Review Positives/Negatives/North meltdown thread - Rd 19, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We played crap today just watched the highlights we have been top 3 all year

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
We're comfortably the second best team this season.

All our losses bar round 1 have come with multiple A graders missing. That's a challenge we have to work through in the finals, our intensity can drop off a bit and we don't have the big guns to bail us out (see Essendon, North and q4 Adelaide in particular).

We played crap today just watched the highlights we have been top 3 all year

Get a grip bud.

It’s a meaningless H&A game.

Put on your big boy pants.

Have your rant, but don’t keep harping on. Gotta move forward.

So many posters jumping ship after one game? Weak as piss. Oh my boy oh wow in the wee.

JK late out. Shuey late out. Jetta unexpected out. Game played in Siberia against a team whose season literally depended on the outcome + due to late outs we were massively put on the spot/out of shape.

That game was an anomaly. I don't think it reflects our capabilities at all. Game needs to be forgotten about and we just move on. Disregard, delete, forget.

And show some ******* faith you dickless wonders(in this thread).
Concur with most of your words except " oh wow in the wee" leaves me a little concerned?

My other rant is that we should not be playing in Tasmania absolutely bloody pathetic the AFL suck big balls. West coast travel far as it is. Get Richmond to play at Rottnest island

Yep

Let West Coast play there, they wont fill seats anyway

Nekminute 88k at Richmond v Collingwood MCG

Collingwood have never played there
Ricmond 2 times
Weve played there 3 times for 1 win

Other than North, Victorian teams have played there 7 times
Interstate teams 11 times.
which is impressive as there are less interstate teams then there are Victorian teams not named North Melbourne.

Was a game from the start of the season that I had a ? against.

Don't play there well and we were down with a couple of very important players out.

When our top end talent misses games it just highlights that our midfield is substandard.
North has a very good and much under rated midfield, its blue collar , but by gee its very effective : Zebell, Cunnington , Higgins and Dumont.
Four tough nuts that put their head over the ball and make a contest of every disputed ball.
Our recruiters just don't rate these sorts of players they go flashy skill full players ... case in point we took Venables over The Shaker.

Sadly Dom Sheed is showing some very concerning signs as I am not sure how much improvement he has left in his game and for a high draft pick he is turning out to be a real disappointment.

That said this loss is not the end of the world but it should send some urgent watch points through the coaching box and football department.
Once again we lost the clearances :rotatinglight: and contested possession:rotatinglight: count.
When we come up against a hard arsed tough midfield we get our pants pulled down.:rotatinglight:
Again we conceded goals at late stages in quarters :rotatinglight:.
One goal in a half of football should be sounding alarm bells :rotatinglight: ....... when we are switched on we are good when we are switched off we are woeful.

As I said earlier its not the end of the world and sometimes you can learn a lot from your failures and make some changes.

Looking forward to the Derby and the players getting a chance to redeem themselves.
Ziebell doesn't play in the midfield mate permanent forward. The guy you didnt mention Paul Ahern who hasnt even played 10 AFL games destroyed us and was clearly best on ground had 13 clearences and his use by foot was first class.

Our mids were pathetic today and that includes Lycett who was so poor it wasnt funny. The fumbling was horrendous and strength over the ball and keeping our feet was a disgrace all signs of it being too hard and not meaning enough.

Sheed is a WAFL player atm has zero confidence and is a lost soul out there whatever he has been working on at East Perth isnt working back to East Perth please.

What it shows is that unless all our mids play well collectively we are uncompetitive against good teams. We no longer have an advantage in the ruck.

Also the win over Collingwood was it really that good i reckon the Pies had a flat one just like we did today.

The next 3 weeks is do or die win them all we finish 2nd lose 1 still in a good spot lose 2 things get mighty tough.

Meh, any complaining about the location of the game is just deflecting. Not like it’s much further with the direct flight now anyway.

Glad someone said it.

Too much whining about the conditions too. Yeah it was cold, boo-hoo. There was virtually no wind and the ground was firm. We just didn't turn up.

What a terrible performance. Hopefully were saving our form for the finals cause it was the most sluggish and heartless performance i've seen this year. Awful team selection, need 4+ changes next week imo.

Still second though and if we bounce back hard from this were gonna get top 2 so not all is lost. That home qualifying final will be so sweet if we get it. :rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Using the ground as a reason for the loss is a piss poor excuse, are we going to be like Scott ans whinge the roof was not closed, we lost because we didn't want it bad enough.

We just don't have the mental toughness to stand up when the heat goes on and it gets tough, not to often of late does this group show any fight when teams get a run on and go away from us. The guys missing yesterday would not have helped with the mental side of the game, that is what we need to correct if we want to be considered a serious contender at the pointy end.

The biggest loss of all the players is Nic, his ability to do the little things lifts the team, no one else in that team is capable of doing that, i'd like to be wrong and see someone step up when it matters, haven't seen anything yet from this group to show otherwise. So many times after losses like this we have heard all the talk, we are not happy etc, only to come out the following week and dish up a soft win. Anything other than a ten goal flogging next week against Freo will be poor.

