Autopsy Positives & Negatives v GCS

Remove this Banner Ad

My initial view was he burnt lecras big time, not lachie Neale levels but a decent burn nonetheless. Watching it again I think he took the right option

His opponent was rushing at him meaning a low pass wasn't an option as he needed to give the kick height to avoid it being smothered and no way was a handball going to work as his body position was all wrong to get off a 15+m handpass

Lecras' opponent was trailing him by several metres but was sprinting to catch-up meaning if lecras had to stop or prop to receive he'd be rundown.

Honestly think by kicking to an open goal square Rioli took the better/less risky option as snapshots on goal line that are what he's in the side for
He burnt him because he was outside 50 and he really wanted a free burger.

My initial view was he burnt lecras big time, not lachie Neale levels but a decent burn nonetheless. Watching it again I think he took the right option

His opponent was rushing at him meaning a low pass wasn't an option as he needed to give the kick height to avoid it being smothered and no way was a handball going to work as his body position was all wrong to get off a 15+m handpass

Lecras' opponent was trailing him by several metres but was sprinting to catch-up meaning if lecras had to stop or prop to receive he'd be rundown.

Honestly think by kicking to an open goal square Rioli took the better/less risky option as snapshots on goal line that are what he's in the side for
100% agree. Not like Lecca is the fastest guy in the team. It wasn’t half as bad as the commentators were making out

Not enough love for Duggan. Had nine contested possessions, won or halved a lot of contests and used the ball pretty well all night.

Was one of best players defensively, intercepting the ball coming in and providing a crap load of pressure on the ball carrier.

Him playing like he did plays a big role in Yeo getting forward of center and back to his damaging best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not enough love for Duggan. Had nine contested possessions, won or halved a lot of contests and used the ball pretty well all night.

Was one of best players defensively, intercepting the ball coming in and providing a crap load of pressure on the ball carrier.

Him playing like he did plays a big role in Yeo getting forward of center and back to his damaging best.

Yeah he was really good. Ditto Lycett except for some of his centre bounces against Witts who is no slouch

I think the biggest positive is definitely the energy amongst the group. The hard running, blocking and off the ball work has improved so much.

I thought Simmos presser was quite telling in as much as he admitted they have gone to a more role based system for a lot of players. I think this KISS method is working a lot better for our second tier players. We are getting so much more out of Nelson, Masto, redden (dont get the hate at all in reddog) and crippa. We have a lot less passengers looking lost out there.

Negative is obviously the injury to Venners. A shame as he seemed to be settling in well at the level.

I will. I don't rate Masten and never will. He looks good when we're traveling well but he's so undersized to really have an impact if we're not. Will have tackles broken and can't break them himself, plus is not zippy or nimble enough for a bloke of his size. But credit to him for being decent when we're up. The big test is when we're against better sides.

Darling is one I've always hoped to see prosper. He still pulls out the head flick back at times, whinge makes me cringe, but I've never thought he's been completely awful. He does his role pretty well and works damn hard for a KPP.

LeCras is back to his top tier form. I thought he was past it, which happens. Whether it was nagging injury holding him back, he's definitely looking like that's behind him now. Been outstanding.

One thing I will say about the win - Gold Coast, for their improvement, have been shafted by the AFL in not only having to play in Perth during this away run due to the Comm Games but having both Perth games back to back and doing the stupid thing of camping here for the week, which has never worked for traveling teams anywhere in this comp. And I know they sold the home game but it's on the AFL for allowing it and also for scheduling this crap. I feel sorry for them, this is their third away game in a row. Imagine us dealing with that, we'd be utter crap too (I remember the early days when this s**t happened, too).

Good win by the boys. Need to back it up against Carlton at our hoodoo ground, which could be the real danger game IMO.
Gold Coast havent been shafted. Professional sporting teams travel out a suitcase all over the world. How many team sports are at the commonwealth games. I dont buy your argument at all. Gold Coast are a fabricated with no end of hand outs team that should be as good if not better than GWS. They sold a home game to Freo whom they beat at Subi last time. No big deal. Living a week or so out a suitcase could be viewed as a refreshing break. Whether we would be crap in the same boat is debatable .l dont feel sorry them.

