Review Positives & Negatives v the Purples // Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

shooshka

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Couldn't agree more, if you actually look at the majority of their forward entries, they were barely top of the arc type stuff or blazing down the wing with reckless abandon. So few entries went deep, or anywhere near the top of the goal square so they could be bought to ground. When they needed it to be bought to ground in those very few occasions Sandi was off peddling his little bike and Lobb up the other end of the ground being a high half-back.

F50 entries vs quality F50 entries is night and day, it's such a broad and simplistic stat but its used as THE metric for team dominance when, in the era of 6-6-6, I think it's worth less that it's ever been. That's not to say it's worthless but it's a pretty plain stat comparatively.

On one of the footy shows yesterday they said something along the lines of 'freo's i50 number was inflated due to the number of points and kick-ins'

This may be a stupid question, but if you kick a point (counts as an i50 obviously) then the player kicking out plays on (which is pretty much every time now) - is that counted as an additional i50? I wouldn't have thought so (as the ball hasn't left the 50m arc area) - but the commentary yesterday indicates maybe it is?

Our yellow jumper is so unflattering to anyone without the perfect washboard stomach, doubly so when it's wet. Anyone carrying slightly extra weight around the middle looks pregnant in the peril.

No wonder why Barras and McGovern pulled their pants up so high, they were trying to cover their guts :p

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
No wonder why Barras and McGovern pulled their pants up so high, they were trying to cover their guts :p

You joke but Mcgovern might have a reason too....

Is it just me or has our team got a bit of chublo around the waist? I know some of it is from long injury layoffs but Barrass looks like a mountain and he had a foot injury so its not everyone.

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Just finished the recorded game. That was alright.

+ All of it. Hahahaha. Jarrod Cameron kicked as many goals in one minute as Freo did in a whole game.
+ Nic Nat, towelled everyone up. He’s back
+ Cameron, love it. Cripps, love it. Ryan was great
+ TB slotted in like a dream. Elite intercepting defence.
+ Masten’s best game of the year. Still not sold but to his credit did well.
+ Redden is an angry bastard and called Walters on his flailing. Cop it.
+ Ah Chee did four fifths of fu** all, but I can get around him flying for MOTY every two minutes.
+ I don’t think the rain is a hoodoo anymore. Crows, Hawks, Dockers. West Coast Shakiras - wherever, whenever.
+ Seems redundant pointing out individual s**t really. Great game all round.
+ Onya Shep.

- Didn’t win by 100.
- Didn’t award Gaff the medal, piss poor missed opportunity.
Agreed 100% so what happens with Petch? and Hutch when fit? who goes out?

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Underrated positive- Hickey's two goals. I don't know where the idea that he's weak as a resting forward came from. He's a decent contested mark and a clearance beast down there.
Man Hickey has been excellent so far toughs it out, takes a good mark, kicks goals, gets his hands dirty. Averages 13 touches, 6 clearances and 3 marks a game. Does his job

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers

Jarrod Cameron is an absolute keeper.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Check out the replay of Cameron's 4th goal, the one after Nic dives to make a block, gets up and dives again to knock it forward. He sees Cameron kick the goal and is madly clapping (to himself) as he runs back to the centre to take the next bounce.

Pav mentioned on the commentary that Nic was doing something similar (getting very excited) by his tap to Shuey in the 2nd quarter.

Reckon he's absolutely loving being back amongst it...

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah given how easy and relaxed we all are here on the Eagles board, venturing to other boards is the worst. Full of soft utensils
Yep i got banned from the North Board for telling them to back off Simmo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Positives:
+ Ah Chee has a solid game for a late in. Probably goes out next week but might stay if the club feel Ollen could use a rest.
+ Hickey up forward with no JK worked, he’s surprised me this year, been good. Still miss Slyce though.
+ NN, absolutely tore the game apart in the 2nd. I’ve missed Naitanui2Shuey
+ Unearthing another small forward. Every line now causes headaches for the opposition. Love Cameron’s energy and really loved seeing him telling the Freo ferals to be quiet.
+ Jacko has been good since coming back in. Saw him start to lower the eyes a bit more coming out of the D50 and looks more composed at this level.
+ s**tkowski giving it to Hurn after kicking it out on the full in the first and then going on to have bad game.
+ Showing Freo how it’s done, again.
+ Sheppy, AA. Get. Him. A. Medal. Lads.
+ Barrass back.
+ Hearing the ferals booing Gaff 35 times, just gradually got quieter after half time as they all headed for the train station.
+ Freo best side in WA.

Negatives:
- Walters, being a s**t campaigner all game, flopping and diving. He’s a great player, needs to get that out of his game. And the tough guy acts where he shakes his head and points.
- Letting them kick 2 goals.
- Flyin’ injury? Looked to have hurt his lower leg in the 2nd IIRC, tried to stay out of contests after that. Obviously played out the game so he should be ok.
- Rioli has put on weight again. Need him to drop those kilos before finals.
I saw Ryan was a bit flat after quarter time. Also two back to back games in the wet. Could rest him?

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Then there's still Waterman, Schofield, Rotham, Venables, Smith, Vardy to consider as well. So impressed with our squad depth atm.
None of those guys are best 22. Venables would have been half a chance but is now probably behind Petruccelle and Cameron. Will be very interesting to see whether there's still a scenario that involves us picking McGovern, Barrass and Schofield.

Our best 22 is the team that beat Freo, with JK and Hutchings coming in, probably for Ah Chee and Cameron. Maybe Cole for Nelson too but not sure. It's really only 1-2 spots now that are debatable.

Last edited:

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
None of those guys are best 22. Venables would have been half a chance but is now probably behind Petruccelle and Cameron.

Our best 22 is the team that beat Freo, with JK and Hutchings coming in, probably for Ah Chee and Cameron. Maybe Cole for Nelson too but not sure. It's really only 1-2 spots now that are debatable.
Hutch for Masten. That’s not a knock on Masten as he showed he’s more than serviceable when he’s on.. but I like the forwards mix at the moment and Hutch/Masten should be fighting it out for that final midfield spot depending on whether a tag is required. But yeah agree that there’s only a couple of spots up for grabs and pairs of guys pushing for them Nelson/Cole, Petch/Cameron and Masten/Hutch/possibly AhChee.

06Premiers

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Lakers
None of those guys are best 22. Venables would have been half a chance but is now probably behind Petruccelle and Cameron. Will be very interesting to see whether there's still a scenario that involves us picking McGovern, Barrass and Schofield.

Ok Buzz Killington.

Was just pointing out that we have good depth in the squad.
I'd be comfortable if any of those 6 came in due to form, injuries or suspensions.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok Buzz Killington.

Was just pointing out that we have good depth in the squad.
I'd be comfortable if any of those 6 came in due to form, injuries or suspensions.
Indeed, the depth is good. But I also think we have a pretty good idea of our best side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back