Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints - Rd 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It's highly likely he'll be outright second at the end of his career.
Wow - how good have we had it that our first and second highest goal scorers have played 10 years together.

I remember when they used to talk about Mitch Brown and JK being our twin towers. Nah, Jack Darling was recruited the next year and never looked back

Wow - how good have we had it that our first and second highest goal scorers have played 10 years together.

I remember when they used to talk about Mitch Brown and JK being our twin towers. Nah, Jack Darling was recruited the next year and never looked back
At least we got a game of JK FF, JD CHF and MB FP. Unsure how it went though, you’d have to ask Godfather32

*NEGATIVE*

Jack Steele had more tackles on his own then:

West
Cole
Allen
Gaff
Waterman
Kelly
Edwards
Rotham
Sheppard
McGovern
Hutchings
Sheed
Brander
Ryan

COMBINED......that is atrocious.
13 tackles by Steele though, wow. Although I would like to see all 13 and how effective they were. I think there are many tackles that get counted when they shouldnt and many that get ignored when they should be counted.
And in fairness to Kelly, he had the ball and they were busy trying to tackle him.

Last edited:
How is Leigh Fisher the field umpire who played for St Kilda able to umpire a Saints game.

Isn't that a conflict of interest there.
Bit of a disgrace for this to happen.
We should be giving a please explain to AFL.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

He let himself down with his goal kicking but people saying he played badly are crocked.

Looks to be gaining size to me too. Getting a similar shape to his bro but with the extra height on his side.
The opportunity cost of the 1 he score and the 4 he handed over through pook kicking and decision making is far too high. His lack of defensive pressure is a part of the reason our mids get over run. His marking for set shot was fine but all were uncontested and on the end of great play by others, rather than his.

Definitely not as bad as the Saints game earlier in the year because they’ve actually been looking very good of late and our form has been nothing short of diabolical, so to have that game in control for 85% of the match is a good win imo. We’re about where we deserve to be and are just first or second round fodder at the moment, which is possibly one of the worst places to be. Not good enough to contend but not bad enough to get some quality list regen going.

Haven't watched the replay yet but I've liked our contested ball work these last two weeks. Saints coach agrees according to his press conference, and apparently they tagged Kelly in the second half so hopefully that explains his lessened impact and it's not injury again.

McGovern in the ruck was a good move too until he got tired.

Edwards vs King I got a good look at. Edwards just slightly late reading the play each time, and then slightly late with spoil. I think Edwards is quick enough though so just needs to get his timing better.

No defender really engaged King before the contest though so he got a free run at it whenever he wanted. I had flashbacks to Naughton when we played the Bulldogs. Our defenders need to look at the scragging that JK cops and realise how effective it can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints coach agrees according to his press conference, and apparently they tagged Kelly in the second half so hopefully that explains his lessened impact and it's not injury again.
This is why I'm surprised about the calls for Hutchings' head in the changes thread. Hutch wasn't there to pick up 20 touches. He was there to keep Steele quiet, which he did.

I understand the frustration with our key defenders. But don't under estimate the marking ability of King. Having watched a few Saints games this year, I expect that King will continue to dominate defences like he did yesterday.

O'neil gets in good positions but is too weak to impact the contest. Needs to work on his strength in the off season,

Kids are kids, the biggest negative is our top end endurance in the last 40 minutes. The reason is probably multi facited, but senior playesr missing big chunks including the preseason last has to be one factor. Are we preparing to a gold standard? This can not be fixed before the preseason.

Negative:

giphy.gif

First two minutes of the replay, Naitanui being "outfoxed" by Ryder according to Nick Riewoldt LOL.

How is Leigh Fisher the field umpire who played for St Kilda able to umpire a Saints game.

Isn't that a conflict of interest there.
Bit of a disgrace for this to happen.
We should be giving a please explain to AFL.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

The reality is that as a professional he's expected to be impartial no matter the game he officiates. If the AFL made a rule that you can't umpire with your old side then they'd be admitting that their employee is basically not up to it. Will never happen.

Commentators on the other hand...

POSITIVES
  • Attended my 3rd game of the year for 3 wins.
  • I liked gov in the ruck, it suits.
  • Hedwards got experience playing on a decent AFL KF.
  • Darling kicking a few.
  • Kennedy kicking a few, but also chasing opponents when they have the ball.
  • Yeo back to almost his best
  • Kellys first half (worth the farm) before copping attention.
  • Sheed with his clutch goals.
  • Midfield balance is better with the defensive addition in hutch.
  • NIC NAT is a *ing weapon, should be an AA ruck this year. But because gawn gets more around the ground its his.
NEGATIVES
  • Rothams brainfades, we already have 2 flaky defenders in gov and barass. Needs to fix this otherwise AFL wont be in your long term future.
  • Quality of umpriring. Very poor. Their frees resulted in goals.
  • Darling keeps getting molested and the umps turn a blind eye.
  • Umps called at least 3 marks to saints players who didnt control the ball and it resulted in 3 goals.
  • Brander, my gut feeling is he will request a trade at the end of the year. Recruited as a FF, plays like a squib in the midfield. I think its time we cut our losses here as we cant get the best out of him here, especially if JK goes around another year.
  • XON, i dont think he is AFL standard. Looks tiny out there. Has had plenty of opportunity to show something. SOMETHING.

