Positives & Negatives vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Per Footywire, Sheed has laid a total of 8 tackles this season. For comparison, Yeo has 44, Shuey has 35, and perennial whipping boy Masten has 12.

Gaff has 19 off fewer games.

Speaking as someone who has torn a pec, it never heals right and tackling is about the second worst thing for it. He is gun shy for sure, and add in that he isnt a natural tackler ad thats the result

Speaking as someone who has torn a pec, it never heals right and tackling is about the second worst thing for it. He is gun shy for sure, and add in that he isnt a natural tackler ad thats the result

I'm glad you touched on this. I often wonder about it in-game and forget to bring it up here. Much like LeCras injury I wonder if it does inhibit his ability to tackle? When you think about the movements of a bench press it's not hard to posture that his injury may be holding him back from sticking tackles - or that he is playing within himself to protect it from injuring again.

Unfortunately that doesn't excuse him not running at the ball carrier to put on some pressure. Lecca used to bump, at least. He should endeavour to stay in the contest longer when he doesn't have the ball because others could slow the play and allow him to make an impact.

This game could really have been a blowout in the end. Watching it back, our dominance in the fourth was undermined by terrible accuracy at goal (1.8 with two posters and an out on the full). You can’t just blatantly ignore that, but we really could have kicked out to an eight goal margin pretty easily. First six or seven minutes of Q4 were a bloodbath, just with no return for effort.

As happened last weekend, a win that I had frustrations with at the time has me feeling pretty good a few days after, with the added context of watching a bunch of other ‘good’ teams struggle in a variety of ways over the weekend. I think we’re turning a corner.

This game could really have been a blowout in the end. Watching it back, our dominance in the fourth was undermined by terrible accuracy at goal (1.8 with two posters and an out on the full). You can’t just blatantly ignore that, but we really could have kicked out to an eight goal margin pretty easily. First six or seven minutes of Q4 were a bloodbath, just with no return for effort.

As happened last weekend, a win that I had frustrations with at the time has me feeling pretty good a few days after, with the added context of watching a bunch of other ‘good’ teams struggle in a variety of ways over the weekend. I think we’re turning a corner.

Kinda the same thing with Freo and GC. Eventhough WC only beat Freo by 13 points, they were never really any danger of stealing it in a pretty low scoring game. Convincing for 3.75 quarters against GC who are much improved too.

Geelong pumped us though. I feel like they'll get one back on them at home later in the season.

+ve away win.
-ve was only St Kilda.

+ve heads above water with a 5-3 record.
-ve still have a low percentage of 97 which is the worst of the 5 teams on 5 wins, could've used 8.1 instead of 1.8 in the last.

+ve Darling attacking the footy with more intensity.
-ve forward structure still fecked. 3 or 4 flying for the ball every time.

Kinda the same thing with Freo and GC. Eventhough WC only beat Freo by 13 points, they were never really any danger of stealing it in a pretty low scoring game. Convincing for 3.75 quarters against GC who are much improved too.

Geelong pumped us though. I feel like they'll get one back on them at home later in the season.
Freo were woefully inaccurate which helped us. Gold Coast there was an identifiable point where we switched off.

In the Saints game, however, I thought we were consistently better than them, and just didn't make anything count. We had a flurry of good inside 50s that resulted in nothing, while the Saints got a big rush of goals from only a handful of entries late. If we make a strong statement against Melbourne I'm willing to buy all the way in again.

+ there were a few, most mentioned already.

- we need Bloody %%%%%%% and have had ample opportunities pass us by.
Foot to the throat guys, foot to the throat.

... while the Saints got a big rush of goals from only a handful of entries late. If we make a strong statement against Melbourne I'm willing to buy all the way in again.

Savage, Billings, Kenty from the pocket. Saints kicked some rippers while we were battling to put them in from 35 out on a slight angle.

We are building. Just need to keep chugging away and banking 4 pointers however we can.

Savage, Billings, Kenty from the pocket. Saints kicked some rippers while we were battling to put them in from 35 out on a slight angle.

We are building. Just need to keep chugging away and banking 4 pointers however we can.

Any other week we kick 80% of our easy attempts and the other team sprays their "pull em out of the ass" kicks. In that scenario we're all rejoicing heavily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naturally biased but Kennedy's mark was a beauty. Old school, hard lead, GTFO my way grab by a KPP. Probably Kennedy's best since he near killed that GWS bloke a couple of years back.

WHE courageous but a few sets of hands on it.
Greenwood's not bad but pretty regulation, he had the sit the whole way in.

So I expect WHE will get the round nom.

I think Duggan had an underrated game.
Agree with you there WW.He has been improving.Its very important that we get our little half back thugs on board again.Havnt seen Duggan try to smash anybody this year .Last year he was always lining somebody up.Remember his hit on Cameron.A doozy.

I think Duggan will move into the middle eventually, even if that means it’s a rotation. Tough as nails but he knows how to win a hard ball in congestion.

I’d like to see him play more of that defensive wingmen role as he does have the tools for it with his endurance and two way running.

He can be a bit more cleaner with ball in hand but that can improve with more confidence.

Thinking it over the last couple of days, this game reminds me of some of our early season road victories in 2018 against Carlton, GWS and Hawthorn. None of those three games are particularly memorable but we ground it out and found a non-fuss way to win

We need to find some % at some point though, it is going to be vital at the pointy end.

Rewatched part of the game last night and the highlight for mine was Cripps' goal with 6 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. That whole play was sex. Watch McGovern from the wide angle shot starting at 6:20. Peels off Membrey up the ground looking to cut off a kick that would go to 60m in front. At this point Savage is looking towards go to the Saints left wing. As soon as he plays on around Hutchings McGovern has doubled back into the space where Membrey has led as if he has eyes in the back of his head, affects the spoil, gets the loose ball and the fun begins:

- Yeo with sexy hip time, followed by a left foot kick that hits Darling on the tit.
- Darling kicks back into the middle with Redden in an acre of space.
- Shuey with the overlap, hits Allen on the tit.
- Allen has Duggan out in space and it's all over for the Saints now because there's loose men everywhere and the Saints have no idea who to shut down, Duggan goes for Cripps.
- Cripps seals the deal

Premiership footy.

I thought the negative was a big patch in the 2nd or 3rd quarter where the Saints had too much of the ball in their forward half and were just peppering it inside 50.

We just couldn't get the ball back and regain control.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back