Is Redden being used as a tagger? It looked like he spent most of his time blocking for others

I don't necessarily think he's playing as a tagger, but he does seem to be playing the defensive mid role. Tackles, blocking etc. Playing his role, and typically doesn't seem to be appreciated. Rojoesque, except he has far better disposal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% agree. Not like Lecca is the fastest guy in the team. It wasn’t half as bad as the commentators were making out
Completely agree. Live, I thought he burnt him big time but on replay, I think he would have messed it up if he tried the pass to LeCras and it was the better option.

I think the biggest positive is definitely the energy amongst the group. The hard running, blocking and off the ball work has improved so much.

I thought Simmos presser was quite telling in as much as he admitted they have gone to a more role based system for a lot of players. I think this KISS method is working a lot better for our second tier players. We are getting so much more out of Nelson, Masto, redden (dont get the hate at all in reddog) and crippa. We have a lot less passengers looking lost out there.

Negative is obviously the injury to Venners. A shame as he seemed to be settling in well at the level.
Yeah I had he feeling over the last few years that Simmo was trying to overcomplicate things and no one was having that much fun with their footy. Looks a lot more natural now. Reckon Mitchell has influenced a bit of that

May have been mentioned - but venables grabbing the jumper and showing the crowd after his goal.. fair to say I think we have a guy who loves the club

Only negative I had is we had the opportunity to trial one of darling/waterman on a wing and we didn't see it.

We will get found out, especially in the wet with our height. Need to see if anyone offers something different.

Is Redden being used as a tagger? It looked like he spent most of his time blocking for others

Redden spent most of his time walking from the contest to contest when he had a chance to run at his opponent
and put some inferred pressure on.
When its in close he will work hard and tackle strongly, when he has to work for it, run hard tends to sit back too much.
He walked slow jogged more than any player on either side last night.
His lack of defensive run hurts our team defence.

According to Simmo he was about to go back on, he was not on cruthes or limping after the game so fingers crossed
I saw him at 3 qtr time with trainers doing run throughs, looked very ginger and sore on it, didn't like running backwards and stopped halfway, think he called it no good to continue, I reckon he'll be out for a few weeks til swelling and soreness are gone, hopefully no structural damage or it will be a couple months like Ryan.

+ Flat tracking a team feels good man, feels good. Been too long.

+ Ruck dominance continues against higher quality opposition. First hands to ball, even if we weren't going to advantage as often tonight. Losing clearances is nothing in our current setup, we let them leave under pressure and gobble it up on intercept. Lycett and Naitanui both productive around ground.

+ Small defenders being badarse. Shep, Duggan, Nelson, Jetta is a great mix. I feel pretty good about taking on small forwards this year, I dunno when the last time that was.

- Someone should make a highlight clip of Gov seeming to go down with a horribly painful injury mid-match, right before jumping to take a grab within the next minute. And make him watch it every morning.
Gov copped a big Corky in his butt from Sam Day I think, he then got crunched in the last qtr in his butt again, he will be sore.

Was interested to see how the Eagles stats compare to other teams.

This one really stood out. The Eagles are ranked 13th for total disposals but 1st for kicks.

Also 1st for contested marks

They are trusting their foot skills and their contested marking.

Love it, keep it up boys!

After 4 rounds WCE are the highest scoring team in the comp.

That felt good to type
And 4th for points conceded.

Defense wins premierships ;)

Was interested to see how the Eagles stats compare to other teams.

This one really stood out. The Eagles are ranked 13th for total disposals but 1st for kicks.

Also 1st for contested marks

They are trusting their foot skills and their contested marking.

Love it, keep it up boys!
Think it becomes very obvious when you look at the Disposal Efficiency of our back six as to where a lot of our drive is coming from.
McGovern 86.4
Hurn 95.5
Barrass 80
Duggan 78.4
Sheppard 86
Jetta 88.6
Pretty impressive.
Add to this the winning ruck and we are into attack in a big way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back