Positives & Negatives vs Saints

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast
Dom Sheed has 8 goals in 8 games so far this season but he's on track to be our first mid to kick 20 goals in a season since boots in 2015.

He needs 4 beats his best in a season. he just a bout our most accurate player in front of goals was really surprised he missed that one on the weekend.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Dom Sheed has 8 goals in 8 games so far this season but he's on track to be our first mid to kick 20 goals in a season since boots in 2015.

He needs 4 beats his best in a season. he just a bout our most accurate player in front of goals was really surprised he missed that one on the weekend.
More tackles less goals and I wouldn’t complain

Fatty rules

Team Captain
Feb 16, 2008
Brussels
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm glad you touched on this. I often wonder about it in-game and forget to bring it up here. Much like LeCras injury I wonder if it does inhibit his ability to tackle? When you think about the movements of a bench press it's not hard to posture that his injury may be holding him back from sticking tackles - or that he is playing within himself to protect it from injuring again.

Unfortunately that doesn't excuse him not running at the ball carrier to put on some pressure. Lecca used to bump, at least. He should endeavour to stay in the contest longer when he doesn't have the ball because others could slow the play and allow him to make an impact.
Agree. I thought it might be shoulders, but pec it could well be. Reminds me a bit of Mat Priddis in some of those moments. I remain a massive Priddis fan, and many teams would sell their grandparents to get Sheed.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If he applied a bit more physical pressure and seagulled less, maybe some of the other mids would be in better positions to get some goals.

He didn’t kick a goal for three weeks during the Freo-Port-Geel sh*tstain period.

Laid 0 tackles vs Port and 1 vs Geel.

When your team is getting smashed in the contests you need your senior mids laying tackles and winning the ball back, goals are a secondary consideration

In the first two games this year, Brad Hill of all people laid more tackles than Sheed has since before the finals series started last year.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
If he applied a bit more physical pressure and seagulled less, maybe some of the other mids would be in better positions to get some goals.

He didn’t kick a goal for three weeks during the Freo-Port-Geel sh*tstain period.

Laid 0 tackles vs Port and 1 vs Geel.

When your team is getting smashed in the contests you need your senior mids laying tackles and winning the ball back, goals are a secondary consideration

In the first two games this year, Brad Hill of all people laid more tackles than Sheed has since before the finals series started last year.

Was Shred getting midfield minutes in those games or was that peak Gaff to the middle, Sheed to the flank?

It's tough to be critical of Sheeds ability to hit the scoreboard in those games when our actual forwards were stinking it up.

Petch was our best through that run and it was predominately on account of using his blistering pace when our structure continued to break down.

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Who are you, Ross Lyon?
wClnMzHiY5uUkisX2Pf6J_8capBZyYi8dz4-5k3MhMfxg4WlD69PhNFIr9BO2g2kMhYWSKTdl-hZ78BdBjnfwyVjVc3LfI6dq5n3McZ5vt_Rna54JWqgy6id3kGmEzc=w320-h180-nc

FKASC

Reid’s Like Copium
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Was Shred getting midfield minutes in those games or was that peak Gaff to the middle, Sheed to the flank?

It's tough to be critical of Sheeds ability to hit the scoreboard in those games when our actual forwards were stinking it up.

Petch was our best through that run and it was predominating on account of using his blistering pace when our structure continued to break down.
Wasn’t critical of his ability to hit the scoreboard, just suggesting that he kicks goals when we are winning but doesn’t tackle when we need him to.

Flankers/outside mids can still put pressure on. Polec has laid more tackles than him and he’s as outside as they come.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Sheed might not tackle much but he is one of few ( Yeo being the other) than can actually shrug a tackle and kick goals. I would that over him getting a couple of tackles a game.
Sheed's quality is obvious, but he can always look to improve. He is in the position to do both multiple times a game and he has the capability to do both. Not at all suggesting he's playing poorly.

jesterwester

Premiership Player
May 1, 2007
Australind
AFL Club
West Coast
The majority of tackles in a match do come in those repeat stoppages. So if Sheed is set up to be the receiver in the stoppage, it’s unlikely he’s going to be the guy that gets the big tackle numbers. It’s not as if he has been a complete liability defensively I don’t think though.

Straight tackle Stats are so ambiguous, though. Attempted tackles/tackle completion % would be a better comparison but we don’t have access to these.

Sheed deserves to get potted on his defensive work.

He sags off his man all the time and is slow to react when the other side comes up with the ball. The Saint's went through Dom's man a bunch of times to get the clearance because he isn't even getting to put pressure on the disposal.

If he can improve in this area he will be a dinky di A grader.

Back