Positives & Negatives vs Saints

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Actually, all the umpires were throwing it up because they had put a new strip of turf in the centre circle. Typical Marvel turf.
Well that's my bad for not noticing at the game as I could've sworn there were a number of centre bounces, so forgive my ignorance.

Also incidentally I have no issue with them abandoning the centre bounce in general as it is so poorly executed.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Midfield balance was perfect, finally. Dropped the right person and pushed everyone into their proper role :heavycheck:

Small forwards Ryan, Petch and Cripps were all very good in different ways :heavycheck:

Another win eked out without Rioli, Nicnat and Barrass :heavycheck:

Venables doing some very classy things. Nice performance from the young man, rarely has his tackles broken :heavycheck:

Darling and Kennedy in the first half in particular were shocking. Kennedy had a good 90 seconds and Darling lifted but their overall game was shizen :crossmark:

Allen managing to mistime his leap in marking contests pretty much all game, even when he's in prime position to mark. Shades of Lycett rucking :crossmark:

I feel like none of the things which made Cole a good player and lock down a spot in 2018 have been on show at all this year :crossmark:

Yeo chipping Ryan 3x about jumping for the ball when he shouldn't. I disagree, i think Ryan's balance is fine. Plenty of times he's 3rd man in with a clear run and SHOULD jump at the football, but it's obviously being beaten out of him. Frustrating :crossmark:

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Midfield balance was perfect, finally. Dropped the right person and pushed everyone into their proper role :heavycheck:

Small forwards Ryan, Petch and Cripps were all very good in different ways :heavycheck:

Another win eked out without Rioli, Nicnat and Barrass :heavycheck:

Venables doing some very classy things. Nice performance from the young man, rarely has his tackles broken :heavycheck:

Darling and Kennedy in the first half in particular were shocking. Kennedy had a good 90 seconds and Darling lifted but their overall game was shizen :crossmark:

Allen managing to mistime his leap in marking contests pretty much all game, even when he's in prime position to mark. Shades of Lycett rucking :crossmark:

I feel like none of the things which made Cole a good player and lock down a spot in 2018 have been on show at all this year :crossmark:

Yeo chipping Ryan 3x about jumping for the ball when he shouldn't. I disagree, i think Ryan's balance is fine. Plenty of times he's 3rd man in with a clear run and SHOULD jump at the football, but it's obviously being beaten out of him. Frustrating :crossmark:
This sums it up well

WCE Wizard

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Positive we got 6 goals from our smalls Cripps, Ryan, Petch and Venners
Allan, JK and Darling kicked 5
Midfield looks sharp without Masten and allows us to play 7 forwards. Midfield of Yeo, Sheed, Gaff, Redden, Shuey, Hutch is perfect

- 1.8 in the last quarter really we should have flogged them
- second quarter we played some dumb footy

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 25 Bounces

Gaff 23 (13w, 10i)
Hutchings 23 wing
Redden 21 (3w)
Shuey 20 (1w)
Yeo 20 (2w)
Sheed 15 (10i, 5w)
Waterman 2 wing
Cripps 1 wing

Rucks:

Vardy 24
O.Allen 1

1st Half - 10

Gaff 9 (5i, 4w)
Sheed 9 (5i, 4w)
Hutchings 8 wing
Yeo 8 (1w)
Redden 7 (1w)
Shuey 7
Waterman 2 wing

Vardy 10

2nd Half - 17

Hutchings 15 wing
Gaff 14 (9w, 5i)
Redden 14 (2w)
Shuey 13 (1w)
Yeo 12 (1w)
Sheed 6 (1w)
Cripps 1 wing

Vardy 16
O.Allen 1

Notes:

- Waterman's midfield debut in an analysed game.
- Sheed only had 1 appearance in the final term

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Most has been said already. My main observations were
- our backwards and sideways movement is starting to hurt us. Often puts us in a worse spot than we start off with.
- Kennedy when the ball is dropped on his head. He can't get any hand on the ball to at least bring it to ground.
+ the small forwards all fired.
+ Sheed while not always having the best disposal was a machine on the inside. Had a bit of Cunnington about him

Big obvious elephant in the room is Vardy :elephant:

Said it last week and unfortunately did nothing to change the opinion that his form in 2019 is simply not AFL standard.

He's had 7 games to turn things around but he's just not good enough to be playing that role right now.

