Universal Love Positives of 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Letterman used to do a segment called 'is this anything?'.
This year we've found out that both Merrett's, fantasia, Edwards, Langford, Laverde, McKenna and McKernan are definitely something.

I forgot - Positive: Colyer. I was pretty much right when i (and many others here) said we wouldnt win a game without him.

We've won thrice since Round 3: St Kilda (admittedly a s**t performance, but still), Brisbane and Melbourne.

Brisbane was a good solid performance and the Melbourne win was enjoyable at least.
Unfortunatly those were all teams below us when we played them...
The only team we've beaten that was above us when we played is Hawthorn

We've won thrice since Round 3: St Kilda (admittedly a s**t performance, but still), Brisbane and Melbourne.

Brisbane was a good solid performance and the Melbourne win was enjoyable at least.
We should have lost to St. Kilda, if Melbourne could kick we'd have lost. Brisbane had us done in the first half. We could easily be 3 - 17 or whatever round it is.

Also in 2013 i tipped us to go 16-0 and we went 13-3, and this year I tipped us to go 5-17 and thats what we're going to go. Tip - listen to me

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

We should have lost to St. Kilda, if Melbourne could kick we'd have lost. Brisbane had us done in the first half. We could easily be 3 - 17 or whatever round it is.

Also in 2013 i tipped us to go 16-0 and we went 13-3, and this year I tipped us to go 5-17 and thats what we're going to go. Tip - listen to me

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
We could easily be 3-17. But we're not.

but seriously; Michael Hurley has ARRIVED.

the dominant backman of the comp. it was a crying shame that he didn't get to play on Crameri a few weeks ago. he rag-dolled him last year, kept him goalless. instead we had....... *sigh*..... Steinberg....

2015 should be a springboard into 2016. I'm not convinced 2016 is going to be a better year. Springboard appears to be missing.

Positive is that young guys and fringe players have been given a genuine chance.

Negative is the number of injuries and uncertainty on who will come back playing their best football.

for me its Edwards, Merrett, Fantasia, Daniher, Langford and Laverde. Great combination of size, speed and talent in those 5 going forward.
Disappointed that I can't add Kav (although i believe he should have been given a run this week) or Ashby.

for me its Edwards, Merrett, Fantasia, Daniher, Langford and Laverde. Great combination of size, speed and talent in those 5 going forward.
Disappointed that I can't add Kav (although i believe he should have been given a run this week) or Ashby.

Edwards looks like he'll be a v decent player. Quick, light-footed, good decision making. Did he debut this year?

Edwards looks like he'll be a v decent player. Quick, light-footed, good decision making. Did he debut this year?

For us yes, played about a dozen games for GWS mostly as a sub in 12/13

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positives. The list is not as bad as some would say. Although it needs a bit of a rebuild it is not a huge build. A good ruck and a couple of quick quality midfield players and we have a different look. In all honesty a decent ruck, 2 decent mids with a bit more pace and another tall forward and things are really different.
The plus is we do not need 5 or 6 key planks to start building on. It is not easy but with a bit of luck, a fresh start and some smart moves it can turn around quickly.

This year the draw was split into top 6, middle 6, bottom 6. You played teams from your section more than the other sections.

Its why we didn't play Carlton twice this year.
Don't be surprised if the AFL doesn't give us an easier fixture next year. It is not in their interest to help us out in any way, shape or form. Especially if Hird survives.

019403-9093f1ec-e266-11e4-b60a-424ceb2f883c.jpg

This game and this bloke. I just love how much he gives this club and without his efforts this year I struggle to imagine where we would be.

Carlisle would do well to look at how much this guy loves his footy and what he gives to this club week in, week out. All class.
Can sook all he wants at the Doggies next year imo.

IF they keep that (big if). I'm guessing we will be playing GWS, Carlton, St Kilda, Collingwood and Hawthorn twice. Our interstate trips will be Brisbane, West Coast, Port, Sydney and GC.

Something like that will give us a great springboard to aim for finals.

this is how the FIXture has been constructed the last two years

"In the construction of each year’s fixture, the final ladder will be grouped into the top six teams, middle six teams and bottom six teams with regard to better managing the equality of double match-ups for all clubs the following season.

· Sides ranked 1-6 on the ladder will have a minimum of two double-meetings with other top six sides and a maximum of three meetings with sides ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting of sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides in the 7-12 range. They will have either no double meetings or a maximum of one double meeting with a side ranked 13-18.

· Sides ranked 7-12 on the ladder will have a minimum of one double-meeting with sides ranked 1-6 on the ladder and a maximum of two meetings with sides ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of three double-meetings of sides 7-12. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting of sides ranked 13-18 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 13-18.

· Sides ranked 13-18 on the ladder will have either no double meeting or a maximum of one double meeting with a side ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting with sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 7-12. They will have a minimum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 13-18 and a maximum of three double-meetings of sides 13-18."

So IF they keep it, we get 1 double up vs Hawk / Richmond, 1 double up vs Collingwood and maybe 1 vs north / Adel / Geel, and 2 / 3 vs other dwellers (assume carlton will be one). Either way, it'll be the best we could hope for.

Positives. The list is not as bad as some would say. Although it needs a bit of a rebuild it is not a huge build. A good ruck and a couple of quick quality midfield players and we have a different look. In all honesty a decent ruck, 2 decent mids with a bit more pace and another tall forward and things are really different.
The plus is we do not need 5 or 6 key planks to start building on. It is not easy but with a bit of luck, a fresh start and some smart moves it can turn around quickly.
Agree with this... There is no rational explanation as to why we are playing so badly other than WADA. If there is a great big ******* white elephant in the room, then i expect that is what you can blame people!
What do you think we do about the ruck Ant? I'm still struggling to believe that TBC is no good :(
As far as an extra two mids go, you would have to wonder if we might have that covered between Fantasia, Laverde, Jackson and Edwards? Ideally i'd like to see them gun for a prime mid in the trade, which would mean we would only need one of those guys to really step up.
Just like this time last year, it all seems deceptively simple...

A positive is the VFL side making finals. Let's all get behind them.
Another one is that our bad performance should get us decent picks and get rid of Hirdy!

Our spine, and getting games into our younger guys.

I guess it's a positive that we've found out that a few of our players aren't up to AFL standard and others have had lots of game time to strut their stuff. The sooner we weed them out, the sooner we'll be moving towards our next premiership, which I think we can see the seeds of in this side. We're also nearer to sorting out where our talls go and giving them permanent game time in those positions.

Compare us to the sides around us on the ladder and with the exception of Gold Coast, I think we're ahead of them all in terms of being potentially close to a premiership. Throw in a few early draft picks over the next couple of years getting some high class mids, we'll be shooting back up the ladder for almost certain finals in 2017.

And a positive from this week, I didn't bet on us to win, despite odds nearing $5.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back