Positives?

Remove this Banner Ad

konstas_87

Premiership Player
Sep 11, 2003
Watching Browny
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not a great night for the boys... obviously...
But i thought Browny was competitive when he got a chance, and Jamie tried all night as always.
Big Mal tried his hardest and was very competitive considering their great delivery. Deserves an all Aus birth before end of his career.
Shermo had an ok start, but what else could we really take out of the game?
Showed no real heart or fight i didnt think...
Clark gave away undisciplined frees, Brennan never fired a shot, Harding was pretty ok, Milss just got beaten: can't hold that against the bloke.

Also, I love Vossy more than anyone (cept maybe Browny), he still gets the footy and is valuable for us but he has to realise his limitations now. He continues to have shots from 50 every week and sprays em every time. He should concede this for the sake of the team and be more patient until an option presents, or kick it to the hot spot so it at least stays in play and creates an opportunity.

Thoughts?
Never really TRULY honestly thought we'd come away with the points but was hoping for a better effort.

konstas_87 said:
Never really TRULY honestly thought we'd come away with the points but was hoping for a better effort.
Same as that really. The score flattered us too. In the 3rd quarter I thought we were in for a hiding - I mean a real hiding - but to keep the margin <40 points makes it look better than it was.

Having said that, we missed at least 5 'easy' shots at goal so could have made it look closer.

Positives? Brown, Charman and Michael like you said. Can't think of many others. Copeland, Leppitsch, Mills outclassed at the back. Bradshaw and Aka not getting a kick forward. Voss's treatment by 9 was a bit harsh when they kept replaying when he got left by .. (can't remember) .. because he didn't waste possession when he got it but he just got beaten for pace on that occasion.

Drop Brown into the midfield so he can get some posession and do something with it.

Good summary I thought. We have 2 genuine, top class footballers at the moment (Brown and Charman), and their class was evident. The rest were somewhere between ok and ordinary and this is what we can expect, particularly away from home, for the next year or two.

konstas_87 said:
Not a great night for the boys... obviously...
But i thought Browny was competitive when he got a chance, and Jamie tried all night as always.
Big Mal tried his hardest and was very competitive considering their great delivery. Deserves an all Aus birth before end of his career.
Showed no real heart or fight i didnt think...
Clark gave away undisciplined frees, Brennan never fired a shot, Harding was pretty ok, Milss just got beaten: can't hold that against the bloke.

Also, I love Vossy more than anyone (cept maybe Browny), he still gets the footy and is valuable for us but he has to realise his limitations now. He continues to have shots from 50 every week and sprays em every time. He should concede this for the sake of the team and be more patient until an option presents, or kick it to the hot spot so it at least stays in play and creates an opportunity.

Thoughts?

Stiller did well

I don't understand why we're getting thrashed in the middle. (note - I didn't see the game because I was lied to by the TV guide - am preparing litigation as we speak) Charman keeps winning his spot, but then what happens? I know we miss Lappin and Hadlee something chronic, but we still have good midfielders. Is it communication, chemistry, lack of size/strength, lack of speed, inability to read the ball? Are we overestimating Charman? Something is breaking down in a bad way.

Sorry. This isn't very positive. I should have posted this elsewhere.

konstas_87 said:
Sherman has probably been Brisbane's best player over the first two games, and come tonight he was benched for a good 30-40 minutes. Does anyone know why; because to me it came as a real surprise. He’s a hard, committed young bloke who always crashes the packs hard and runs the lines well. Don't know why Matthews had him wasting away on the bench for such long stretches.

I thought Brown was the best tonight, he played brilliant. He tried his guts out all night, kept leading and presenting to make an option. He took some great grabs, and put it all on the line yet again for his mates. Top effort Browny.

In my opinion Brennan was pretty good tonight; of course we saw some lackluster attempts but we saw some signs of brilliance. He handled the ball well, dodged and weaved opponents many times and he just showed a heap of class tonight. He should be one of the positives to come from tonight.

Lions43 said:
Good summary I thought. We have 2 genuine, top class footballers at the moment (Brown and Charman), and their class was evident. The rest were somewhere between ok and ordinary and this is what we can expect, particularly away from home, for the next year or two.

I think we will struggle away (from home) for at least this season and probably next, until the inexperienced players on our list get used to 40.000 fans booing them instead of an adoring 35,000 at the Gabba cheering their every move.

From 1998 to 2000, heavy away losses were the norm and I fear we are going to have to cop our medicine again for a season or two until the young, the rookies and the inexperienced come to terms with that.

Harding, Brennan, Mills, Hooper, Attard, Rischetelli, and co. will learn...the hard way....and will be better players for it.

]The performance tonight was not great but there have been far worse in our short history......I was actually heartened by their willingness to run out the game.....good signs.

Have patience.

Grimreepah said:
I don't understand why we're getting thrashed in the middle. (note - I didn't see the game because I was lied to by the TV guide - am preparing litigation as we speak) Charman keeps winning his spot, but then what happens? I know we miss Lappin and Hadlee something chronic, but we still have good midfielders. Is it communication, chemistry, lack of size/strength, lack of speed, inability to read the ball? Are we overestimating Charman? Something is breaking down in a bad way.

