Review Positives & Negatives V Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus that flying shot in the last by Kelly was a ballsy decision :oops:

Watch the replay, he literally has JK and Ryan calling for it in the clear to his right...

And he goes a flying shot, turning off a couple steps kicking it around/between a couple defenders. Could've been touched, smothered, or missed.

Massive moment :fire:
Massive goal :fire:
Massive erection :eggplant: (missus laughs)

Great win, just below the Geelong comeback for mine

+ Kelly, repeat multiple efforts, keeps his feet and has such clean skills, throw in a crucial goal for an all round performance
+ Gaff, his across the body kicking still irks me, but he was great tonight, putting himself in the right spot all around the ground and playing the percentages
+ Nicnat - didn't have it all his own way, but persevered and was highly influential when the game was there to be one with some key clearances and a sublime handpass (18 disposals in the wet!)
+ Duggan is joining Sheppard as being one of our most solid, week in week out, supreme confidence whenever these two are involved in the play
+ Darling, great hands in the wet and is our most important lead up target when we get stuck on the wing - rarely seems to get beaten these days
+ Barrass, outstanding marking and spoiling as usual
+ Hurn, seems to cop it on here, sure he's dropped off compared to recent years, but he still does all the basic things right
+ Schoey, great to see him back, his hairline has receded even further but his game hasn't
+ O'Neill, felt like he had more than 6 touches to me, starting to look like he belongs more and more
+ Ainsworth, his best game so far? shut down Jones and seemed more involved than he has been, massive confidence booster
+ felt like watching the future of the eagles, have a look at the team song and see the younger boys getting around each other
Arguably better than the 2006 game in that it was such a weakened team. We were really scraping the bottom of the barrel last night whereas the 2006 team was strong although the comeback was bigger. Both in the top handful along with GF wins.

I completely wrote the team off before the game. Didn't think we were a chance. After listening to the first quarter and a half on the radio I was glad that I was missing the game and thought my prediction was accurate. I managed to catch the rest half way through the 3rd and glad that I was wrong.

Sure some of the young guys didn't do much but the senior guys we had left really put in the work and scrapped an awesome win. Nic is a beast. If he doesn't get AA this year then there is something wrong.

PS. Loved Ainsworth on Jones. Jones was getting pissed and noticed a couple of gut punches that Brayden completely ignored.

Ryan...just outrageous.This guys thinking is two steps ahead of anybody else on a footy field.
+s everywhere.
_ Commentators saying The Saints are running on top of the ground in the last quarter.Snicker!!
-Baker kicking an easy goal out the back after doing f##k all and doing the big [Docker style] celebration.Dickhead!
-Rotham im afraid hasnt got it.If he cant mark he hasnt got much else.Somebody needs to take him aside and tell him when running alongside an opposition player to give him a bump.The kids got NO idea of bodywork.
-OAllen needs to stop flying for every pack mark and competing with JK and JD.This kid is really good below his knees and between his ears.Play the crumber more often.Take note of how Ryan has adapted his game.

We are the greatest football club in the world!!!!!Mwwaahaahaa!

2020 Rd 17:
In: Brad Sheppard, Jackson Nelson, Tim Kelly, Jake Waterman, Jack Petruccelle, Hamish Brayshaw, Nic Naitanui, Brayden Ainsworth, Andrew Gaff, Jarrod Brander, Oscar Allen, Xavier O'Neill, Josh Rotham.

2018 GF:
Out: Lewis Jetta, Jack Redden, Elliot Yeo, Chris Maston, Mark Hutchings, Mark LeCras, Willie Rioli, Jamie Cripps, Scott Lycett, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed, Daniel Venables, Nathan Vardy.

Thirteen changes. Thirteeen! Of the 'Outs' there's three players not at the club, one in limbo, and everyone else is either injured or unavailable. Some handy 'Ins' though.

My thoughts on the young blokes:

Brayshaw - Didn't show much from limited TOG. Only 5 touches. You could kinda tell he was the last bloke picked.

O'Neill - Had even less TOG than Brayshaw, but had an extra touch. Quiet game but let's not forget not only has he just played his first 5 games of senior footy, but he's played them in just 18 days. I am sure he is sore.

Ainsworth - Didn't do much offensively, but kept Zak Jones to just 15 touches and earned a mention from Simmo.

Rotham - Had a poor first half with his man Membrey taking marks and kicking a goal. Rotham also dropped 2 absolute sitters in our D50. Came back better in the second half.

Brander - He had about 50% more TOG than Brayshaw and O'Neil but only managed 8 touches. He shows glimpses of real quality but they aren't appearing often enough. He also seems to be allergic to the hard stuff, which certainly didn't suit the way the game was played last night, nor will it suit finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’d have to be reasonably happy as a Saints fan with how Ryder competed for three quarters. But geez he had some soft moments when the heat was on, particularly when he ran away from the ball to give NN an uncontested mark at a critical moment

I finally concede that petrol jelly is on a kinfes edge of not making it. That's being kind.
I have thought that too but obviously the club sees something in him as the just gave him a contract extension

LOL.

The 2017 draft just made up 6 of our 22 last night in a great win.

All of them have work to do in terms of their development, (and yes, that applies to Oscar as well), but it is far too early to be making any kind of definitive statements in writing off a bunch of 20/21 year olds.

West Coast is an incredibly difficult side to break in to. At other clubs, Pettrucelle and Brander would be up around 50 games experience by now.

I know you probably find melting more enjoyable, but how about you give the guys a break and let the development coaches s do their job and have a little faith.

