Review Positives & Negatives V Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we should make getting Brander his first goal (ideally a couple) a bit of a team priority against the Roos. If he starts believing more in himself and putting it together he’ll be an important first team player in 2021.

The problem is, hardness just isn't something you can teach.

Brander reminds me a hell of a lot of this other guy that was drafted many years ago: tall, fast, dominated at junior level and was marked for great things. "When he fills out, he will be amazing". Only he didnt quite. And then his lack of hardness became apparent and even though he played a lot of games, he went nowhere near projected expectations. He too was selected an awful lot because of "potential".

His name: Jack Watts

Brander reminds me a hell of a lot of this other guy that was drafted many years ago: tall, fast, dominated at junior level and was marked for great things. "When he fills out, he will be amazing". Only he didnt quite. And then his lack of hardness became apparent and even tbough he played a lot of games, he went nowhere near projected expectations. He too was selected and awful lot because of "potential".

Thinking more Jarrod Grant.

Brander reminds me a hell of a lot of this other guy that was drafted many years ago: tall, fast, dominated at junior level and was marked for great things. "When he fills out, he will be amazing". Only he didnt quite. And then his lack of hardness became apparent and even though he played a lot of games, he went nowhere near projected expectations. He too was selected an awful lot because of "potential".

Thinking more Jarrod Grant.

Going the early crow I think.

He just played his 10th AFL game.

Lots to work on, lots to work with.

Not every player will be a gun from their first game, many will take time to adapt to AFL standard.

West Coast don't get too many wrong when it comes to judging talls.

When you have a young player, it's so easy to just say "x is not going to make it because y".

People were saying Duggan won't make it, Nelson won't make it, or Jetta's career was effectively dead on arrival at West Coast.

Writing off players is easy to do. It's not interesting, and it's not insightful.

Not every player will be a gun from their first game, many will take time to adapt to AFL standard.

When you have a young player, it's so easy to just say "x is not going to make it because y".

People were saying Duggan won't make it, Nelson won't make it, or Jetta's career was effectively dead on arrival at West Coast.

Writing off players is easy to do. It's not interesting, and it's not insightful.

True.

But WC never get it wrong and try pigeon hole talls around the ground ( Except that 2016 finals with Brown..).

You are right we are going early but i guess he at least getting some games into him but when it comes to finals he really shouldn't be getting a game on a wing when we have better options to do so.

Whatever happens this year at least the club has debuted a lot of players and given them a crack.

Duggan showed a lot during his first year but after his knee injury he was pretty average till 2017 when moved to a back flank. Neslon showed plenty also but always got injured mid year.

Q4 Nic & stoppage connection Gifs (Q1, Q2 & Q3 on page 11):

Q4 Bonus Gifs:

I think we should make getting Brander his first goal (ideally a couple) a bit of a team priority against the Roos. If he starts believing more in himself and putting it together he’ll be an important first team player in 2021.
He had a couple of chances against the Saints. There was one occassion where Hammer kicked it to him on a lead in the 50 and he dropped the mark. Gaff also marked the ball just in front of him on a lead. Then he had another go from the 50 on the boundary and it almost went through for a behind IIRC.

Hes getting there - keep playing him and he will improve before our eyes. I agree with you, a goal would be a massive boost to his self-belief at this level.

Q4 Nic & stoppage connection Gifs (Q1, Q2 & Q3 on page 11):
And you're probably being a bit harsh on him here! Brander should've marked that.

Great gifs by the way, I really appreciate your work.

And you're probably being a bit harsh on him here! Brander should've marked that.

Great gifs by the way, I really appreciate your work.
Probably, but the kick floated a little and dropped quickly. Game was getting a bit wet by that stage, won't hang it on Brander too much for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This highlights just how good Ryan could be and how he’s more than just a forward. A lot of players wouldnt have that presence of mind to lunge forward to create momentum whilst picking up the ball. Sheed for example would most likely have tried to hold his ground and shrug Hill off, which IMO would have resulted in a stoppage or HTB.

Ryan spent his development years presumably not having to do this sort of thing very often, instead relying on his aerial prowess, yet shows natural ground ball nous that needs to be exploited further up the field more often IMO
nicryan6-gif.960550

This is the s**t we need more of to win games that aren’t all on our terms IMO. Turning a scrappy ground ball into a clearance through smarts and intensity

Watching Ryan in 2018 i never thought he could play up to this standard of footy. yes he had the freaky athleticism and was a neat user of the ball but i never really rated his footy IQ. Genuinely thought Willi's footy nous complemented Ryan. Ryan's foot skills have improved a tad but it's his vision and decision making that make some of his disposals look like genuine eye candy. Feel like we are not too far off from from seeing some massive games from him.

On a side not, I hope Ryan's breakout year is some sort of motivation for Rioli.

I agree a bit with Willy on this one. I can definitely see the potential and I thought some of the ??s over his hardness early on were just a bit of noise. However watching him a bit more in recent games he certainly is very tentative. If that is a confidence thing then it can be rectified, if it is a courage issue, then that is not something that can be fixed or taught. If he is to play in a Key position he has to be able to attack the ball and the man without fear. I hope it is just confidence but Ill guess we will see.

In all seriousness, the best thing Brander could do for himself in the off season (other then adding some muscle) is some kind of physical sport where he is a) having to sustain constant physical contact and b) possibly getting hit. He needs to lose that fear of heavy, hard physical contact, and quickly.

Boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, Brazilian jujitsu would all be excellent options.

If he doesn't, you end up with a kid with all the physical gifts, but none of the hardness. A guy who can look the goods in open space, but absolutely goes to water in a contested ball situation.

Hence my Jack Watts V2.0 comparison above.

In all seriousness, the best thing Brander could do for himself in the off season (other then adding some muscle) is some kind of physical sport where he is a) having to sustain constant physical contact and b) possibly getting hit. He needs to lose that fear of heavy, hard physical contact, and quickly.

Boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, Brazilian jujitsu would all be excellent options.

If he doesn't, you end up with a kid with all the physical gifts, but none of the hardness. A guy who can look the goods in open space, but absolutely goes to water in a contested ball situation.

Hence my Jack Watts V2.0 comparison above.
Lamb was Watts 2.0. Brander is Watts 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back