Pottering

Club Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth (Redlegs), Hiroshima Carp
If Patrick Cripps played in our team, he would probably be the slowest person in our team, which is not particularly quick to begin with.

I'm not saying Hamish will be the next Patrick Cripps, but I think judging a player by what they don't do well is pretty short sighted.

Hamish has obvious limitations, but every player has strengths and weaknesses. Who knows how he will develop. No reason why he can't become inside contested ball beast.

I'm glad to hear you're not saying Brayshaw will be the next Patrick Cripps. Not so glad to think you reckon I was judging Brayshaw on his lack of pace alone. I was commenting on another posters mention on that lack of pace. My overall judgement in what I saw, and what I saw was highly uninspiring. That's why I think there are quite a few reasons why he may not become an inside contested ball beast. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
We played a little differently in defense in that we didn't try to chip it around anywhere near as much as we usually do. Hurn in particular was launching his 50m+ bombs far more often than he usually does. We still struggled to get it out of defense but at least we were creating most of those 50/50 contests well outside our forward 50. I thought we played the conditions very well.
It's a small paddock too, see where the 50m arc almost kisses the centre square - definitely suits run+gun style and quick kicks/long bombs from the centre -it's more up close and personal, unlike the wide open spaces of Optus, Laithlain training ovals and MCG, which suit our kick around and mark style.
Simmo has adapted it seems.
Ps-How pathetic were the Cats tonight?

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
It's a small paddock too, see where the 50m arc almost kisses the centre square - definitely suits run+gun style and quick kicks/long bombs from the centre -it's more up close and personal, unlike the wide open spaces of Optus, Laithlain training ovals and MCG, which suit our kick around and mark style.
Simmo has adapted it seems.

For all the talk of our poor record in QLD we actually have a good record at the Gabba this year.

We're 3W - 1L there this year.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
For all the talk of our poor record in QLD we actually have a good record at the Gabba this year.

We're 3W - 1L there this year.
Yes, we like the Gabba much better (although Josh Rotham doesn’t). Soooo, they will put us at Metricon which seems to do something with our heads, to assist us in losing.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes, we like the Gabba much better (although Josh Rotham doesn’t). Soooo, they will put us at Metricon which seems to do something with our heads, to assist us in losing.

The only thing that is doing something with your head is thinking that the AFL actively tries to thwart our attempts to win games and premierships.

Bacchus

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2008
Down South
AFL Club
West Coast
The only thing that is doing something with your head is thinking that the AFL actively tries to thwart our attempts to win games and premierships.
I have been watching the Eagles for a long time and we have never played well at Metricon. Just beat Gold Coast when they were no good and struggle to, or don’t beat them when they are a bit better. I do think some teams or places can be ‘bogey teams or places’, just have difficulty dealing with it. Past failure or something gets inside your head. The allusion to the AFL was basically a joke, although I don’t think we are their favourite team to succeed, or one which they go out of their way to help. Refer to the North game for example. Reportedly they didn’t want to give us an advantage, what advantage have the Qld teams esp and Adelaide teams had this year? It is much harder to win this competition from WA than anywhere, let’s not kid ourselves.

Level_Headed

Team Captain
Jan 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
The absolute highlight for me was Gaff bursting/accelerating out of the guts to kick into the 50. I have never seen a burst of speed from Gaff. He runs all day but is exceptionally one paced. He actually found another gear. Shocked the sh*t out of me and it was a great bit of play.

This but of play stuck so clearly in my memory! It was bloody exciting. To quote Nick Cummins, 'he got the pill and was off like a bride's nighty'. It was kind of Shuey like.

Belltower

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Plenty of posters had been calling for Brayshaw to get a game and couldn't understand how he was continually being ignored by the match committee. I think we now know why. Your optimism is admirable.

This year a bit tough on the young blokes that haven't been able to play in a proper game. Hard to find form if you are playing in scrimmages.

Some of our young blokes dont look ready but hopefully in time a few of them will develop into handy players. We have gone all in getting Kelly and while Nic Nat has a few years left we are a chance. Could be a gaping hole left in about 3 years when Nic Nat, Shuey, Hurn, Jetta, Redden, are all finished and our other guns are 30 plus, lets hope we can win at least 1 more before that happens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Q1 Nic & stoppage connection Gifs:

Nic1.gif
Nic2.gif
Nic3.gif
NicXON4.gif
Nic5.gif
NicRyan6.gif
NicKelly7.gif
Nic8.gif
Nic9.gif
Nic10.gif

Q1 Bonus Gifs:

Kelly1.gif
KellyAinsworth1.gif
Schoey1.gif
Schoey2.gif
waterman1.gif

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Q2 Gifs:

Intense quarter of footy in the contest, and Ryder gave it everything in the ruck.
Good team play, particularly from Kelly & Ryan, made up for Nic's lack of dominance.

