Positives & Negatives vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Female or not, I'm a little surprised at there being much criticism of the umpiring in a game where the rub of the green went in our favour the majority of the time.
Embarrassing comments seem to be a theme of the last 24 hours, because the game thread was an absolute cringefest as well.
Hopefully it's out of everyone's system ASAP, coz I like to believe we're better than this.

Feels to me like the team is still building in the positive direction, albeit slowly. Not going to get too carried away because the team we beat last night wasn't the strongest, but all away wins are happily accepted.
Our good players in particular are starting to look more like their usual selves. The bottom 4 or 5 are still a bit of a worry, and still feature many of the same names each week. Wish there was more pressure being applied from the Beagles.
I know we got more free kicks, and a couple were 50/50 that went our way (sheed in front of goal comes to mind), but there were a fair few (including a couple that resulted in goals) the other way too. Hurn's throw (if they aren't going to pay it 2mins later for a st kilda open palm upward pass/slap), yeo's high contact for a head clash when tracking the ball.

Also reckon review the cripps 50 with the team. Was tracking a player who went full tilt at a teammate. The player dodged his teammate at the last second, leaving Cripps to either collide or run the other side (50 either way). If that is consistently 50 we should exploit the hell out of it. Pretty easy set play to draw 50m.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Per Footywire, Sheed has laid a total of 8 tackles this season. For comparison, Yeo has 44, Shuey has 35, and perennial whipping boy Masten has 12.

Gaff has 19 off fewer games.
This is why I’m so salty that our recruiting allows him to get a free ride based on lack of other options.

Hope M Allen develops

Also reckon review the cripps 50 with the team. Was tracking a player who went full tilt at a teammate. The player dodged his teammate at the last second, leaving Cripps to either collide or run the other side (50 either way). If that is consistently 50 we should exploit the hell out of it. Pretty easy set play to draw 50m.

It is consistently given, and the first team to implement that is going to feast until they change the interpretation.

So I didn't rate Cripps at all last night. Thought he's been putrid all year.

Yet all the commentators after the game gave him huge wraps.

What did I miss?

I know we got more free kicks, and a couple were 50/50 that went our way (sheed in front of goal comes to mind), but there were a fair few (including a couple that resulted in goals) the other way too. Hurn's throw (if they aren't going to pay it 2mins later for a st kilda open palm upward pass/slap), yeo's high contact for a head clash when tracking the ball.

100%. The hurn throw was unlucky but I can see why it could bepaid. The other 2 were incorrect IMo particularly the Yeo one. If you attack the ball then some mug puts his head in your way then stiff sh1t, play on and learn your lesson.

You get them you white night !

She is a good umpire . Just as good as all the men but you have to be realistic she doesn't bounce the ball high enough at centre bounces not just before tonights game. She should just be allow to throw it up all the time

Your outrage is heartening though any females reading it would love you in their friend zone

So brave.

You know some of us well-adjusted types can actually treat women with respect and still get laid.

Shocking stuff I know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good 50% of Bigfooty servers would be dedicated to biased and incompetent umpiring. All anyone does is slag them off and talk about how they’re ruining the game. Suddenly a female umpire gets involved and all of that is forgotten, the other umpires are great, honestly, just get the chick out of here she’s not up to the standard.

You’d just recognise specific decisions as hers more often because it’s easy to. All the male umpires blend together as a bunch of nameless, faceless nobodies, but it’s very easy to identify which frees were given by the female umpire.

It would be the same if an umpire had poroxide blonde hair, everyone would be saying this is the worst umpire in the comp, cause you could much more easily pick out any and every decision.

Play the ball, not the man (as it were). By and large, everyone on this website thinks all umpires are ****. Don’t pretend like there’s some mythical high standard of umpiring that just happens to not be met by the one female umpire, it’s a very transparent way of getting an unrelated opinion across.

The Freo board is 100% bonkers. Prior to perusing their board, razor was the only ump i knew by name. They have this individualised obsession with umpires.

The tin foil Margetts hate is all time.

Allen is just starting to look comfortable in his role as 3rd tall / ruck pinch hit . He is also looking better in tandem with jk and darling not getting into their space anymore . Why change it ?

Schofield did struggle but bruce was have a day out . Dont know why money bag$ mcgovern gets the lesser defender but schoey has had the best defender each week and battles hard .
Then Cole out, Rotham in.

Phwoar devastating stuff.

I'll bite a little. I just find your sort a little bit sad. It's all a zero sum game. You either have to be an a-hole or you're some beta pushover.

That's depressing.
We are all entitled to an opinion. Im not offended .
I find your sort ' the lefties ' have a victim complex and love to judge people without having all the facts . Just group think rather than making you own judgment especially if it goes against the grain

Sheed is not nimble or quick enough off a meter or two. That's why his tackle numbers suck.
I'd agree with this but you see players like Priddis, JK (swans variety) and Tom Mitchell tackling, they're clearance players as well that are sometimes second to the ball.

Sheed can do way better, it's a mindset thing. It should be said though that his value in the team is obvious regardless of this. It would be great to see him become a rounded footballer, he'd be verging on AA levels.

I think it's also worth stating to some people that Masten in the team was never stopping Gaff and Sheed from playing different roles, a lot of people seem to think he's playing on a wing like the good old days and that Gaff couldn't play on a wing because Masten was in the team.

As for Cripps game, I didn't see the first quarter but what I saw of him he was very composed with the ball in hand. He didn't sell people into trouble just because he felt pressured, he waited for the right options. I think he tackled and pressured like a mad man as well. Great game.

Sheed is not nimble or quick enough off a meter or two. That's why his tackle numbers suck.
Neither was Priddis but that guy loved to tackle. Sheed just sticks out his arm sideways and kind of runs around the guy with the ball. He’s not the only one, loads of our players do.

We were a brilliant tackling side in 2011-2012, in terms of intent, especially in the front half. Wish we went back to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back