Review Positives & Negatives v the Purples // Rd 16, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe fined $2k for hitting Yeo to the back of the head

Ryan fined $1k for his dangerous tackle on Cameron. No sanction for Duggan’s “That was worse” tackle on McCarthy. Haha Pavlich you muppet

Duggan was fined $2k for making Fyfe his bitch though - can’t remember the incident tbh and no footage of it on the AFL site

Ryan fined $1k for his dangerous tackle on Cameron. No sanction for Duggan’s “That was worse” tackle on McCarthy. Haha Pavlich you muppet

Duggan was fined $2k for making Fyfe his bitch though - can’t remember the incident tbh and no footage of it on the AFL site

Bumped him off the ball and Fyfe crumbled. Wasn’t high from the zoomed in footage they showed on Fox, obviously didn’t lead to an injury, fair bump play on.

Yeh, Cameron was chicken-winged. McCarthy did bump his head fairly hard, but it wasn't malicious or with intent-seemed a fair tackle, which is a tough gig in the wet.
Fyfe on Yeo-was that the long arm/ear massage or another one..because they called Yeo as doing something to Fyfe behind play?

Positives:

Three consecutive games into Cameron

AhChee looked Ok

JK got a rest. Matches my grand strategic plan.

Barrass and McGovern looked like a pair of lions roaming around the back half

Masten kicked a goal in his last game

Shepard has exceeded Guy McKennas reputation of surgical half back

Liam Ryan has proved he only needs to play one pressure quarter and then watch us win

Cripps continues to make St Kilda list management look only slightly better than the Flockers

NN just lights up our fading memories and it’s seven years ago and nothing has changed

The Eagles looked like a team. A solid composed team. First quarter our best for a few rounds. We held up a hyper active Flockers and worked them over with discipline

By accident we have A grade seat updates to watch the same team flog the black and white turkeys on Friday. JK in I hope but can’t figure out who to drop. I sort of like AhChee in. Don’t drop Cameron!! 👍

I gotta admit that i wasn't a huge fan of Sneeze inclusion over the weekend. That said he played a very good HFF. 15 touches, 7 marks, 1 goal and 9 cp's is good.

I assumed there'd be melts galore on the Freo board but they're starting to Stockholm Syndrome their way around Saturday's loss. Here is a non ironic post from a rusted on Freo fan.

There were a few positives that came out of this.

-We kicked 2 goals. Better than out 1.7.13 back in 2009 vs the crows.

-we didnt get pumped by 100 points.

- It took us 16 rounds to finally get pumped by 50 points or more this season.

- I doubt freo will lose every game From now until the end of this season. Freo have 2 winnable home games vs Swans and Bombers. the 2 away games i also find winnable are the dogs and saints both at Docklands.

I assumed there'd be melts galore on the Freo board but they're starting to Stockholm Syndrome their way around Saturday's loss. Here is a non ironic post from a rusted on Freo fan.
Why stop there? I presume they didn't get hit by a train, they weren't attacked by poisonous snakes and an asteroid didn't obliterate the Earth. Sure was a great weekend for Freo!

Team didn't spontaneously combust :thumbsu:
Most of best 22 have mastered the art of breathing and walking simultaneously :thumbsu:
Terrible performances -> season over sooner -> reduced Freo merchandise sale starts sooner :thumbsu:

Sounds like the Maniac of Freo variety. Keeps on harping on about these facts he discovered all by himself to excuse three years of awful football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ spanking a team I hate , even if it did get boring and even Eagle fans left the game early . Only reason i left early was because my daughters boyfriend is a docker supporter and it was upsetting for him to sit in the cold . I felt sorry for my daughter feeling sorry for him . Anyway got home a tad earlier and watched the replay . Pav didnt see a free kick for a chicken wing that ended up a big fine told the story of what a knob he is . Waffling about i50s and inaccuracy . The only reason it got up their end is cos 2 umpires in green run it up to the centre for them after its been down our end .

