Review Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda - Rd 4 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Ffs, the melts on here get worse every year.

It’s round 4 and we’re without yeo and shuey.

We were always going to be tired after last weeks effort, you can’t win em all.

Not the greatest effort but no need to fold the club. Also, I thought cole had a ripper.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Anyone catch Simmo's presser?

Is he just trotting out nothing answers or is he deluded about that performance?
Full of praise for the saints, nil criticism of the issues everyone in this thread has highlighted.

Funny how you are asking if anyone saw the presser and then went on to basically make your own assumptions about what he said.

They say that the evolution of a team on their way to being a contender:
- basket case, 4 wins in a year, all at home.
- win half of games at home, snatch 1 or 2 away but generally basket case away
- win 75% at home, losses at home are competitive, still snatch 1 or 2 away but more competive in losses
- impenetrable fortress at home, win 3 to 4 away
- impenetrable fortress at home, win vast majority away (a play anywhere anytime team and now a legitimate contender)

what we are seeing, is this the reverse of the above. The decline? Our last 2.5 years correlates to this.

'We' keep expecting the champion to rise off the floor one more time. But he's not a champion anymore, his peak was quite a while ago. Yet we cling onto that fading dream.

One premiership out of this star studded group is a grossly underachieving team.

It's baffling that the coaching group seems to struggle to get the players up for the mental challenges of the game.

Our onfield leaders were unspeakably poor.

Coaches seem to struggle to get the players up? Well worked first half...so they needed to be motivated again? I think it’s depressing if players need to be motivated by coaching group.

Agree about onfield leadership. I just think the midfield we have out there has a soft underbelly who struggle when Nic Nat doesn’t dominate.

Simmo has a lot to answer for, it's his gameplan, he elects to play or drop the players. He accepts s**t efforts and this ridiculous half arsed coralling bullshit.

In saying that, there are some in this team that needs the riot act read to them, "pull your finger out, earn your pay packet or you are on the trade table. No excuses."

Ffs, the melts on here get worse every year.

It’s round 4 and we’re without yeo and shuey.

We were always going to be tired after last weeks effort, you can’t win em all.

Not the greatest effort but no need to fold the club. Also, I thought cole had a ripper.

We know its round four but we also know that for each incomprehensible brain fart like yesterday the team will need to balance it with something special against a top end team if we are going to do anything but make up the numbers this year. The problem is that for the last two years that scenario has been beyond us. Like a few hereabouts i can't shake the feeling that loss was season defining (and probably not in a good way).

As for leadership on the field, it’s non existent without Shuey or Hurn running around. Gov is not captain material...yet he’s the man the boys are looking too until round 14 or so. Hopefully Bunga gets back quick, need his calming influence on the group.

Those kick-in turnovers from Gov were just sloppy. And he's the captain. I know Michael Voss or Luke Hodge or Paul Kelly were once in a generation leaders but would they have allowed a disgraceful second half performance like that? I just don't know who provides the leadership in our team (I mean I'm sure there are 'leaders' but they are just not so obvious during a game to this mug punter).

And on the subject of "too tall" - yep it seems we select a side on the basis Brander or Waterman are too good to leave out. Brander in particular might be a future champ but he is well back in the pack selection-wise it seems. Did the recruiters really see that changing this year? He is probably the one player who has the most currency so could easily have been traded (for another midfielder).

(I hope Kelly's best two seasons are not his first two i.e. at Geelong. Poor poor disposal last night - which was supposedly one of his strengths.)

Lastly I don't see WAFL so must go by comments here but it seems that of the players sitting on the fringe of the side (XON, Ainsworth, Jones, Brander etc) none of them seem to be showing those flashes that indicate they might develop into a 200 game player. (I reluctantly admit Petro has. But all too rarely.) Our next level seem to be - at best - good average players. As such would you drop say Redden for XON? Unlikely.

PS: the mids didn't register so much as one behind.

- Gov is really beginning to annoy me. His kicking is a liability because he's often so lazy to not even do the under 9s thing to get off the mark and kick through the ball. He absolutely killed us that Hurn was lost to the kickouts, and the fact Gov was left to so it really hurt. He was just predictable and we got no easy releases. I'm worried he's like his brother. Got his pay day and now pretty happy with how things sit for him.

- Kelly was sloppy and needs things going his way. Its not panic stations but he's not a bona fide no.1 mid yet and may not get there. Sadly thats what we paid for.

- Sheed frustrates me so much. So often flat footed, so often just whacks it on his boot. He's a fine no.3/4 mid but dont expect anymore. Again, I hope we don't pay him thinking he will be much more. He's fine but quite limited in his skill set.

- Waterman for Shuey is Mitch Brown in forward pocket areas.

- Those lazy errors that handed them initial goals and momentum were just killer. Gov's kick to Brander who slipped, Barass' kick to Gov. The kick was crap but Gov didnt appreciate the pressure. Saints didnt have any flow until we just handed those up.

- Our lack of midfield talent coming through is really coming home to roost, and will only get worse. The neglect in drafting (or taking responsibility for the crap drafting) and developing has been bemusing.

- On that note, its an absolute no brainer to play XON/Trew/any other young mid looking half good every week. We really need to see what we have got and start developing them.

They say that the evolution of a team on their way to being a contender:
- basket case, 4 wins in a year, all at home.
- win half of games at home, snatch 1 or 2 away but generally basket case away
- win 75% at home, losses at home are competitive, still snatch 1 or 2 away but more competive in losses
- impenetrable fortress at home, win 3 to 4 away
- impenetrable fortress at home, win vast majority away (a play anywhere anytime team and now a legitimate contender)

what we are seeing, is this the reverse of the above. The decline? Our last 2.5 years correlates to this.