+ Ryan - what else can be said. An earlier post mentioned him now having Rioli's outrageous skillset added to his arsenal as mentioned earlier - I fully agree. He's now comfortable at this level to play his natural flair. He's still only 23 (for another month);
+ Kelly and Gaff. They were in the 'zone' and played on pure instinct with 100% grunt. Gaff smashing into everything and Kelly's ability in congestion is absolutely elite;
+ Duggan in the midfield. He's involved in everything with Yeo like physicality but gives away less frees. Hard AF;
+ Naitanui, Barrass on a different tier. Darling stood up well when we needed him too;

Some $2 opinions with regard to the performance of some of our more maligned youngsters:

I'm coming around to Ainsworth. Has been very good playing his role with immense focus last 2 games. It easier to remember his mistakes within him rather than the good things he does but he's improving each game, and apart from 2 inconsequential HT's against he didn't put a foot wrong. Really happy for him. He's tough and strong for his size, and will get better over the ball in time. With the backing of the club he will continue to grow.

Petrucelle I thought was pretty good in his first game back. He was getting to the right spots and stayed involved, which was one of his biggest knocks. Once he shakes the rust off he'll be decent, just need to keep backing him.

The mark by Brander in the 4th on the flank and kick to JK were super important in context to the game. I can see he is visibly trying to crack in, but as another poster said he overthinks it and still appears tentative. Those first 2 saints goals in the last quarter he was in the vicinity but just stood flat footed, albeit it was a good effort for him to get there in the first place being on the wing.

I liked seeing Brayshaw out there. Could develop into handy depth.

Positives and negatives rolled into one;

With one round to go were are in 4th place and for most of the year we've had about 4 guys in each match who are being gifted games and simply making up the numbers. Our depth is paper thin, but luckily we have a core of players who almost never let us down.

+ Ryan - what else can be said. An earlier post mentioned him now having Rioli's outrageous skillset added to his arsenal as mentioned earlier - I fully agree. He's now comfortable at this level to play his natural flair. He's still only 23 (for another month);
+ Kelly and Gaff. They were in the 'zone' and played on pure instinct with 100% grunt. Gaff smashing into everything and Kelly's ability in congestion is absolutely elite;
+ Duggan in the midfield. He's involved in everything with Yeo like physicality but gives away less frees. Hard AF;
+ Naitanui, Barrass on a different tier. Darling stood up well when we needed him too;

Some $2 opinions with regard to the performance of some of our more maligned youngsters:

I'm coming around to Ainsworth. Has been very good playing his role with immense focus last 2 games. It easier to remember his mistakes within him rather than the good things he does but he's improving each game, and apart from 2 inconsequential HT's against he didn't put a foot wrong. Really happy for him. He's tough and strong for his size, and will get better over the ball in time. With the backing of the club he will continue to grow.

Petrucelle I thought was pretty good in his first game back. He was getting to the right spots and stayed involved, which was one of his biggest knocks. Once he shakes the rust off he'll be decent, just need to keep backing him.

The mark by Brander in the 4th on the flank and kick to JK were super important in context to the game. I can see he is visibly trying to crack in, but as another poster said he overthinks it and still appears tentative. Those first 2 saints goals in the last quarter he was in the vicinity but just stood flat footed, albeit it was a good effort for him to get there in the first place being on the wing.

I liked seeing Brayshaw out there. Could develop into handy depth.

Plenty of posters had been calling for Brayshaw to get a game and couldn't understand how he was continually being ignored by the match committee. I think we now know why. Your optimism is admirable.

- Had our first work do for the year last night and didn't finish until 7.30 so had to wait and watch game on replay while avoiding any and all feedback on the game.

- and + jumped in the car and had on 6PR so when I turned on the car heard the Eagles song, timed it perfectly aaargghhh.

- - - would have been such an exciting last qtr if I didn't know we were going to win.

+++ WE WON.

Our bookends are ridiculously good. If Kelly and NicNat can replicate that when Yeo and Shuey and Redden are back OMG.

++ Hearing Derm after the game talking us up as much as he did. Basically his favs for the flag now.

With Ryan playing as well as he is can you just imagine if the whole Rioli fiasco didn't happen.

+++ Our backline, a squillion inside 50's to a handful and we outscored them.

So much more + than last game.

Plenty of posters had been calling for Brayshaw to get a game and couldn't understand how he was continually being ignored by the match committee. I think we now know why. Your optimism is admirable.
He fought hard but just couldn't get any clean possession, which will come with experience and confidence, but he would be purely inside grunt.

I saw him break some tackles in the thick of it a few times, and saw him get involved plenty of times around the ball in the 4th which told me he can handle it. Hell of a game to play for your 1st in the midfield, getting used to AFL pace when your pace is not a strength.

If Simmo goes in majority unchanged vs NM (if Sheed is not available, and Ah Chee for Gov) and they win again the confidence the <10 gamers would get would be great for their development.

I
LOL.

The 2017 draft just made up 6 of our 22 last night in a great win.

All of them have work to do in terms of their development, (and yes, that applies to Oscar as well), but it is far too early to be making any kind of definitive statements in writing off a bunch of 20/21 year olds.

West Coast is an incredibly difficult side to break in to. At other clubs, Pettrucelle and Brander would be up around 50 games experience by now.

I know you probably find melting more enjoyable, but how about you give the guys a break and let the development coaches s do their job and have a little faith.
The 2017 draft was great for us no doubt and this year would be very hard to develop thats why i have patience with Brander and Ainers.
Petch has some outstanding qualities but his disposal, decision making and skill execution needs alot of work not sure he will be able to develop them to AFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back