Ainsworth1.gif
Brander1.gif
brander2.gif
Cole1.gif
Gov1.gif
kelly1.gif
kelly2.gif
kelly3.gif
ryan1.gif
TB1.gif
TB2.gif
team1.gif
team2.gif
team3.gif
team4.gif
team5.gif
nic1.gif

Last edited:

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
This year a bit tough on the young blokes that haven't been able to play in a proper game. Hard to find form if you are playing in scrimmages.

Some of our young blokes dont look ready but hopefully in time a few of them will develop into handy players. We have gone all in getting Kelly and while Nic Nat has a few years left we are a chance. Could be a gaping hole left in about 3 years when Nic Nat, Shuey, Hurn, Jetta, Redden, are all finished and our other guns are 30 plus, lets hope we can win at least 1 more before that happens
That is our biggest challenge coming up. Likely we will have to drop for a few season to draft some gun mids. We should be OK given we already have our young KPP developing.

Q1 Nic & stoppage connection Gifs:

Q1 Bonus Gifs:

Nic and Ryan spoilers BT level.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Was an odd choice by them to put Coffield on to JD. JD dominated but those two goals could have been a lot more if we had a decent midfield at hand.

This here shows what Brayshaw can offer. Not many blokes on our list who could ride that tackle and get the handball out, let alone from our younger cohort. Strength.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
This here shows what Brayshaw can offer. Not many blokes on our list who could ride that tackle and get the handball out, let alone from our younger cohort. Strength.
Ah Chee is usually good at that, but with him out we needed some extra hardness. Hammer got in there, which is a positive.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Watched the replay and found the 3rd quarter oddly one of the more interesting quarters even though no team could hit the scoreboard properly. Just a real struggle in both directions.

Oscar Allen can stick some strong tackles, may not be quick but players who try break his tackles often fail.

Jackson Nelson played a great game after 3 quarter time, did a mountain of running and had some really good touches off the ground.

Ainsworth can forge a career, he is good in traffic, understands when to tap the ball out, can tackle and I think if he wasn't tagging he could find the ball as a distributor similar to Redden, but with a worse kick. Both are good handballers and movers through traffic. He was on Jones the entire game though, the move wasn't made at quarter time. However a handful of Jones' first quarter touches came at centre bounces, which Ainsworth didn't line up at.

Duggan goes hard, big tackles, gets in front of his man at clearances and pushes back to leave the ball drop for the other mids as well.

Petruccelle went hard when it was his turn, would like to see him do a bit more but it was his first game back.

Barrass is very fast in a straight line. He was possibly BOG, if not for Kelly being so good. Game was dominated by him in the sky, he gets right up on packs and kills the ball with perfect timing. Then when it starts to rain, he just clunks two intercept marks like it's nothing.

Ryan was like Pendlebury in the way he feigned to handball and made the seas part, loves to look for Kelly and vice versa.

Jiggyman

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Q3 Nic & stoppage connection Gifs (Q1 & Q2 above same page):

Nic1.gif
nickelly2.gif
nic3.gif
nic4.gif
NicSchoey2.gif

Q3 Bonus Gifs:

ainsworthryan2.gif
kelly1.gif
ainsworthkelly2.gif
Ryan1.gif
ryan2.gif
ryan3.gif
Shep1.gif
TB1.gif
TB2.gif
team1.gif
team2.gif
team3.gif
team4.gif

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
I just want to see Brander a) going harder at the contest and b) kicking goals. A tall wingman should be slotting at least once every couple of games.
Yeah, I agree with this.

There was a moment, I think it was against Richmond, where the ball was kicked into the pocket near the behind post and he was running back with the flight a bit and although there was no one coming the other way he just didn't go hard enough for it and it hit the deck and bounced out. So that kind of covers both the areas you mentioned. The TV cut to Simmo and he looked pretty ropeable about it.

Yeah, I agree with this.

There was a moment, I think it was against Richmond, where the ball was kicked into the pocket near the behind post and he was running back with the flight a bit and although there was no one coming the other way he just didn't go hard enough for it and it hit the deck and bounced out. So that kind of covers both the areas you mentioned. The TV cut to Simmo and he looked pretty ropeable about it.
I think we should make getting Brander his first goal (ideally a couple) a bit of a team priority against the Roos. If he starts believing more in himself and putting it together he’ll be an important first team player in 2021.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back