'We' keep expecting the champion to rise off the floor one more time. But he's not a champion anymore, his peak was quite a while ago. Yet we cling onto that fading dream.

One premiership out of this star studded group is a grossly underachieving team.
I don't think it's the fact that we've only won one premiership, it's the fact that we've been disappointingly uncompetitive in finals the last two seasons.
Winning premierships is hard but to not even give ourselves a shot at another one by bowing out with barely a shot fired two years in a row is what stings for me.

When a midfield gets beaten forwards always find the going tough. Not only does the ball rarely get down there but when it does its often slow movement and often haphazard delivery. But he had a bad day at the office also.

Coaches will create a style of play to suit player strength. In WC's case it's built around talls. Often decisions are made with that in mind I.e. Waterman selection
And yet our only successful finals run of the last few years was largely built around a short-term massive improvement in our contested possession through the midfield and around the ground. Could be a lesson there....or not, we could just keep bringing in underdone tall forwards to replace midfielders, what could go wrong? I guess if the object of the game is to corral teams to death then taller players with longer arms should be better at that in theory.

Honestly have't felt this rage over a game of footy since I've turned into an adult.
I've been of adult age a long time so can't rely on memory... but I do remember a gave v Sydney in 2008ish at Subi where we were up by 6 goals at 1/2 time and ended up losing by a 5? points in the dying seconds. Was absolutely livid and a Swans supporter said "I cant believe you guys gave up a 6 goal lead" and my only come back was "well you guys did in the first half".. took him a while to digest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One the I would love to have right now is a Jetta like player. With the new man on the mark rule being able to run and pinpoint a pass inside. Any idea where we could have gotten a Jetta like player?

This.
Not sure of exact details why Jetta was let go / retired, however surely he is still better than half the current team? Didn't have a great year last year, fair, but just his potential to break open games and x factor was a huge plus!

In regards to the loss, felt extra disappointing as once again similar patterns emerge; since 2016 (exclude amazing 2018 run) when we have a chance to forge our own destiny (3 and 1, with a close loss away vs a hot bulldogs team, we're headed back home) - we crumble. Absent of any true leaders yesterday, once Hurn went down. Are we too "nice" of a team?

Funny how you are asking if anyone saw the presser and then went on to basically make your own assumptions about what he said.

I saw the presser, made no assumptions, basic or otherwise.
I was questioning where he was coming from with his answers.

Hey guys
Sorry to intrude but I think this loss may do the Eagles some good - they will learn a lot from it. Lucky this happened early on in the season... their players will get a kick up the ass and will be warned that If they perform like that again they will lose their spot..
Your list is one of the best on paper ... must be super frustrating for all supporters
Stay positive it’s only round 4

+ Petruccelle
- Ground ball gets

We need Yeo back. Also, for all the intercept marking power of our backline, we’d be a lot more secure with a negating tall defender. Edwards can do that job; or tell Gov and Barrass that their first task is to stop their opponent kicking goals.

I have no issues with Adrian Hickmott as he has been instrumental in the development of our best defender. But what why is he no in charge of our midfield brigade???? Pretty sure he wasn't even a mid in the day.
Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 6.38.17 PM.png

Hey guys
Sorry to intrude but I think this loss may do the Eagles some good - they will learn a lot from it. Lucky this happened early on in the season... their players will get a kick up the ass and will be warned that If they perform like that again they will lose their spot..
Your list is one of the best on paper ... must be super frustrating for all supporters
Thanks mate, I agree. There are some epic melts on here today. Friday should be a better, both teams are hungry for win and match up well on each other.

Hey guys
Maybe, but it’s happened too many times in the past to expect much to be learned this time. Plus the guys who should have stood up know they won’t lose their spot.

Maybe, but it’s happened too many times in the past to expect much to be learned this time. Plus the guys who should have stood up know they won’t lose their spot.
That's what the balance of evidence tells us over a number of years. We have 4-5 players who can stand up under pressure and with Hurn going down 3 of them were on the sideline.

Gov, Redden, gaff even Shep, as much as it pains me to pot him, just aren't the types to be able to put the team on their back and drag us back into a contest. Nic can but couldn't yesterday for whatever reason.

TK has been here since smoko and it showed. He looked a man under pressure from the first bounce.

We needed someone with the Jetta "calm it down" hands yesterday for sure.

That's what the balance of evidence tells us over a number of years. We have 4-5 players who can stand up under pressure and with Hurn going down 3 of them were on the sideline.

Gov, Redden, gaff even Shep, as much as it pains me to pot him, just aren't the types to be able to put the team on their back and drag us back into a contest. Nic can but couldn't yesterday for whatever reason.

TK has been here since smoko and it showed. He looked a man under pressure from the first bounce.

We needed someone with the Jetta "calm it down" hands yesterday for sure.
I think there’s a bit of a hierarchy but Gaff and Redden are surely toward the bottom. Handy B grade support mids when others are there to do the dirty work, but absolutely invisible when the heat is on. Unforgivable for senior players.

I don't think it's the fact that we've only won one premiership, it's the fact that we've been disappointingly uncompetitive in finals the last two seasons.
Winning premierships is hard but to not even give ourselves a shot at another one by bowing out with barely a shot fired two years in a row is what stings for me.
In a word Willie. What a massive idiot and drag on the team for 3 seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back