Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not a mutually exclusive situation in that you can be very dissatisfied with the management and teams performance over the last few years, free to voice your opinion, self-melt, and still be a loyal fan supporting the team or club. Most aren't haters for hates sake (although you'd think some are) they just want to see a better performance from the top down and the Saints match was an example of what can be achieved with a patched together team.
Which begs the question why isn't that effort - or something closer to that effort - brought every week, and especially during the greater losses we've had? And curiously we were missing TK? Surely Cripps+Hurn's inclusion aren't the reason - they don't have superpowers, a couple of two old footy geezers? I don't need an answer to this question really.
All the (press) criticism, anarchy and naysaying for the past week did appear to have a positive effect?
But great effort by all concerned on the weekend, hope we see more of it!
Maybe Simmo has them exceeding themselves with his Super Power of Synergy (finally)

Maybe Simmo has them exceeding themselves with his Super Power of Synergy (finally)
Whatever it is, or was, you get the feeling the young ones/newbies have now got a taste for it, they're beginning to drive the train, the future is unfolding...if Reid was watching that game, I reckon he'd see a future and a talented core he could be a part of?

Doesn't the club pay the melee fines?
Also Chesser may appear to be a pretty boy, but he strutted away from that melee looking
pumped in the upper body...

I thought Chesser was quite good on the weekend, showed good pace and agility, looks to be building confidence. Love when he ran into the melee to lend support.
He definitely went up a level. There were a few moments where I was asking who the young gun was that just won the ball, only to see the 18 on his back and realise it was him. It was the first time I've definitively seen his potential at AFL level (not that I've watched all of his minutes in some of those away game thrashings).

Was great to see Cripps, Shuey, and Hurn lead the way in effort and intent. The younger blokes really responded to their leadership and gave us a few tantalising glimpses of what to expect in another couple of seasons.

The players and Simmo have been going through the same old tired shtick and waiting for something to click for ages now, so it was awesome to see some excitement in the team again.

I liked Petro in the clinches, he gets to the drop of the ball really well and just explodes out of stoppages. Hopefully he can rotate with Kelly a bit more to change things up for Simmo as another 'lever to pull' when needed.

Supper happy with what Hewitt, Hough, Chesser, Long, Ginbey, Maric and the Williamses showed us.

Hopefully we don't get bullied too much by Brisbane and Simmo can get the boys up for a good showing again 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was great to see Cripps, Shuey, and Hurn lead the way in effort and intent. The younger blokes really responded to their leadership and gave us a few tantalising glimpses of what to expect in another couple of seasons.

The players and Simmo have been going through the same old tired shtick and waiting for something to click for ages now, so it was awesome to see some excitement in the team again.

I liked Petro in the clinches, he gets to the drop of the ball really well and just explodes out of stoppages. Hopefully he can rotate with Kelly a bit more to change things up for Simmo as another 'lever to pull' when needed.

Supper happy with what Hewitt, Hough, Chesser, Long, Ginbey, Maric and the Williamses showed us.

Hopefully we don't get bullied too much by Brisbane and Simmo can get the boys up for a good showing again 👍
I thought Basso is developing well from a very hard start to tyhe season.

Positives

• Maybe Petch can be injected into the middle more often as being in the midst of it may assist his lack of footy nouse for finding the ball adn he can certainly bring tackling pressure with his speed;
  • Couple of the old boys having a red hot crack;
  • "Hewitt, Hough, Chesser, Long, Ginbey and Maric".
Negatives

• We have a real emerging issue with containing small fwds close to goal and once the Saints put in place a plan to bring the ball to ground, preferably over the back, we were toast. We are going to need to add this to the list of things to address in the draft.
  • Disappointing couple of errors by OA in big moments - almost Darling like.

When did that happen?
Several times from memory. Played very well.

He had a basketball background, no? May explain why he's actually really evasive in tight for a guy who has largely been a fringe player up to this point.

So much upside. Re-sign him now.

When did that happen?

At the game was watching him pretty specifically as it's a move I found very interesting and thought a few of his clearances were genuine midfielder efforts, not just the ball happening to end up in a players' hands ones.

Hit a few of them at pace onto a ruck tap, muffed one up, caught one and booted it forward to an intercept mark and the other worked out but was all positive stuff and more threatening than what an O'Neill puts out.

Think the game is going more towards having some of those speedy soccer types who make those sprint and spreads from the inside. He actually tackled better and looked more involved on the inside as well.

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether one of your half forward flanks is just soft and disinterested or just a bit of a dumb footballer, think there's a bit of overlap. You have to be a smart footballer to play on the forward flank, I'm not sold on Petch yet but that game at least sold the idea of testing him in a position where nous isn't as crucial. If he can work on defensive chasing I actually reckon his energy could be nice around the contest going forward

Last edited:
At the game was watching him pretty specifically as it's a move I found very interesting and thought a few of his clearances were genuine midfielder efforts, not just the ball happening to end up in a players' hands ones.

Hit a few of them at pace onto a ruck tap, muffed one up, caught one and booted it forward to an intercept mark and the other worked out but was all positive stuff and more threatening than what an O'Neill puts out.

Think the game is going more towards having some of those speedy soccer types who make those sprint and spreads from the inside. He actually tackled better and looked more involved on the inside as well.

Sometimes it's hard to tell whether one of your half forward flanks is just soft and disinterested or just a bit of a dumb footballer, think there's a bit of overlap. You have to be a smart footballer to play on the forward flank, I'm not sold on Petch yet but that game at least sold the idea of testing him in a position where nous isn't as crucial. If he can work on defensive chasing I actually reckon his energy could be nice around the contest going forward
Yeah Petch at times has shown a bit of glimpses in the midfield albeit at WAFL. There was on play in 2019 when he got the tap from baz and just explodes away from congestion like boots does. I don’t think he will personally make it as I don’t think he has the footy iq and sides will work him out soon. That said we desperately need speed in the middle and might as well give him one more summer training as a mid that giving another year to a plodder such as Clark, Xon of Ledwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back