does a hammy when I was expecting him to hit some form
- Brander gone backwards massively

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fought hard.
Some ' bad luck"! But Jones and King killed us.
We lack the contested high mark forward. But delivery is an issue.
Kids battled it our and didnt flinch. No Judds among them though.
The much maligned senior players won it for us.

We could not run the last quarter but stuck at it.
Rotham had his usual 3 brain fades.
Harry was outclassed. Not yet ready fo that challenge, but he didnt drop his head.
Kelly looks injured, he was quieter later on but was a key for us.
We can probably parek the Brander debate.
We need to get fit and faster by leg.

Kelly was magical for much of the game, it's no coincidence that we look a very weak side when he gets nullified.

Darling showed better form today than he has in some time.

O'Neill played a team game - I'm assuming he played forward more than usual because Ryan went down - but didn't get enough time around the ball to show anything of much value. 7 touches won't cut it.

I thought Brander was pretty horrible, and I'm starting to think he doesn't have what it takes to compete at this level.

I don't really see the value in Hutchings in the side, so let's treat today as his farewell game I think.

Edwards and McGovern were pantsed down back, simple as that.

Last edited:
+
4 points

Nic

Mids did enough, although pressure late was poor

-
Rotham, has had a poor few weeks (and goes 30-40m backwards too often, it puts us under pressure).

Not sure if we are missing Barass, but letting Edwards get towelled up was very strange. Gov needed to permanently take that match up

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

+ four points in the bank
+ our intensity
+ Nic Nat - again
+ TK's first half
+ Dom's goals
+ Gov's cheer squad
+ XON looked better

- Gaff's ineffectiveness
- our system isn't working
- TK fading in the 2nd half
- Flyin's injury
- Brander's timidity
- was Hutchings even out there?
- Pav = total flog
- The umpiring

- - - In the current COVID environment, the AFL still has us as listed to travel to Victoria next week...

+ We've won back to back milestone games. I'm hoping for a huge effort for the treble and Bungas 300th.
+ West quieter today, but still did well
+ Gave ourselves some breathing space

- Ryan's hammy
- King kicked 6, not great.
- Another hot and cold performance

I thought the first half was great. Good physical pressure and agressive ball movement. Then the usual eagle team come out in the second half and we were lucky to hang on. Defence was poor.
That and the defense on King are the two big take aways from today. We won the game playing positive footy in the first half and nearly coughed it up playing defensive footy in the second half. Also, teams have figured out how to take Gov out of the danger areas and create space for forwards to run into. It just so happens that St Kilda have a good full forward running into that space. This is not a good year for Jaymie Graham's resume.

I was watching the best of 2018 WCE passages of play (if you haven't seen it, it makes for lovely viewing).
Most of the time, it was run and handball up the corridor and lace out i50 to either Darling, Kennedy or LeCras. The harder won stuff was Rioli, Venebles and Cripps.

When we emulate this stuff above, as I saw today, with pressure - we're a top 5 side, everyone can see that.
When we kick back and play switch kick and waste our momentum won, we look weak, rudderless and confused. The oppo smells this and catpitalises.

I'll say this again: the commentators and some on here start flapping after one victory against Adelaide that we're somehow gonna do well from now on.
Our performance today shows we don't have it. Saints came to play for large patches, because again we don't inspire any fear: we inspire teams as they have belief they can win. We all saw what North did.

+'s
Kennedy was massive today - showed why he's such a champ and a shining example of a fine wine
NN - enough said
Connor West - people on this board raved about him and wanted him in: I applaud your choice of player here, he's an absolute work-horse, contested ballhound! He needs to show the other blokes how tackling is done
Tackling was better overall, but still needs work
Pressure was better overall, but still needs work
Our defense was actually pretty solid, especially first half. Rotham was great for most of his game today.
Corridor runs with handball, short passes and desperation to move that ball forward to feed the forwards
Yeo was dominant for most of the game and back to his old psycho self
Our first half made me feel more like the Eagles I know
Sheed's goals (if it's the only thing he can do well, it's kick)
Hutchings had a pretty good game and really solidified the backs when we were being pressured

-'s
Ryan: just as he was getting up, he goes down.. worst luck ever
Watermelon: how he keeps getting selected, I'll never know. What a WAFL at best player
McGovern was pretty trash today, very slow on foot and his intercept game has been pretty weak against any sort of solid forward players
Darling barely showed up - then again, it allowed Kennedy to shine as he drew defenders: maybe that was the strategy?
Sheed won't get dropped for poor performance for another 100 games regardless of how awful he is
King - he really hurt us: anyone gonna man the f up on that bloke? I totally agree with HoneyBadger here.
Going backwards - we look third rate every time
Can't play 4 quarter disease showed up again: no sooner do we right our game plan to a large degree, then we don't show up for a whole half
Commentators talking us up - really? A narrow victory over the Saints warrants talking up our finals chances? Yeah nah
A percentage boost absolutely squandered: every time I see the ladder and percentages of the teams around us in the top 8, I feel a pang of sadness.. we have to win pretty much every game from now on and the probability of that is almost 0.

Brander worth an early third rounder?
Rather stick with him than take a pick in the 40s. He was a mile off the pace today but he’s shown us that he reads the game well and has an aggressive kick in him. Not saying it’s likely, or locked in or anything, but I’d rather hope he turns a corner as a good tall winger than cop pick 40ish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back