Sorry. This isn't very positive. I should have posted this elsewhere.
did u see when they showed some replays at was it halftime?
Our midfielders were ''free-wheeling' as they called it, all sitting on the back of the centre ready to receive the easy handball, rather than going and getting it themselves. I guess this happens when u have confidence of always winning 50-50s during 3-4 grand years at the top. As Mal said our 'Brownlow meddalists' need to take their heads out of their behinds and be accountable.

konstas_87 said:
did u see when they showed some replays at was it halftime?
Our midfielders were ''free-wheeling' as they called it, all sitting on the back of the centre ready to receive the easy handball, rather than going and getting it themselves. I guess this happens when u have confidence of always winning 50-50s during 3-4 grand years at the top. As Mal said our 'Brownlow meddalists' need to take their heads out of their behinds and be accountable.

What about Marcus Allen? Would he be bettered suited to this role?

A positive is that we don't have to play interstate next week.:D

Lions43 said:

Three - Mal Michael.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ceebee said:
It was looking like a flogging at one stage, but they kept battling. That is a definite positive.
True. It could have been very embarrassing but because they kept going and got a few goals, it's just a defeat. And before anybody corrects me, just go back to last August and compare.

Let's face it, however you look at the Lions performance, you're opposed by Lenny Hayes and Nick dal Santo who were both awesome. Riewoldt was fantastic - a guy who'll be remembered as a champion of the game in years to come and Coleman medallist Gehrig did OK too. We didn't play great but were beaten by 37 points by a team boasting these guys amongst their ranks.
You'll see the Lions play worse than that and get four points this season, I'm pretty sure of that. The only real negative for me is the number of set shots that didn't result in 6 pointers.

Vidman said:
Three - Mal Michael.

Very true, apologies to Mal who has been great this season...

Just reading everything that's been written and particularly some of the rubbish in the media is interesting. I reckon true Lions supporters (as the people on these boards certainly seem to be) are generally philosophical and understanding that we are going through a transition. Sure its disappointing to lose and sure its disappointing to see the guys make basic skill errors when we're used to so much better but you'll probably never see a side play in 4 straight Grand Finals again in your lifetime so we really have been blessed.

Some of this rubbish in the media that the "glory days are over" and the Lions can expect to be bullied for the next few years intrigues me. I can't believe people earn good money for stating the bleeding obvious in the media. How can we possibly expect to be doing what we did 4 or 5 years ago when a lot of our true stars from that era are around the 30 mark and a lot have actually retired and been replaced by a bunch of talented but raw kids?

What we are seeing now is perfectly normal and every successful team goes through it to some extent. Look at the demise the Hawks have suffered since 1991. Essendon were the greatest team ever in 2000, yet 5 years later they were close to the bottom of the ladder. Port Adelaide are going through something similar to us. The kids need time to come up to scratch and getting some hammerings on the road from powerhouse teams is part of the inevitable cycle. The key is getting the experience into them and seeing improvement in their play. They'll make mistakes along the way but as long as we see improvement over the next year or two that will be great.

For all that, don't be surprised if we bob up in the 8 at seasons end. If we have some luck with injuries and keep winning at home we could easily be in the 8 yet as we still have some great players and the team will improve through the year, like they did last year. The key is not dropping games at home - like this Richmond game, and keeping our key players on the paddock. At the moment the injuries are a slight concern. We've probably copped more than any other side in the comp to this stage of the season and we just can't afford it to continue.

If things go badly on the injury front and we start dropping winnable home games, the enthusiasm may drop off and see us finish well out of the 8. If things go well with injuries and we get some continuity of players then we will get on a bit of a roll at some stage for sure and after next week we'll have Skilled Stadium, the Saints away and the Eagles away out of the way for the year. If we can pick up 2 of our next 3 'home' games against the Tiges, Swans and Hawks I'll be happy to be at 3-4 with 9 more matches at the Gabba and the 3 toughest road trips out of the way.

To me its pretty much that simple so keep the chins up and get out to as many games as you can and support the boys like never before because now is when they need you. With an ounce of luck you'll be as proud of them as ever by year's end, even though they won't be there on the last Saturday in September.

Grimreepah said:
What about Marcus Allen? Would he be bettered suited to this role?
yeh in the NAB i thought he might be a good in and under midfielder in the making.
But to be honest the problem isnt lack of personnel: the midfielders we have in there are perfectly capabable, they're just not doing it.

Vidman said:
Three - Mal Michael.
agreed -
Charmo, Brown and Michael are SO FAR ahead of the rest of our team in genuine class and consistency at the moment its just shockingly obvious.
Others contribute on and off: Bradshaw has had an ok start, Shermo has contributed most of the time, Blacky had an ok round 2, Vossy keeps trying.
But these 3 are our best and will be B&F - 1,2,3.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back