You could really sense the angst in the crown in the 3rd when we played too much controlling footy rather than taking the game on, the rotham stuffed bounce/goal. When we vitually handed the saints a goal when we under zero pressure had the ball in our F50 BUT RAN IT BACK to our D50 and turned it over for a goal.

It really felt like a 24pt win not an 8 pointer. I think we had control for most of the game and if it wasnt for king and some contentious ump calls the margin would have been 8 goalz.

I'm not as negative as many here.
Take out Rothams bounce and Snake nails s couple and it's a 4 goal win where we're not troubled. I'll take that most weeks.
If West had have kicked his goal I'd be pretty happy with it all.
Yeh, I know what you mean, but the fact is we didn't do those things?
Our intent and effort and contested ball was there, but often not the skill and decision-making..
And that stuff kills you in finals - the coulda, shoulda, woulda..every kick, every mistake, every point counts!
If you apply that logic to our past losses this season, we shoulda beat Dogs, Roos, Dons, Saints etc
and we woulda been in the top 4 and coulda be in a GF...
but we didn't and we're 7th, looking ordinary...(it's amazing we're 7th tbh?)

We lost to the bottom team at Optus 2 weeks ago, that speaks volumes for where we're at this season.
Even if we regroup and charge into finals with our chemistry on fire, that loss and others need to be fully addressed after the season. There's a huge chink in the armour? Something is not right. Conditioning? Coaching? Covid? Players headspace? Politics? Injuries? We have steadily declined since 2018...

Injuries probably are a major factor, team can never get settled. Good teams and coaching can roll with it and lean on their depth and cover for it. Soldier out/soldier in thing. But our injuries never stop, Barrass, Petrol, Shuey, Ryan, AhChee, Jones, Redden...5 of those in the last 2-3 weeks? And it's been like that all season.
Ryan was just settling back in from a previous injury. As was Shuey...

Re noise of affirmation at Optus. It became a big thing with visiting commentators and even some coaches commenting on it, as though it was somehow an unfair advantage, a Western ploy or ruse? There wasn't a game without commentary on crowd noise and how it might be affecting the umpires decisions. This was relayed in Vic TV footy programs and no doubt filtered up to AFL HQ, who discussed it with the Umpiring group and then there seemed to be an obvious change or shift in umpiring to flatten the perceived problem at Optus. It now seems to have gone too far the other way? Whether I'm right or wrong with facts here, it doesn't change one other fact and that is this - There is never a discussion on noise of affirmation at the MCG with Richmond or Pies for example? Nothing in the east, only in the west...how can that be? Why is it so?

Am probably being too negative, will re-watch the game without the emotional rollercoaster ride and look for positives!

POSITIVES
  • Attended my 3rd game of the year for 3 wins.
  • I liked gov in the ruck, it suits.
  • Hedwards got experience playing on a decent AFL KF.
  • Darling kicking a few.
  • Kennedy kicking a few, but also chasing opponents when they have the ball.
  • Yeo back to almost his best
  • Kellys first half (worth the farm) before copping attention.
  • Sheed with his clutch goals.
  • Midfield balance is better with the defensive addition in hutch.
  • NIC NAT is a f*n weapon, should be an AA ruck this year. But because gawn gets more around the ground its his.
NEGATIVES
  • Rothams brainfades, we already have 2 flaky defenders in gov and barass. Needs to fix this otherwise AFL wont be in your long term future.
  • Quality of umpriring. Very poor. Their frees resulted in goals.
  • Darling keeps getting molested and the umps turn a blind eye.
  • Umps called at least 3 marks to saints players who didnt control the ball and it resulted in 3 goals.
  • Brander, my gut feeling is he will request a trade at the end of the year. Recruited as a FF, plays like a squib in the midfield. I think its time we cut our losses here as we cant get the best out of him here, especially if JK goes around another year.
  • XON, i dont think he is AFL standard. Looks tiny out there. Has had plenty of opportunity to show something. SOMETHING.

You could really sense the angst in the crown in the 3rd when we played too much controlling footy rather than taking the game on, the rotham stuffed bounce/goal. When we vitually handed the saints a goal when we under zero pressure had the ball in our F50 BUT RAN IT BACK to our D50 and turned it over for a goal.

It really felt like a 24pt win not an 8 pointer. I think we had control for most of the game and if it wasnt for king and some contentious ump calls the margin would have been 8 goalz.

O’Neill’s kicking is generally above average and penetrating in space, but doesn’t get nearly enough of it. I can’t see him being strong enough to be an inside player, can’t break a tackle despite some good taps. But looks like he spent a lot of the game half forward, with brander on wing. Should be a direct swap - the positions they were drafted in. Not sure how defensive they want him when played forward with petch and Ryan out.

I felt Simpson may have read some bigfooty by playing McGovern as Ruck. Hopefully he does the same with other players position. McGovern being fat and bubbly blowing up after 10 mins in the Ruck Is another issue

Question: with the COVID situation in Victoria, what's the likelihood the Collingwood game would be changed to be in WA?

The reality is that as a professional he's expected to be impartial no matter the game he officiates. If the AFL made a rule that you can't umpire with your old side then they'd be admitting that their employee is basically not up to it. Will never happen.

Commentators on the other hand...
No different to a player changing teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Back