Watching the replay because I can and it makes me laugh listening to Pav

Back 6 - I honestly think we have the best back 6 in the league. Hurn, Shep, Gov and Barrass are all AA level defenders, I'd say the three talls would all be in the top 10 intercept markers in the game (not on numbers perhaps as they have to share it but on ability). Shep this year has really upped his ratio of marks to spoils. Then you have Jetta's ball use, the toughness of Duggan/Cole/Nelson. It's a really good balance.

Sheed - Rare footage of him hitting top speed with 17:13 on the clock in the second, can move ok if he needs to :p Honestly love his confidence now, he like to view the field if he has space to get the best option but also knows when he's hot and has to dispose quickly.

Tap ons - Feel like we did so much better with this in the wet this week compared to the Hawks game where it may have been overused.

Masten - Got caught once but also caught others HTB and did some really nice things. Hope he steps up in the weeks to come without Hutch playing he's expected to get a few games now to have a decent run at it. Actually handled the wet ball well and tried to give to Hurn and Jetta when he could, but even when he couldn't he disposed of it well.

Shuey / Redden - I love the way they create space around a ground ball, space is time after all in football. They like to overstep a ball, putting their hips into their opponent knocking them over or off the line and then pick up in the one motion allowing a quick handball. Redden is pretty big and Shuey is just solid which helps them do it but they implement it well. Also Shuey must be up there for league leaders in smothers/attempted smothers, he gets one a game I'm sure and put everything he has into touching the ball off the boot, which of course does wonders for intercept marking.

Jetta - The king of handballs. He hits them so well, an underrate skill perhaps that can open a game up. Very one sided with the handballs but doesn't seem to trouble him going inside out in the wet, over his head, hitting people in stride.

Ah Chee - Played a great game linking up the backline with the forwards. If his mantra was to create a contest and bring it to ground he succeeded, but on top of that he had some big leads, clean kicks and kept his feet all night.

Ryan / Rioli - Rioli looks underdone but did get a corkie in the second quarter. Ryan's work ethic is huge, only Cripps runs harder from that forwardline but not many can match Cripps in that area, Ryan is closing in.

Hickey's forward craft - Top notch this game. Created space for Darling to take grabs, putting his frame in the way. Got around to his left before calling for the ball for his first goal, knew where to be to give himself the best opportunity to snap. Not to mention he allows Naitanui to be Naitanui and we don't lose much when one needs a rest.

Late to the party folks but feel like I need to mention the greatest positive to come away from Saturday night - being the fact that Nathan Wilson still is yet to taste victory over us while wearing purple

The commentators mentioned that Fyfe, Walters, Mundy and Sandilands were the only players on the field on Saturday that played in a winning derby iirc.

The commentators mentioned that Fyfe, Walters, Mundy and Sandilands were the only players on the field on Saturday that played in a winning derby iirc.
Yep a quick look at Round 3, 2015 confirms this. Several players are at other clubs, whilst Taberner & S. Hill were out injured Saturday.

No negatives, but a big positive for me is this club continues to make good calls on drafting and player development. They are mixing the kids in with the experienced players and allowing them to learn the game and a winning culture.

At this point we sit 2nd on the ladder after winning the lot last year, i'm first to admit i thought we had a hangover at the start of the year, but when you hear how many players had surgery in the off season sort makes sense why it was a slow start.

Also on Sat night we had 8 players from last years grand final side not playing- Schofield-Cole-Hutch-Lecca-JK- Vardy-Lycett and Venables, yet we have managed to stay up near the top, and give the chumps down the road a lesson on how you keep your club relevant.

No negatives, but a big positive for me is this club continues to make good calls on drafting and player development. They are mixing the kids in with the experienced players and allowing them to learn the game and a winning culture.

Meanwhile our friends down the road are posting tables and lists showing how young their players are if you remove the three oldest players on the weekend and also how they have few in the 50-100 game bracket if you exclude those with 150 games and their average weight is 0.6 kgs less than the competition average and their percentage has improved by on average 3% every year and their first loss by more than 49 points has come later during the year so RTB is doing something right blah blah

Winning is what the game is about - not playing the youth or age-games profiles or analysing how less severe the losses are or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back