Review Positives and Negatives vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

The way to get rid of the head high bump is to always pay a free kick + 50m for a head high bump and, then, always suspend. Regardless if the impact caused minimal damage.

When you let Rohan and Pickett walk away with fines, all the hand wringing about Long or Sheil is meaningless.

The way to get rid of the head high bump is to always pay a free kick + 50m for a head high bump and, then, always suspend. Regardless if the impact caused minimal damage.

When you let Rohan and Pickett walk away with fines, all the hand wringing about Long or Sheil is meaningless.

Why an illegal bump to the head causing severe damage and the recipient being unable to continue doesn't incur a 50 metre penalty but a toe nail over an imaginary line in an umpires head does is beyond me.

Why an illegal bump to the head causing severe damage and the recipient being unable to continue doesn't incur a 50 metre penalty but a toe nail over an imaginary line in an umpires head does is beyond me.
A 50m penalty occurs AFTER a free kick is paid. It’s a secondary penalty for something that occurs after the free kick.

A 50m penalty occurs AFTER a free kick is paid. It’s a secondary penalty for something that occurs after the free kick.

Arent all 50 metre penalties paid after a free kick . Head high bump was a free kick ,the 50 metres is then paid for excessive force and dangerous bump .
What's your point.

Arent all 50 metre penalties paid after a free kick . Head high bump was a free kick ,the 50 metres is then paid for excessive force and dangerous bump .
What's your point.
I think what DeanS means is it requires a secondary action to force the 50m penalty. But this isn't the case, I'm pretty sure under the rules if it's a reportable offence the 50m can be automatically included as part of the penalty. They do this to discourage professional style hits, to take someone out of play, for example, by doing something reportable/nasty.

I think what DeanS means is it requires a secondary action to force the 50m penalty. But this isn't the case, I'm pretty sure under the rules if it's a reportable offence the 50m can be automatically included as part of the penalty. They do this to discourage professional style hits, to take someone out of play, for example, by doing something reportable/nasty.
Yep that was my understanding,which why i was pissed darcy didnt get the 50 and subsequent shot on goal

If that was a sufficient excuse then the same thing would have happened in the other 3 quarters. We clearly showed after quarter time that we could make it work regardless which just highlights how dire the first quarter was.
Similar happened a few weeks back.Maybe the first week back when we played Logue as our premier back man.Played less than 30 games. Never played as a key back man.Fielded several with lack of experience.
Takes time to gel.

Similar happened a few weeks back.Maybe the first week back when we played Logue as our premier back man.Played less than 30 games. Never played as a key back man.Fielded several with lack of experience.
Takes time to gel.
I'm not disagreeing that there are reasons for it, I am simply stating that being 37 points down at quarter time is an objectively bad result if your goal is to win the game. I am sure you would agree.

I'm not disagreeing that there are reasons for it, I am simply stating that being 37 points down at quarter time is an objectively bad result if your goal is to win the game. I am sure you would agree.
It would be stupid to go into a game not wanting to win.But sometimes the line up and certain lines need time to gel.
You can't play talls just because they are tall.The only other inclusion as a back last week was Watson. A similar build to Duman.A total novice.Not played one AFL game yet.
Carter the young kid that last year looked good off a HBF, has not come up to standard.His spot in the total squad is under the pump.

It would be stupid to go into a game not wanting to win.But sometimes the line up and certain lines need time to gel.
You can't play talls just because they are tall.The only other inclusion as a back last week was Watson. A similar build to Duman.A total novice.Not played one AFL game yet.
Carter the young kid that last year looked good off a HBF, has not come up to standard.His spot in the total squad is under the pump.
Honestly, I have no idea what your point is.

You are ripping into our backline for their poor performance in the first quarter.I am pointing out that it is an inexperienced back line.No talls.
Actually I thought the backline was decent under the circumstances. I was ripping the team in general and if I had to pick a specific line I would choose the mids for putting the backs in that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank you for putting the facts so eloquently, that's what I,'ve been trying to say.

Thank you for putting the facts so eloquently, that's what I,'ve been trying to say.
It might be eloquent but I don't think it's factual. No rule book I have ever read says a 50m can be applied just for making a report. A 50 in my understanding has to be for a secondary offence after a mark or free.
Mind you they do change the rules a lot so maybe I haven't read the latest book

Stuart got 50 metres on debut for a head high hit from Hurley just on the 50m mark. All part of the same action. No 50m for Darcy though and he was knocked out for goodness sake!
Nope, the Mark was taken and the hit was late, which was a 50 on top of the mark.

Was also not reported which is what was argued is a 50

It might be eloquent but I don't think it's factual. No rule book I have ever read says a 50m can be applied just for making a report. A 50 in my understanding has to be for a secondary offence after a mark or free.
Mind you they do change the rules a lot so maybe I haven't read the latest book
The 50m penalty after a report lasted for about 3/4’s of a year back in 2000. Never been seen since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back