Using the ground as a reason for the loss is a piss poor excuse, are we going to be like Scott ans whinge the roof was not closed, we lost because we didn't want it bad enough.

We just don't have the mental toughness to stand up when the heat goes on and it gets tough, not to often of late does this group show any fight when teams get a run on and go away from us. The guys missing yesterday would not have helped with the mental side of the game, that is what we need to correct if we want to be considered a serious contender at the pointy end.

The biggest loss of all the players is Nic, his ability to do the little things lifts the team, no one else in that team is capable of doing that, i'd like to be wrong and see someone step up when it matters, haven't seen anything yet from this group to show otherwise. So many times after losses like this we have heard all the talk, we are not happy etc, only to come out the following week and dish up a soft win. Anything other than a ten goal flogging next week against Freo will be poor.
spot on we are missing our very best mid and Shuey who while a long way back is our second best.
The tough have gone - the others need to get going

- Our misfiled got smashed. We rely on Shuey, Gaff, Redden and Yeo. If they don't all have massive games. We get exposed
- Jetta was missed his elite ball use helps
- Lack of scoring, 1.4 in a half of footy is horrible stuff

+ Yeo was good, Hutch was good,

Not much else, lets put this one away and move on

Agree to a point. However, once the goal umpire indicated it was a goal, it's hard to get it overturned. It's impossible to tell for sure. They'd need to to set the ball up as an oval hotspot!
The ball deviated in flight, but even so I was more bemused by the non call on Rioli. Even if you accept (i dont) that he ducked.. the North Melbourne player conceded when he allowed the tackle to turn into a long head pulling action.

Agree to a point. However, once the goal umpire indicated it was a goal, it's hard to get it overturned. It's impossible to tell for sure. They'd need to to set the ball up as an oval hotspot!
The ball deviated in flight, but even so I was more bemused by the non call on Rioli. Even if you accept (i dont) that he ducked.. the North Melbourne player conceded when he allowed the tackle to turn into a long head pulling action.

At the beginning of the year, a lot of people were resigned to the idea that this season was all about the development.

We certainly got that today - our young forwards got taught a lesson about defending the rebound, and clearly our mids will have a lot of footage to look over too. Emerging players like Duggan and Cole has enough work to do and would be pretty proud of their efforts today.

Obviously it's great that we've had a good season and are a chance to go deep in finals, instead of getting of getting pantsed like this every week.

That said, it's easy to forget that most of the squad still have a lot of growth left in them. They have a lot to learn about each other as a group. Games like this won't hurt us in the long run and have the potential to help fast-track some of these kids.

Can understand the negativity around Sheed though. He'd know exactly what he needed to do, but - again - couldn't get it done. Gaff would be in the same boat here, albeit with more credits in the bank.

thoughts.

was a poor performance however still second. we need to now win every game from here to protect our position. doable but really our destiny is in our own hands
cant understand how we were so easily beaten around the ball. simple as this, our players really didnt wanna play yesterday.
simmo saying kenendy could be out for the derby. that got me even angrier considering now hackdorn is ******* about gloating and stating it is now a 3 to 4 week injury. what the * is going on.
to let kangas win was utter revolting. also the league needs to keep wce and freo out of these whackjob trips especially that there are no direct flights.

all in all my expectations of the team has skyrocketed but we have still come a very long way from where we thought wed be.

lock in top 2 and we should play very deep into september. winning it and im still not convinced.

on a side note i hope all is well for shue and his wife.

My thoughts on this game are that we are trained to play one style of footy and we really don't know what to do if it doesn't work out for us. Playing at that ground against the Roos, we should have known that the game would be played below the knees, with the ball on the deck for much of the day. Our game play revolves around keeping the ball high, taking marks and creating space for the next passage of play. Anyone who wants to beat the Eagles should use the same tactic as the Roos did yesterday. Play close to your man, bring the ball to ground and jump on it. Scrappy clearances coupled with fast hands. Our ability to extract the ball is woeful and our hand skills in close, equally bad.
This is not a shot at the players, we are trained to follow a game plan and it works quite well, but when we are tested against our weakest skills, we were found wanting.
Our worst skills as a team would be:
  • tackling;
  • avoiding tackles;
  • clean hands; and
  • pressure handballs.
No doubt our players are told to avoid these things, hence the patented Eagles "around-the-body bomb" that they all use so often.
All teams have their strengths and weaknesses, what we need to do is identify ours and learn to combat them.

Ahahah how dumb is every team bombing it in long with McGovern cleaning up back there. Idiots!

Majak Daw. The massive unit clunking or destroying anything in the air. No Josh Kennedy. How about we try and come up with some different entries when your own team know exactly how that plays into your hands. Jayyssusss how can you be so dumb especially when you are getting smacked at contested ball so bringing it down isn't even going to help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back