Autopsy Positives & Negatives of JLT1

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not what people here are saying though.

People here are literally bagging him for not kicking goals at regular intervals, because the ball is not in our forward line.

The number of straws people will grasp at to bag Tabs is ridiculous. Granted it's hard to admit you are wrong, especially when, like some people, you've spent years bagging him in every thread, saying he should be delisted etc.

But there's really no need for them to keep at it now and make themselves look stupid by continuing to bag him when he's obviously our best key forward. They don't *have* to bag Taberner. They could just choose not to post and stop digging.

Like you bag Chis Mayne and call him a spud, it's debatable whether Tabs will ever achieve what Mayne did at Freo, atm Tabs has got a long way to go to achieve what Mayne did in the 2013 .

From my memory some of the games he didn't play well in were wet days , Which don't suit tall marking forwards.

So let me get this straight and apologies if this comes across as rude. You have an excuse for every game Tabs has played well in? You're saying he gets lucky every single time he plays well? Sorry, but those excuses you've provided are so pathetic, I'd expect that garbage from wce fans, not one of our own!

Sydney don't have a key back, yet consistently make the top 4 and play Grand Finals? In fact, it's well known Sydney have one of the best defenses, they're very hard to score against and Fremantle personally has always struggled. Sydney conceded the least score of any team for about 3 months last year. So your excuse is poor. We loss by 104 points in this game, yet Tabs still managed to have 18d, 9m (5 contested, game high) 3t, 1 goal 2 behinds. Pretty impressive in a team that got thumped. Oh and he also had an equal team high third for disposals.

Against Essendon he had 18d, 9m (7 contested, easily game high) and kicked 4.1. Hurley played in this game. Tabs was either best or second best on ground to B. Hill. Even Ross Lyon laughed at people using the heat as an excuse after the game.

Essendon again, Tabs 14d, 9m (4 contested, game high again) 2.1. The Hurley didn't play excuse is soft, searching for the bottom of the barrel for an excuse really. Hartley and Ambrose played and kept Kersten quiet, while McCarthy got dropped. Tabs delivered.

That's two quality, finals teams Tabs has played very well against.

Winding back the clock to when he had played less than 50 games is the Saints game - 2016 at Etihad. 13d, 5m, 5 hit outs, 2 goals 1 behind (missed a sitter, could have been 3). Was our best forward that game and took good contested marks, equal highest contested marks on ground and most for our team.

Round 23, 2015 we played Port. We sent out our B team, so the A team could be fresh for finals. We loss by more than 10 goals. Tabs our only sole forward with a WAFL midfield kicking it to him, 15d, 3m, 2 goals 2 behinds.

In conclusion, your excuses, which is exactly what they are, are weak. You refuse to acknowledge when he plays a good game, instead you come up with excuses as to why he played well, which is mind boggling, because usually we defend our players for bad games, not make excuses for their good ones :huh:
If he so good why isn’t he getting a regular games?

We need a key forward to stand up most of the time. I really hope that Taberner fill the gap.

If you think that performance shouldn’t be judged by the opposition you play and context of the game, well good luck to you.

Taberner really does seem to get judged differently from other players. If any of our other key forward prospects hauled down a bunch of contested marks and kicked 3 goals we'd be swinging from the chandeliers. He does it and gets dropped 2 weeks later while Kersten goes on getting 6 touches for the game or thereabouts and gets automatically selected for most of a season.

Taberner really does seem to get judged differently from other players. If any of our other key forward prospects hauled down a bunch of contested marks and kicked 3 goals we'd be swinging from the chandeliers. He does it and gets dropped 2 weeks later while Kersten goes on getting 6 touches for the game or thereabouts and gets automatically selected for most of a season.
Yeah fair enough comments. He had a terrific JL1 but that cross kick was a shocker. And costly. But I remain impressed with his ability to improve.

I thought him playing at Peel was the right move by the way, and he responded well.

Like you bag Chis Mayne and call him a spud, it's debatable whether Tabs will ever achieve what Mayne did at Freo, atm Tabs has got a long way to go to achieve what Mayne did in the 2013 .

When you play 160 games in a row despite awful form it's easier to string a couple of good games together.

If Tabs had played 160 games and not shown much I would agree with you. But in terms of selection he's the anti-Mayne. Mayne got selected week in, week out despite playing like dog s**t for 3 years. We even selected him when he was injured, ahead of fit youngsters.

Taberner on the other hand played only 8 games last year despite being the best key forward in the WAFL and our other forwards struggling.

When you play 160 games in a row despite awful form it's easier to string a couple of good games together.

If Tabs had played 160 games and not shown much I would agree with you. But in terms of selection he's the anti-Mayne. Mayne got selected week in, week out despite playing like dog s**t for 3 years. We even selected him when he was injured, ahead of fit youngsters.

Taberner on the other hand played only 8 games last year despite being the best key forward in the WAFL and our other forwards struggling.

Do you even watch Freo games ? yeah Mayne was no world beater and was done towards the end at Freo, but he was responsible in a s**t load of games for creating goals with his "manic" pressure playing as the second tall for the majority of career when Freo were a force and playing finals consistently , to say he was a spud and s**t is a load of s**t, you sound like the Vics complaining about Maxwell not getting picked in tests, stop being a fanboii.

Tabs will be great if he can bring marking the ball out of defense into his game more, for those inevitable slow downs in play that result in a long kick to a contest. He didn't have a full preseason so I won't expect to see it consistently early on in the year.

Dragging him away from goal isn't the best and the transition football out of defense in JLT1 was for our backs to break and offer options on the flank, so Alex Pearce could be the marking target instead.

Priorities for my preferred KPF:
1. Kick goals. The more the better.
10. Pack marks, speccies, busting packs, tapping down to small forwards, contested marking, manic pressure, helping get the ball out of defence and everything else.

Do you even watch Freo games ? yeah Mayne was no world beater and was done towards the end at Freo.

Still got picked every game though. Because we love our "role players", as evidenced by the amount of people stepping up to defend a guy who has been shown not to be AFL quality since he left Fremantle.

Taberner is an average footballer. He could possibly go to a level about that if he was given the opporunities that others have been given, but I don't see him making much difference if he is in and out of the team like he has been!

At the moment he is our best key forward, and that's ******* sad!!!

Taberner is an average footballer. He could possibly go to a level about that if he was given the opporunities that others have been given, but I don't see him making much difference if he is in and out of the team like he has been!

At the moment he is our best key forward, and that's ******* sad!!!

That is the point though. Having an "average" key forward is a big step up from where we were last year. We finally after 15 odd years have a key forward who is showing promise in the WAFL and then refuse to play him because "reasons" and play Suban and/or Ballantyne at CHF was just pretty much the most unfathomably stupid thing you could ever imagine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure glad we didn’t entertain that Mayne dump deal. He is bog ordinary watching him in that JLT game. My call is he won’t see out the season on their list which is very poor recruiting. Mayne was solid for us between 2011-2014. One of our greatest trade heists ever getting Brad Hill after Mayne’s 2015-16 seasons.

Speaking of trading we need to use the Weller scenario as a guide and use better hindsight. Real shame we were unable to get anything for likes of Roberton or Barlow and should have traded them a year earlier whilst under contract. Think back to Tarrant and M. Harvey digging in and making him serve his contract. Having a contract needs to be the Trade bargaining chip, esp. if they want to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back