Remove this Banner Ad

mike91

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 13, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
+

Brayshaw - clean hands, good kick and does the one percenters that puts the ball to the advatnage of his teammates

Taberner - clearly our best forward. Faded after half time, but plenty of marks and bought the ball to ground. Kicked straight in front of goal

Banfield - dangerous and effective. Really impressed me

Fyfe - best on ground. Damn he was good

Ryan - Very good, usual marking and kicking. Massive potential

A. Pearce - geez we've missed him. Barely got beaten all day

-

Johnson - thought his decision making was average

Cox - looked garbage in defense

McCarthy - worse forward on the ground

Sheridan - kicking still not good enough, though not as bad as last years

B. Hill - worse on ground?

D. Pearce - seriously shocking

Grey - doesn't look AFL quality. Love his attack, but he shouldn't be best 22.

Not much to take from that one except that Taberner and McCarthy should probably be the starting combo up forward come round 1.

+

Brayshaw - clean hands, good kick and does the one percenters that puts the ball to the advatnage of his teammates

Taberner - clearly our best forward. Faded after half time, but plenty of marks and bought the ball to ground. Kicked straight in front of goal

Banfield - dangerous and effective. Really impressed me

Fyfe - best on ground. Damn he was good

Ryan - Very good, usual marking and kicking. Massive potential

A. Pearce - geez we've missed him. Barely got beaten all day

-

Agree 100%

Positives - DP, Grey, Rixx and to a lesser extent Sutcliffe confirmed Peel is where they should ply their craft from here. Fyfe looked in ripping nick. Brayshaw as good an AFL level debut as could be hoped for. Fitness looked good. Ryan and Wilson will make a huge difference.

Negatives - Ballas teased us at the end but did not deliver. Johnson not much chop.

+

-

another negative - your understanding of the words "worst" and "worse" :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players to move out:
Johnson Pearce Grey Sheridan Sutcliffe. But we all knew that.

Hughes Hamling Logue and that backline looks solid.

S Hill, Cerra Crowden could get a run
Darcy for Meek probably

I also want to see Cox at CHF
Tabs at FF, Fyfe out of a pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to get a decent game into Meek. He was at least part of the reason we dropped the bundle at the end, but it's not reasonable to expect a kid to do much more at the centre bounces against one of the AFLs best. He will learn from that. Enjoyed his game otherwise.

The big positive was the more direct style of play, better ball movement, and some re-jigging of our forward work, especially Fyfe and Taberner.

Matera showed some glimpses, but overall not a compelling game. Probably typical of a few players out there who looked rusty and off peak. They will all be better for the run.

I am not really interested in how many players they had out etc. They were the best side in the comp last year, and their "ins" include someone like Dear in his 3rd season. That is quite different from someone like Banfield, Meek or Brayshaw. We did okay against a better side in a pre-season hit out. All good. But Ballantyne and D Pearce can fade into the hedge as quickly as possible imo. Get Crowden in.

So the main positive from that game as far I can tell, having not watched any of it is that there are plenty of spots open for Crowden to fill before round one.
Pretty confident we can expect to see him in the next game. Cannot see the point of Ballantyne or D Pearce playing. Plenty of young boys to cycle through though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back