Autopsy Positives & Negatives v GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

Are any of the Masten, Darling and Lecca haters going to come out of the woodwork and admit all three have had a pretty good start to the season??

So much negativity on here preseason about these three so good on them and hopefully their form continues!!

I will. I don't rate Masten and never will. He looks good when we're traveling well but he's so undersized to really have an impact if we're not. Will have tackles broken and can't break them himself, plus is not zippy or nimble enough for a bloke of his size. But credit to him for being decent when we're up. The big test is when we're against better sides.

Darling is one I've always hoped to see prosper. He still pulls out the head flick back at times, whinge makes me cringe, but I've never thought he's been completely awful. He does his role pretty well and works damn hard for a KPP.

LeCras is back to his top tier form. I thought he was past it, which happens. Whether it was nagging injury holding him back, he's definitely looking like that's behind him now. Been outstanding.

One thing I will say about the win - Gold Coast, for their improvement, have been shafted by the AFL in not only having to play in Perth during this away run due to the Comm Games but having both Perth games back to back and doing the stupid thing of camping here for the week, which has never worked for traveling teams anywhere in this comp. And I know they sold the home game but it's on the AFL for allowing it and also for scheduling this crap. I feel sorry for them, this is their third away game in a row. Imagine us dealing with that, we'd be utter crap too (I remember the early days when this s**t happened, too).

Good win by the boys. Need to back it up against Carlton at our hoodoo ground, which could be the real danger game IMO.

My initial view was he burnt lecras big time, not lachie Neale levels but a decent burn nonetheless. Watching it again I think he took the right option
Same, I think he summed it up quickly. And went with the higher percentage option, too get it to Lecras would have been a tough kick. And a tough mark for Lecras.

He is a pretty clever player Rioli. Enjoying watching.

He looked like he had stuffing up his nose though.

Different incident:

Ben Ainsworth came from the field with a blood nose in the first quarter after a high hit in a marking contest and was in the wars later after copping a heavy bump from Mark LeCras in the third term, which caused his concussion and ended his night.

+ JK back, JD in career best form, Naitanui killing it, Rioli fit and looks decent, Sheed shrugging tackles now, team looks far quicker, hungrier and more dangerous than last year.

- Venner's ankle. Had a fiver on Masten to get 30 touches and LeCras to kick 3 at $61. C'mon, you guys couldn't feed him one more flat track goal in his 200th game? Dicks.
Haha had a mate with gaff instead of masten who missed out on $400 bucks because of this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I will say about the win - Gold Coast, for their improvement, have been shafted by the AFL in not only having to play in Perth during this away run due to the Comm Games but having both Perth games back to back and doing the stupid thing of camping here for the week, which has never worked for traveling teams anywhere in this comp. And I know they sold the home game but it's on the AFL for allowing it and also for scheduling this crap. I feel sorry for them, this is their third away game in a row. Imagine us dealing with that, we'd be utter crap too (I remember the early days when this s**t happened, too).

Good win by the boys. Need to back it up against Carlton at our hoodoo ground, which could be the real danger game IMO.
It's probably one of the main factors why we swapped draft picks with them. We knew they would struggle with their fixture.

ok im going to say it

Negative - Rioli burning Lecras to get his 1st goal. Was selfish. Did something similar later on when he turned his back on goal for a set shot when we had a man free inside 50 about 25m out. Happy for him to open his account but dont burn people like that for your own glory.
Probably learnt that move off LeCras

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Well done Crippa, after a shaky couple of years in front of goal he looks like finding his 2015 mojo again!

Bollocks to people saying this win means nothing. The ability to put a visiting team to the sword is a big part of making our new home ground a fortress. No one was really afraid of Subi last year. Not just because we lost a few, but also because our wins were unconvincing.

Check this out, home wins 50+ margin:
—2015
R2 v Carl, +69
R5 v GWS, +87
R7 v GC, +92
R9 v Geel, +56
R11 v Ess, +50
R15 v Adel, +56
R17 v Swans, +52
R21 v WB, +77
R23 v StK, +95
—2016
R1 v Bris, +66
R4 v Rich, +68
R6 v Pies, +62
R8 v StK, +103
R10 v GC, +77
R15 v ESS +78
—2017
R19 v Bris, +68

Now I don’t see us matching the heady days of 2015 with 9 home shellackings, but we’ve got one in the bag and it’s only R4 so it’s a start.

In looking back at the game, and all season really, is the spread of contributors. It's just great team football.

The next two months are a tough run, but if this mostly young group goes in with the right mindset, we can really forge our next core out of this.

Same, I think he summed it up quickly. And went with the higher percentage option, too get it to Lecras would have been a tough kick. And a tough mark for Lecras.

He is a pretty clever player Rioli. Enjoying watching.
Lecras wasn't upset about it, he would understand Rioli's mindset perfectly.

Few people mentioning how up and about the team are looking.

I think NN and the young kids are a factor, but I reckon the big reason is the new stadium.

They're now playing in front of 50,000+ people at home in this amazing looking stadium.
The noise would be louder than they've heard (outside finals) given away games at the MCG are not in front of big crowds.

Wasn't Reddens best game, but he did lay 5 of teams 48 tackles and some of his work in close was pretty good.

Actually, you do have a point. I keep forgetting Redden is being played off a wing, which severely impacts his production. Add in the fact I was half watching the game at times and mainly judged him off his stats, and you've got a pretty unfair assessment.

I've removed the negative, cheers for the heads up.

Last edited:
Actually, you do have a point. I keep forgetting Redden is being played off a wing, which severely impacts his production. Add in the fact I was half watching the game at times and mainly judged him off his stats, and you've got a pretty unfair assessment.

I've changed the negative, cheers for the heads up.
Hey, I've got this bridge you might be interested in:D

I've changed the negative, cheers for the heads up.
I was happy with Reddens work. Nelson also went under the radar - worked hard and didn't cause an error. Great in the clinches.
Duggen was also impressive and expansive at times.

Willi is smart and strong. He has to be the celebration captain - infectious energy

ok im going to say it

Negative - Rioli burning Lecras to get his 1st goal. Was selfish. Did something similar later on when he turned his back on goal for a set shot when we had a man free inside 50 about 25m out. Happy for him to open his account but dont burn people like that for your own glory.
There wasn't someone free for his second shot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back