Review Positives & Negatives v the Purples // Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I don't know why the commentators didn't point that out. Both arms pinned then ground into the turf = dangerous tackle every day of the week. A bit of a miscalculation and Cameron's head hits the turf hard with him and the tackler's weight behind him, with nothing to help him brace for impact.

Eastcoasteagle

Premiership Player
Oct 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Yeah I don't know why the commentators didn't point that out. Both arms pinned = dangerous tackle every day of the week. A bit of a miscalculation and Cameron's head hits the turf hard with him and the tackler's weight behind him, with nothing to help him brace for impact.
Bang on, as soon as you chicken wing someone it's dangerous tackle, free kick. You can't brace your fall, if he hits his head and lights out - we miss 4 scintillating goals, Cameron misses out on a rising star award and possibly misses another week.
I actually think the ump played the free kick for Ryan pushing his arm even further up after slinging him, could pop his shoulder doing that. Pav almost cried, such a flog.

Had the pleasure of being at the game to see it live, was a ruthless dismantling of the Purples and was beautiful.

So much for the we never leave early mantra, some started filing out at half time and it was a steady stream for the rest of the game.

Benji85

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Didn’t watch the game live but instead settled down to watch a replay with a few beers and a pizza safe in the knowledge we gave them a belting

Strangely it didn’t seem like a 15 goal win or at least we didn’t look as dominant as a 91 point margin would suggest. Have a look at the basic stats, especially the inside 50’s, and it’s hard to fathom a 122-31 score line

Stats can lie

Raw numbers can’t convey efficiency, quality or bang for your buck. We scored 19 goals from 50 forward entries whilst Fremantle managed just 2 from 60. That’s as lopsided as you’re ever going to get. Sure freo’s inaccuracy played a part but they failed to get the ball to dangerous places or to their forwards advantage whereas we seemed likely to score every time

What’s most pleasing is the amount of improvement we still have from that game.

Our mids as a collective were solid but I’ve seen that group play better
Forwards took their chances but Rioli and Ryan in particular have done more over 4 quarters. Darling has another gear and JK didn’t even play
Our backs were outstanding though - they all played their role and were completely dominant
Oh and Naitanui is only two games into his comeback and will get better

We also have a pretty level headed bloke guiding the ship

Couldn't agree more, if you actually look at the majority of their forward entries, they were barely top of the arc type stuff or blazing down the wing with reckless abandon. So few entries went deep, or anywhere near the top of the goal square so they could be bought to ground. When they needed it to be bought to ground in those very few occasions Sandi was off peddling his little bike and Lobb up the other end of the ground being a high half-back.

F50 entries vs quality F50 entries is night and day, it's such a broad and simplistic stat but its used as THE metric for team dominance when, in the era of 6-6-6, I think it's worth less that it's ever been. That's not to say it's worthless but it's a pretty plain stat comparatively.

The Stid

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins
Positives:
+ Ah Chee has a solid game for a late in. Probably goes out next week but might stay if the club feel Ollen could use a rest.
+ Hickey up forward with no JK worked, he’s surprised me this year, been good. Still miss Slyce though.
+ NN, absolutely tore the game apart in the 2nd. I’ve missed Naitanui2Shuey
+ Unearthing another small forward. Every line now causes headaches for the opposition. Love Cameron’s energy and really loved seeing him telling the Freo ferals to be quiet.
+ Jacko has been good since coming back in. Saw him start to lower the eyes a bit more coming out of the D50 and looks more composed at this level.
+ Shitkowski giving it to Hurn after kicking it out on the full in the first and then going on to have bad game.
+ Showing Freo how it’s done, again.
+ Sheppy, AA. Get. Him. A. Medal. Lads.
+ Barrass back.
+ Hearing the ferals booing Gaff 35 times, just gradually got quieter after half time as they all headed for the train station.
+ Freo best side in WA.

Negatives:
- Walters, being a s**t campaigner all game, flopping and diving. He’s a great player, needs to get that out of his game. And the tough guy acts where he shakes his head and points.
- Letting them kick 2 goals.
- Flyin’ injury? Looked to have hurt his lower leg in the 2nd IIRC, tried to stay out of contests after that. Obviously played out the game so he should be ok.
- Rioli has put on weight again. Need him to drop those kilos before finals.

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Couldn't agree more, if you actually look at the majority of their forward entries, they were barely top of the arc type stuff or blazing down the wing with reckless abandon. So few entries went deep, or anywhere near the top of the goal square so they could be bought to ground. When they needed it to be bought to ground in those very few occasions Sandi was off peddling his little bike and Lobb up the other end of the ground being a high half-back.

F50 entries vs quality F50 entries is night and day, it's such a broad and simplistic stat but its used as THE metric for team dominance when, in the era of 6-6-6, I think it's worth less that it's ever been. That's not to say it's worthless but it's a pretty plain stat comparatively.

I reckon we had at least 20+ intercept marks in our back 50 or so. I suspect Freo's most popular forward target was Mcgovern.

Nov 15, 2013
Here
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yes
The reason Masten got more pill is because of Hutchings being out. Quite obvious one would think.

For best structure.
Masten & AhChee right now is Hutchings & Petruccelle

Oscar Allen is JK now that Nicholas Naitanui has returned in a duel ruck combo with Hickey.

Positives is we have a healthy list.
+ your first intelligent post

flylikeaneagle

All Australian
Jun 4, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm sure when the wheel turns and it's your team's turn to struggle you'll pretend to support another team coz you're weak as piss

Whenever I see a 35+ year old freo fan, I always wonder where the hell they came from. Didn't follow footy before 95? Ditched another team? I find it very hard to make a case for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doashuey

Premiership Player
Sep 13, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Regarding the high-pants photo...

What is with the Ryan and Jetta hand signals?

And Cameron is clearly still feeling it ;)

"Thats Gold"
A segment from the NRL footy show from years ago where people would send in photos of themselves, usually with RL stars and gving the "Thats Gold" thumbs.
Obviously some of the baggage Jetts brought with him from his Sydney days.

Brave Sir Robin

Cancelled
Jun 27, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think Rioli is noticeably bigger than last year. He didn't exactly look thin in 2018 either. I reckon people are seeing him get a bit less involved and looking gassed in the 1st quarter and assuming it's because of his weight.

He's coming from a decent layoff so he just needs to get the run back in his legs.

Sep 8, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah I don't know why the commentators didn't point that out. Both arms pinned then ground into the turf = dangerous tackle every day of the week. A bit of a miscalculation and Cameron's head hits the turf hard with him and the tackler's weight behind him, with nothing to help him brace for impact.
I noticed quite a lot of chicken wings this weekend. North were doing them, Freo were and quite a few in the GWS Brisbane game

I don't think Rioli is noticeably bigger than last year. He didn't exactly look thin in 2018 either. I reckon people are seeing him get a bit less involved and looking gassed in the 1st quarter and assuming it's because of his weight.

He's coming from a decent layoff so he just needs to get the run back in his legs.

Trying to be helpful, I would suggest you make an appointment to get the eyes tested. ;)

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
I am loving the way our indigenous boys are going about their work in the forward line, and that's taking into account Rioli has been off the boil over these 2 weeks.

It gives us a fleet footed dynamic we haven't had in a very long time

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Had the pleasure of being at the game to see it live, was a ruthless dismantling of the Purples and was beautiful.

So much for the we never leave early mantra, some started filing out at half time and it was a steady stream for the rest of the game.

I heard Transperth had to scramble to put on extra trains early. No joke.

Back