"Better" performance against a makeshift rookie ruckman who has only played 19 games in Marshall, but was still probably beaten to be honest.

Shudder to think what Gawn would do to him on Friday night if Hickey isn't back.

Aug 27, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Royals & Subi
Other than the differences in the voice and that she's easy on the eye, I saw no difference. Doing her job.

She gave us some soft free kicks. Technically correct but on the softer side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surfstitch

Senior List
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Far from perfect, but it remains a good victory.

Positives:
  • Some very good signs during the second half - despite St Kilda trying to get players quickly behind the ball the team was able to transition from defence into attack efficiently.
  • Duggan fulfilled the aerobic sweeper "Masten" role without the world coming an end and got over 20 disposals and 360 metres gained as well.
  • Ryan was immense - 17 disposals (10 contested), 6 marks (3 contested), 3 clearances, 420 metres gained, 10 score involvements, 1.4 goals. I keep forgetting that he is 22 in just his 21st game. His ceiling is ridiculous. Showed tonight that he is fully capable of playing the role vacated by Lecras.
  • Cripps lead all players on the ground with 13 contested possessions. He had more rebounds from defensive 50 than inside attacking 50 entries, yet still had 7 score involvements, including 2 goals. Since 2014, he had just a single 15+ disposal match with more handballs than kicks until last week - and he has done it again this week. Indeed this is the first time in his entire career that he has had double figure handball totals in consecutive weeks. Watch this space - Cripps could have a new role that is a lot more midfield orientated.
  • Venables had a career-best game playing higher up the ground - more than half of his 15 possessions were contested. Showed his ability overhead that will make him an exceptionally difficult matchup when he fills out into the 90kg range.
  • Old Gaff is back and new Sheed is back - in the same team. Gaff 30 disposals (just 5 contested) at 80% efficiency, and 452 metres gained. Sheed 28 disposals (12 contested), 6 clearances and a goal. Tick. Tick.
  • Shuey 27 disposals (12 contested), 7 clearances, 89% disposal efficiency, 6 inside 50s, 9 score involvements. Tick.
  • Yeo 23 disposals (13 contested), 6 clearances, 6 tackles, 5 inside 50s, 501 metres gained. Looks on the brink of absolutely destroying a game very soon.
  • 37% of our clearances resulted in scoring shots - that is a very high number and a testament to our midfield group, considering Vardy gave them little to work with from the ruck.
  • McGovern started to show the form that left De Goey in the goal square. Was a one-man wall during the last ten minutes of the game.
  • Hurn and Sheppard remain awesome; 43 disposals (at 89% efficiency) and 18 marks between them.
  • O.Allen continues to make things happen whenever he is involved. From just 9 effective disposals he had 7 score involvements.
  • Kennedy had a burst that reminded everyone of just how good he is.
  • From the outset the game was under control, and remained so throughout the match - even in the last quarter the number of scoring shots was 9-6 in our favour.
  • I expected St Kilda to outrun the selected squad over four quarters but was proven convincingly wrong in that regard.

Negatives:
  • This should have been a 10 goal victory, rather than 3. The team was very wasteful in front of goal.
  • I don't know how Jetta has escaped so much criticism, just 8 disposals and multiple times was guilty of letting opponents get into space behind him far too easily.
  • Vardy is so out of form and confidence that it is hard to believe that this is the same player that gave Grundy a bath during the final quarter of the Grand Final. Even when does win the tap, it more often goes to his team-mates feet rather than their hands or completely misses and goes to the opposition. Is averaging just 6 disposals a game this season from 7 games. Hopefully Hickey will be available next week.
  • Schofield looks cooked, struggling to defend on the lead which used to be his strength. Offered nothing in regard to counteroffence, with just 5 disposals. With Barrass out for the next 3 months, there aren't many alternatives.
  • First half ball movement was far too slow and indirect, which killed any chance of the key forwards from having an impact - Darling and Kennedy combined for just 1 mark and 0.1 on the scoreboard during the first half. [In the second half with more direct ball movement, those figures were 9 marks and 3.2 goals respectively]
  • Hutchings again struggled when he doesn't have a midfield target to shutdown. Think maybe in these situations he should get pushed into attack as a pressure forward more often.
  • Cole likewise is struggling without a lockdown target, looking lost at times zoning off. Needs to get involved more when the team has the ball.
  • I have no idea what role Waterman was deployed in - was it wing, was it forward, was it defence? I'm just going to call it the Brander role for now.
Vardy got promoted after spending the Claremont game in WAFL and being clearly 2nd best ruck and player around the ground to Brooksby. Vardy had 15 HO to 27 and a goal to Brooksy and was missing for 3/4 of the game. Brooksby had 37 HO the next week rucking with a little help from McInnes and Williams the next week against Souths.

