Universal Love Positives of 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

this is how the FIXture has been constructed the last two years

"In the construction of each year’s fixture, the final ladder will be grouped into the top six teams, middle six teams and bottom six teams with regard to better managing the equality of double match-ups for all clubs the following season.

· Sides ranked 1-6 on the ladder will have a minimum of two double-meetings with other top six sides and a maximum of three meetings with sides ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting of sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides in the 7-12 range. They will have either no double meetings or a maximum of one double meeting with a side ranked 13-18.

· Sides ranked 7-12 on the ladder will have a minimum of one double-meeting with sides ranked 1-6 on the ladder and a maximum of two meetings with sides ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of three double-meetings of sides 7-12. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting of sides ranked 13-18 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 13-18.

· Sides ranked 13-18 on the ladder will have either no double meeting or a maximum of one double meeting with a side ranked 1-6. They will have a minimum of one double-meeting with sides ranked 7-12 and a maximum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 7-12. They will have a minimum of two double-meetings of sides ranked 13-18 and a maximum of three double-meetings of sides 13-18."

So IF they keep it, we get 1 double up vs Hawk / Richmond, 1 double up vs Collingwood and maybe 1 vs north / Adel / Geel, and 2 / 3 vs other dwellers (assume carlton will be one). Either way, it'll be the best we could hope for.

I remember reading somewhere that this was to be reviewed at the end of this year before the 2016 fixture comes out. You can see how much of an impact it can make on a team if they get a good with it.

I remember reading somewhere that this was to be reviewed at the end of this year before the 2016 fixture comes out. You can see how much of an impact it can make on a team if they get a good with it.
*cough* Bulldogs *cough*

With 18 teams and only 5 double fixtures it isn't as pronounced but it does probably mean the difference between 10th or 7th and 7th or 4th.

Don't be surprised if the AFL doesn't give us an easier fixture next year. It is not in their interest to help us out in any way, shape or form. Especially if Hird survives.

A silly post - The formula for the draw is set in stone - It could be that you get the best teams in the relevant groupings, but that's not here or there, seeing form fluctuates from season to season.

Yeah okay yaco we'll wait and see and when we end up with an unbelievably s**t fixture I can post about how I said this months ago.
haha I think you are both correct. The rules about finishing in the bottom third are clear so we won't get an absolute shocker but the AFL can still manipulate where we travel and how many Friday night games we get etc. if they want to 'punish' us for whatever reason.

Yeah okay yaco we'll wait and see and when we end up with an unbelievably s**t fixture I can post about how I said this months ago.

Well the fixture will be on the s**t side considering our finishing place on the ladder - That comes with the territory.

Could be payback for deliberately sacking Hird on the day of the AFL's announcement of the new media rights deal. This seems like a deliberate sabotage by EFC - And the AFL's good news has taken second place to the Hird sacking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1-Langford and Laverde. Recruiting coups. Watched a bit of Langford on the weekend and he moves so well through the middle. I think this idea of him as a forward will be challenged. There is a bit of Pendlebury in his smarts around the ball. Similar frame too. Laverde is class we haven't recruited much over the years. Heppell & Merrett spring to mind.

2-Zach Merrett. F'ing love this kid. Our own Sam Mitchell. Even has the look of a smart arse about him when he gets chatty.

3-Colyer, Fantasia, Edwards, McKenna. It may take a year or two, but that lack of speed has an answer coming through the ranks.

4-Our backline. Despite the hammerings, Hurley is in AA form. Hooker was before shifting forward. Baguley has had probably one bad game all year that i can remember. Hibberd acknowledged and addressed he wasn't performing to his best. Carlisle slotted back into defence like a natural (i won't knock his efforts as he isn't alone in that camp). 5 AA quality defenders. I am hoping we keep it together (or replace Carlisle with similar quality in someone like Howe)

*cough*

Just because too much negativity can be draining.

Hurley, Hooker, Z Merrett, Laverde, our VFL side, our win in round 2, beating Hawthorn/Carlton/Collingwood in a dismal year, Egan stepping up, Fletcher making 400, our membership record being broken ... seriously, that is no easy feat.

Sometimes there are some positives within the negatives... We were aiming for top four this year, but to get there we would have had to have a really good run with injuries. If that had happened we wouldn't have got games into the likes of Laverde, Fantasia, Edwards, Mckenna and Langford. We wouldn't know any more than we did last year about Kav, NOB and Steinberg. It's quite possible that we may have ended the year with a preliminary final loss (or thereabouts), in a state of dependence/reliance on Chapman, Fletch, Licka and Cooney. If that sort of scenario had occurred i'm not sure we would be any closer to our next flag than we are right now? Finals experience/success is good, but under those circumstances - not so much.
There is a new flavour developing within the team, which when viewed through rose coloured glasses looks exciting. If we can get the correct balance with Mckernan and TBC then we will have something there that we may not have discovered otherwise. There is now the serious potential to inject pace into the side and perhaps finally get the balance right in that area.
In a sense 2015 only ever promised development of one kind or another. At the very least we needed an extra year into JD and Zach before getting our hopes up for more. We got the "other" type of development, but that comes with the added bonus of a top four pick.
What it means for next year is so hard to read... If there is a real rejuvenation amongst the old guard after being cleared by WADA, then we could see a reset that wipes the 2015 slate clean. If so, then we might in some ways be grateful for scraping the barrel this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back