Review Positives from the first half of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Tasmania
There's no getting around the fact that this year has been largely disappointing and a bit of a reality check about the state of our list. While I did predict a significant drop off by the Dogs this year it has still been very difficult to watch. A lot of people are talking about our players "going backwards" but I suspect that players look better than they are when they are in a team that is performing well. Conversely, a dysfunctional team will make the individuals look worse as well. We currently have a dysfunctional team.

Whilst we hesitate to admit it, the list is quite obviously going through a rebuild. Whether or not it seems bizarre that a young team who recently won a premiership is rebuilding is inconsequential; the fact is that this is unquestionably a rebuild. If our performance is a symptom of the growing pains of a young list in transition then that is probably the best case scenario. If it's due to inadequacy in the coaching department or disharmony within the group then that is much more troubling. Either way, I thought it would be nice to examine the positives and see if we can find a silver lining.

Billy Gowers: I was puzzled by this pick at the time. I'd seen him play at VFL and didn't think he was AFL quality. I have been pleasantly surprised how consistently good he has been so far this year. He's probably not a superstar but for a rookie pick I think he looks to have been a steal.

Tom Boyd: After missing most of last year with mental health issues his future in football looked very uncertain. He worked hard at VFL level finding some form and genuinely earned his spot in the side. To my eye he seems to be dropping far less of those easy marks which had become so typical. He looks to be playing with more confidence and maturity. There is still a long way to go if he is to live up to what we think his potential might be but I think he is tracking along nicely. I also love his new viking look.

Ed Richards: I was stoked with this pick before I even knew anything about him just based on his glorious hair. As a first year player there is a lot to be excited about. He brings two things we are chronically lacking: pace and skill. Really looks like a 300 gamer to me.

Naughton: The most exciting KPP we have drafted since I've been following the Bulldogs. I can't remember a first year KPP having the impact he has on games (apart from Adams). Even with a fully fit list, this guy makes us a better side instantly.

English: Has struggled at times but has also shown us enough that we can safely believe he is going to make it at AFL level. A unique player who may never be a dominant tap ruckman but who essentially gives us an extra midfielder. I'm intrigued to watch him develop and I really hope he can become a real weapon for us with his skills and mobility.

Macrae: He has taken his game to yet another level and is now firmly within the very top tier of midfielders. He will probably be our next brownlow winner if Bont doesn't steal too many votes from him.

Mclean: He has continued on his upward trajectory from the second half of last season. Very damaging player. Has composure in spades and as much resolve as anyone. Never seems to drop his head or stop trying. With skill, strength, pace and a touch of xfactor he truly is the total package. My personal favourite and I'm determined to get a smoothie with him one day.

Please add any other positives you can think of. And please avoid pointing out any negatives or disputing anyone elses points. I'd be really grateful if we could keep this as a "good vibes only" type of thread.

Please add any other positives you can think of. And please avoid pointing out any negatives or disputing anyone elses points. I'd be really grateful if we could keep this as a "good vibes only" type of thread.

Great post, Scrag. Your comments about Billy Gowers in particular reflect my own thoughts. I watched quite a bit of VFL last season where he was a handy opportunistic forward but thought a couple of others were ahead of him to be rookied (notably Hayes). His positives this year are underpinned with a confidence that is perhaps partly attributable to LB (based on what I’ve read about Billy’s elevation to our senior squad).

I’d like to add a couple more your list:

Suckling: Has improved the defensive side of his game to a point where the odd turnover can be forgiven. I’ve enjoyed watching a guy in the last third of his career quietly develop tackling and harassing skills to augment an obviously scintillating left foot when ‘on song’. Would be a sneaky chance for a top-5 B&F finish at present. We all need to discharge him from the whipping-boy club.

Williams: Looked a general in our backline at times this year. Still very young but, oh boy, appears to be the hidden gem of the 2015 draft. I’m on board.

Special mention to Zaine Cordy’s left foot which - despite making me wince - almost always finds its target.