Don't discount the desire of the players not winning a premiership to give huge efforts and who desperately want to win this year.

Scofield looked cooked at WAFL in his 2 games but was promoted and Rotham dropped. Rotham is 21, versatile, played well doing whatever he was asked in the two wins against Collingwood and GWS, when the team also played well. Didn't deserve to be dropped and is the future and has huge desire to win. Needs to play.

Edwards is 197cm and being groomed as FB but is very young and still learning. Maybe his time will come sooner than later. Nelson effort can be relied on in defence and has high tackle numbers. However can have huge brain fades which may be because he overcooks or he's always dishing out advice to others at WAFL and may benefit from Hurn telling him just to SU and do his job if he plays up.

Brander has huge potential, but being badly mismanaged so far with the opportunities he's been given. He's a better forward when compared in the practice matches where he was played (and probably a better ruck) than OAllen but don't think forward is his best position. Can kick goals from 60 - 70 m in WAFL, where he has been playing wing. Played back with ability to read the play and intercept in juniors, takes great marks, very clean possession winner below his knees but gets thrown into random positions and not supported in seniors being dropped after single away games against difficult opponents. I wonder if it's because he's unique?

Waterman had two great games in WAFL kicking 5 goals in each but wasn't picked until 4 weeks later after he was injured twice and had only played one game in three weeks. Go figure?

MAllen has played mostly as a big bodied inside mid or high half forward and averaging around 24 disposals, 8 tackles, 7 i50s and a goal in WAFL. He is another that is hungry and wants to win, so don't know what else he needs to do to de but ant! He has Archie covered in effort, tackles, disposals, kicking efficiency and goal accuracy so ...?

WAFL also has a JK replacement in young Bailey "Willo" Williams waiting in the wings if he ever needs a break.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
- tackling pressure is still not good enough when we don’t mark the ball. Way too often we bombed forward from half back, ball hits the ground and our mids/forwards just let the other team run away with it. Not good enough

- incel chat on the board

+ thought Ryan was fantastic

Have a cry twinkle .
Let’s not go down this path

Want to critique the umpires go ahead but gender has nothing to do with ability so leave that discussion for somewhere else

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
- incel chat on the board
Want to critique the umpires go ahead but gender has nothing to do with ability so leave that discussion for somewhere else

Agreed. The f*ck is going on? This is a footy forum FFS.

If you dont like female umpires because you dont believe they can do the job then have the balls to make a new thread on the main board about it or p*ss off back to r/incels.

A good 50% of Bigfooty servers would be dedicated to biased and incompetent umpiring. All anyone does is slag them off and talk about how they’re ruining the game. Suddenly a female umpire gets involved and all of that is forgotten, the other umpires are great, honestly, just get the chick out of here she’s not up to the standard.

You’d just recognise specific decisions as hers more often because it’s easy to. All the male umpires blend together as a bunch of nameless, faceless nobodies, but it’s very easy to identify which frees were given by the female umpire.

It would be the same if an umpire had poroxide blonde hair, everyone would be saying this is the worst umpire in the comp, cause you could much more easily pick out any and every decision.

Play the ball, not the man (as it were). By and large, everyone on this website thinks all umpires are s**t. Don’t pretend like there’s some mythical high standard of umpiring that just happens to not be met by the one female umpire, it’s a very transparent way of getting an unrelated opinion across.

