Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints - Rd 19, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Our defenders rarely put any body contact on or go for the spoil. We try to mark everything.

I can only assume the lack of spoiling is a lack of faith in the ground level capabilities of the squad. Weak campaigners.

I wonder if there's any method in Nic Nat filling the hole in front of the leading forwards instead of hovering around the defensive 50m?

I watched the second quarter which showed us at our best (and it was good). I then watched the last half of the 4th quarter, to get a feeling for the Saints comeback and what was going on.
I caught the last 10 minutes of the game unfortunately. Watched the first half and I guess thats enough

get the 4 points, lose a player.

that's about as good as it gets, this year.
Story of 2021 for us.
That, or lose & Petruccelle is in our bests.

I don't think Barrass would've helped the King situation by more that a goal but he's a more consistent spoiler.
Collingwood may as well name Cox this week for similar results.

With our weak tackling (& intent at times) it's little wonder bull at a gate types like Z.Jones have an influence against us. Just lucky Steele was quiet by his recent standards.

Mitch Robinson in 2 weeks same scenario as Jones.

Last edited:
Story of 2021 for us.
That, or lose & Petruccelle is in our bests.

I don't think Barrass would've helped the King situation by more that a goal but he's a more consistent spoiler.
Collingwood may as well name Cox this week for similar results.

With our weak tackling (& intent at times) it's little wonder bull at a gate types like Z.Jones have an influence against us. Just lucky Steele was quiet by his recent standards.

Mitch Robinson in 2 weeks same scenario as Jones.
Jones was a lot better than that. He ran hrd and found space. BOG for mine.
The story of this season is that we (the muppents on here) give little respect to oposition.

Jones was a lot better than that. He ran hrd and found space. BOG for mine.
The story of this season is that we (the muppents on here) give little respect to oposition.
Better than what?
I didn't day he wasn't any good. Killed us last time also. Mitch Rob might also be BOG in a fortnight.

Just that real intent, tough types can easily win their own ball against us and now that we're having trouble stopping talls, it opens us up to be over run.

Harry lost his battle vs King no doubt and had some goals kicked on him, but we are 6-1 with him in the team and 4-7 without. Possibly just a coincidence or just due to the teams he's played against but interesting

Our defenders rarely put any body contact on or go for the spoil. We try to mark everything.

I can only assume the lack of spoiling is a lack of faith in the ground level capabilities of the squad. Weak campaigners.

I wonder if there's any method in Nic Nat filling the hole in front of the leading forwards instead of hovering around the defensive 50m?

Yes defenders seem to rarely spoil even when out of position up against a gun marking forward.

Quite frustrating to watch at times.

Yes defenders seem to rarely spoil even when out of position up against a gun marking forward.

Quite frustrating to watch at times.

So many times during games I'm like "All we gotta do is punch this through for a rushed behind .... And the dumb ******* campaigners have all flown for the mark and were outmarked by the 2m freak. Rinse and ******* repeat"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive shitcanned Rotham for a while but i keep remembering Glass in his first 50 odd games .He was shocking.The bounce that Rotham tried running out of the square was actually the right option as he had a lot of space in front of him.The execution was .....well leave it at that.I never bag younger players for taking the game on.

trends in wafl and afl
- good as high forward who can play deep and lead but has the fitness of McGovern so can’t play that role. Fades badly
- doesn’t kick goals when it counts. May be fitness related but also mental, this week in the first half, last week in the wafl in the last quarter. He kicks those two early and we’re 8 goals up
- not a contested marker. Won’t ever be big enough for this role so needs to shed weight and become an endurance runner who can repeat effort
- seeks cheap touches in the back half. But that leaves us vulnerable on the rebound with numbers behind the ball

I feel like kicking goals when it counts is actually what Waterman does best. Seems to me often his MO is having a quiet game but then popping up with a goal or two just as we need it.

Negative:

giphy.gif

First two minutes of the replay, Naitanui being "outfoxed" by Ryder according to Nick Riewoldt LOL.

To be fair, Nics mark and goal in the goal square was a pretty hefty shove in the back too.

+ Kelly, games like this show that he is in fact a superstar and long term that trade will be well worth it. There's gotta be some coaching issue or something to explain why he always seems to be s**t when Shuey and Yeo are both in. As soon as we lose Shuey, he's back to being great. They just aren't gelling as a mid unit yet.
+ We are very clearly tackling and pressuring harder since the Nth game. Even when Saints were pressing in the last, we looked pretty desperate in defence to prevent them scoring. We'd have rolled over earlier in the season.
+ Likewise with fast attacking ball movement. It's not perfect by any means, but we're looking like at least we're trying to play more like we did in 2018.
+ Cripps. His last fortnight might be explained by the above. Haven't seen him playing this well since 2018.

- King, someone needed to be putting body on him. He's too tall and athletic and can take a good mark at its highest point. You're not going to spoil him very often letting him have a run and jump.

To be fair, Nics mark and goal in the goal square was a pretty hefty shove in the back too.

Though the umpire was probably distracted by Wilkie tackling Darling at the front of the contest which was a blatant free missed.
If the free kick against Naitanui was paid there'd be at least 30 more free kicks per game.

Two key items of note:
- The Rotham hate was probably based on 2 fundamental errors, the mis-bounced ball gifting the saints a goal in Q3 and the missed spoil on Max King in Q4. Otherwise he was pretty excellent, 15 touches at 100% DE and 5 intercept marks.
- The calls to drop hutch are probably fair, 9 touches and being at the game he was not tagging whatsoever. Those crediting him for keeping Steele quiet, did not line up on him once and it was in fact Yeo that mainly played on him Head to Head

This is why I'm surprised about the calls for Hutchings' head in the changes thread. Hutch wasn't there to pick up 20 touches. He was there to keep Steele quiet, which he did.
yeah Steele with his worst game of the season, 10 possessions down on season average. gotta give Hutch a nod for that effort.

*although people saying he didnt line up on Steele - get rid of him i say!

This is why I'm surprised about the calls for Hutchings' head in the changes thread. Hutch wasn't there to pick up 20 touches. He was there to keep Steele quiet, which he did.
He kept Steele quiet by not playing on him at all. That's an impressive effort! Make him captain I say.

It actually looked like he was just playing as a mid. Didn't tag (or even line up on) Steele at all, and didn't tag anyone else either.

Two key items of note:
- The Rotham hate was probably based on 2 fundamental errors, the mis-bounced ball gifting the saints a goal in Q3 and the missed spoil on Max King in Q4. Otherwise he was pretty excellent, 15 touches at 100% DE and 5 intercept marks.
- The calls to drop hutch are probably fair, 9 touches and being at the game he was not tagging whatsoever. Those crediting him for keeping Steele quiet, did not line up on him once and it was in fact Yeo that mainly played on him Head to Head

The same stats that say Rotham went at 100% have him down for 4 turnovers so something is wrong there.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back