The club is unbeatable this weekend.

The club is travelling so well that Josh Dunkley and Mitch Wallis are not good enough to be best 22.

Mitch Honeychurch has improved so significantly, that be is now clear best 22, and is regarded more highly than Wallis and Dunkley. We must re-sign him now before other clubs work out how much Mitch symbolises our awesomeness.

Tom Boyd is no longer unable to play due to depression. His marking power fwd, straight kicking and awesome tapwork was missed.

Josh Schache is no longer homesick and can play again. No doubt he will have missed his footy so much that he will hit the contest like a starving, rabid animal

Marcus Adams is nearly fit and hasn't hurt himself for at least a few days.

Lin Jong is showing something in the VFL and isn't far from taking the next step (such an athletic beast).

Fletcher Roberts is thankfully locked into a contract for next year. Locking away crucial quality depth is key. Suck eggs to all the other clubs queuing up to get Fletch.

Libba and Dahl are unrestricted free agents. Excellent club planning - let them test the market so when they come back to us empty we can re-sign them for peanuts.

Tom Campbell is primed and ready to play AFL but the form of Roghead and Boyd is keeping him out. Great ruck space to be in.

Redpath, Smith, Adams, Dickson and Libba's rehab tracking well and will be so fresh when they come back.

Good news all round.

. images (32).jpeg

Last edited:
Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Cordy, McLean, Naughton, Richards, English, Young, Williams are all young with plenty of football and improvement in them are a good group to be the core for many years. Getting the best out of Boyd and Schache is a must, if that can happen look out. A high draft pick in a strong draft.

The club is unbeatable this weekend.

The club is travelling so well that Josh Dunkley and Mitch Wallis are not good enough to be best 22.

Mitch Honeychurch has improved so significantly, that be is now clear best 22, and is regarded more highly than Wallis and Dunkley. We must re-sign him now before other clubs work out how much Mitch symbolises our awesomeness.

Tom Boyd is no longer unable to play due to depression. His marking power fwd, straight kicking and awesome tapwork was missed.

Josh Schache is no longer homesick and can play again. No doubt he will have missed his footy so much that he will hit the contest like a starving, rabid animal

Marcus Adams is nearly fit and hasn't hurt himself for at least a few days.

Lin Jong is showing something in the VFL and isn't far from taking the next step (such an athletic beast).

Fletcher Roberts is thankfully locked into a contract for next year. Locking away crucial quality depth is key. Suck eggs to all the other clubs queuing up to get Fletch.

Libba and Dahl are unrestricted free agents. Excellent club planning - let them test the market so when they come back to us empty we can re-sign them for peanuts.

Tom Campbell is primed and ready to play AFL but the form of Roghead and Boyd is keeping him out. Great ruck space to be in.

Redpath, Smith, Adams, Dickson and Libba's rehab tracking well and will be so fresh when they come back.

Good news all round.

.View attachment 509325
The irony brings a smile but the accuracy brings a tear.

in the last two games, I have really liked the intensity with which we started the games and played in the first quarter. we led by around three or more goals in each. I think that this is a good sign, especially for a young side in the sense that they know that they can start well. the decline in performance after the first quarter is a worry, but I suspect it is due to how young the team is. the upside of all the players mentioned is a plus and a half. with a high pick this year in round one, we look like a strong side in years to come. did not like the comments by the coach about 2016, but there is a lot of truth in it. we lost experience and the wheels fell off the wagon. you cannot buy experience and clearly we need it. I think we have a 20% chance of making the eight. Trengove is not as bad as some people say, and shache and Boyd are going to be really, really good. the more they play, the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mclean: He has continued on his upward trajectory from the second half of last season. Very damaging player. Has composure in spades and as much resolve as anyone. Never seems to drop his head or stop trying. With skill, strength, pace and a touch of xfactor he truly is the total package. My personal favourite and I'm determined to get a smoothie with him one day.
Hehehe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back