Dec 23, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Exers
- tackling pressure is still not good enough when we don’t mark the ball. Way too often we bombed forward from half back, ball hits the ground and our mids/forwards just let the other team run away with it. Not good enough
This.
The amount of times I watched eagles players stand around after the saints got it out of a contest was unbelievable.
As good as dom Sheed played last night there were many occasions where he just let someone waltz out of a contest and get the ball forward.
He wasn’t the Lone Ranger there but I was keeping an eye on him, hoping that he would make an attempt at a tackle last night.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
This.
The amount of times I watched eagles players stand around after the saints got it out of a contest was unbelievable.
As good as dom Sheed played last night there were many occasions where he just let someone waltz out of a contest and get the ball forward.
He wasn’t the Lone Ranger there but I was keeping an eye on him, hoping that he would make an attempt at a tackle last night.
Yeah he’s been terrible in that regard for a long time. Don’t understand how the coaches allow it

WCE1987

All Australian
Sep 3, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Black Ducks, Scorchers, Rams
Agreed. The f*ck is going on? This is a footy forum FFS.

If you dont like female umpires because you dont believe they can do the job then have the balls to make a new thread on the main board about it or p*ss off back to r/incels.

https://www.facebook.com/IncelsOnAFLWPages/ is great for anti-incel Banter

Now back to the game. We are better without Masten, not a slight on the man, but when he is out it allows others to play in their natural roles. I would like one of our WAFL players to now push out Hutchings, outside of tagging doesnt give us much with skill.

Last edited:
I would like one of the our WAFL players to now push out Hutchings, outside of tagging doesnt give us much with skill.

Agree with this. He’s got runs on the board so no issue with trying it last night, and he’ll obviously be needed this week, but if he’s not tagging and we have a relatively healthy 22, we shouldn’t be playing him as a mid/wing.

Ghossein

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Team Arrogance
+ Ryan doing Ryan things
+ Midfield as a whole I think did pretty well, Yeo seems to be having a decent streak
+ Cripps finding form again
+ Petch continues to develop nicely
+ McGovern's intercepts in the last quarter
+ Venables actually taking the game on now, looking a lot better
+ Allen kicked 2 and makes our ruck dynamic far more versatile

- Kennedy was pretty bad bar a patch of decent form, he just doesn't look fresh at the moment. Given we have a surplus of tall forwards i'm unsure of the logic of continuing to play him instead of just giving him a week to rest.
- 4th quarter, getting the ball locked in our forward half for such a long period of time and only kicking 8 behinds.
- Schofield isn't having a great few weeks and gee I miss Barrass
- Vardy, I watched his game v Claremont and it definitely didn't warrant selection, so if Hickey is fit surely he goes straight back to the 2s.
- Not really sure of the logic of playing Waterman as a high half forward. I understand his WAFL form was fantastic and he didn't have a poor game last night, but I just don't get why you'd go with Waterman for that role over someone like Ah Chee or MAllen.

Luuuc

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats, Perth Lynx
Female or not, I'm a little surprised at there being much criticism of the umpiring in a game where the rub of the green went in our favour the majority of the time.
Embarrassing comments seem to be a theme of the last 24 hours, because the game thread was an absolute cringefest as well.
Hopefully it's out of everyone's system ASAP, coz I like to believe we're better than this.

Feels to me like the team is still building in the positive direction, albeit slowly. Not going to get too carried away because the team we beat last night wasn't the strongest, but all away wins are happily accepted.
Our good players in particular are starting to look more like their usual selves. The bottom 4 or 5 are still a bit of a worry, and still feature many of the same names each week. Wish there was more pressure being applied from the Beagles.

omarlittle1

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
It's the s
A good 50% of Bigfooty servers would be dedicated to biased and incompetent umpiring. All anyone does is slag them off and talk about how they’re ruining the game. Suddenly a female umpire gets involved and all of that is forgotten, the other umpires are great, honestly, just get the chick out of here she’s not up to the standard.

You’d just recognise specific decisions as hers more often because it’s easy to. All the male umpires blend together as a bunch of nameless, faceless nobodies, but it’s very easy to identify which frees were given by the female umpire.

It would be the same if an umpire had poroxide blonde hair, everyone would be saying this is the worst umpire in the comp, cause you could much more easily pick out any and every decision.

Play the ball, not the man (as it were). By and large, everyone on this website thinks all umpires are ****. Don’t pretend like there’s some mythical high standard of umpiring that just happens to not be met by the one female umpire, it’s a very transparent way of getting an unrelated opinion across.
Completlely agree.

It's the same reason Razor Ray stands out, and cops way more criticism than most (fairly deserved too, as i feel he makes it too much about himself). He stands out, so you remember his specific decisions, exactly the same thing with a female umpire. When it's 3 guys (not including Razor) you completely forget which one made which decision.

Back