Universal Love Positives of 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Hurley, hooker, baguley, daniher, laverde, Colyer, j merrett.

Mostly zac merrett. Have loved watching him develop this year.

Fletchers 400th was special.

The win against Hawthorn.

The jubilation when we were found not guilty.

Allowing a number of younger and fringe players an extended run of senior games.

Colyer - going to another level. Pre injury was on track for a high finish in the Chricton medal.

Baguley - feel he's gone to another level. Surely he'd be close to an AA squad nomination. Would be a top 10 candidate for the B&F.

Hurley - has taken his role down back with both hands and owned it. Would be one of very few Essendon players in with a chance of AA honours.

Laverde has given us moments, ditto Langford. Browne playing in his first win. Shaun Edwards showing a defensive side to his game.

Zerrett - gun mid in the making.
Laverde - with every second of game time looking a steal. Mid in the making.
Hooker - champion essendon player
Heppell - keeps on busting gut at coal face.
Colyer - getting better.
Baguley - reminds me of our 2000 group.
Daniher - getting stronger and better.
Solid foundation to build on. This side can be turned around quickly

1. Daniher taking his game to the next level with plenty of scope for further improvement.
  2. Z Merrett establishing himself as Essendon's next great midfielder and becoming one of the steals from last years draft.
  3. Fletcher bringing up his 400th and becoming just the second player to play after turning 40.
  4. The form of Hurley and Hooker up back.
  5. Colyer showing that he will be a genuinely valuable player for us over the next 5 to 10 years.

Lloyds work at the club would like him to become a permanent member of our coaching

The clubs media work with getting videos out and especially the VFL stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something I love about Essendon's list, is the fact we have our KPPs sorted. We just need an established ruckman, then all of our young midfielders should click at around the same time, as our slightly older KPPs.

Eg. Daniher, Carlisle, Langford and Laverde will be in their prime at the same time.

Doesn't Lloyd do goal kicking? Not sure how that can be viewed as a positive....

Daniher has improved. His short time with Hooker also improved his routine noticeably. Both Positives

Id like to see what he can do with leading and forward 50 work if given the chance. I think Lloyds got a really good brain for footy and could be an asset.

Our defence

Hurley, Hooker & Baguley are all A grade defenders, Hibberd, Gwilt & Gleeson all more than adequate and our defence is looking rock solid

Z.Merrett & Colyer

Both provide pace around the ball, can break lines and provide much run and carry. Will be important for years to come

Heppell Goddard & Stanton

Have been forced to carry the load while the team has been under huge duress. Well done on doing this alone, all 3 have battled admirably given the circumstances

Young Guns

Laverde Daniher Edwards Langford - all these guys have shown enough to get exited about for 2016 and beyond.

Draft picks

Already getting exited about this - we'll get some good early picks and can clean out some deadwood at the end of the year - hopefully this means an end to all the ASADA/WADA crap and a fresh start for the club. Only 3 games to go after this week, we can then all take a deep breath and look forward to 2016

I could write about the negatives but i'm a glass half full kind of guy, and when the dust settles and with some new blood into the club over the next few years we will push back up the ladder and hopefully take the club back up to where it needs to be.

Go bombers!!

If we can keep Carlisle then our spine is something to look forward to given how Hooker has taken to being in the forward line (and he's no worse than Cloke for his set shots). Hurley - Carlisle - Heppell - Daniher - Hooker is a damn good spine.

Put the right players in the right positions around these guys and things start to look up pretty quickly, assuming the young talent comes on. We already have many of these players like Bags, Hibberd, both Merretts, Stanton, Goddard, Watson, Myers, Colyer, Zaharakis (if he pulls his finger out, we know what he can do), and we can hopefully look forward to seeing much more of Langford, Laverde, Gleeson, Edwards, Fantasia, Browne.

If over the next couple of off seasons we can focus our attention towards replacing the old players that are beyond it or those that simply aren't up to it with youth or a couple of crafty trades, things don't seem so bad. We need to make a significant step this preseason though before the subsequent wave of retirements sees guys like Watson, Stanton and Goddard all drift off into the sunset.

I love looking at the positives. As it has been a very draining season. I know he hasn't played a senior game yet but I would almost throw McKenna into the positives. He has shown a lot for someone who is still very raw and new to the game.

One other thing that's a real positive and shows strong leadership of the club is not letting the "should Hird be sacked" become headlines. They've stuck strong behind him and haven't let it become a story that backs us into a corner (unlike the Scum). Maybe he shouldn't coach us anymore but at least they've stopped that talk until we make the offseason.

The other positive I haven't seen in this thread is Shaun McKernan. When he was drafted I thought he probably wouldn't get a game and only last a year or two at most on the list.

Instead he has been very good in the VFL for the most part and played some reasonable footy before the North game disaster. Granted he will not be our savior or anything but he adds some depth and should be a handy player for a few years to come.

The other positive I haven't seen in this thread is Shaun McKernan. When he was drafted I thought he probably wouldn't get a game and only last a year or two at most on the list.

Instead he has been very good in the VFL for the most part and played some reasonable footy before the North game disaster. Granted he will not be our savior or anything but he adds some depth and should be a handy player for a few years to come.
He is still not out of the woods yet because he will never become a number 1 ruckmen. If I were him I would be learning ASAP how to become a CHF, which I think he can do.

He's the perfect backup ruck IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back