Positives

Remove this Banner Ad

Yippyio

Team Captain
Mar 18, 2001
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And I believe we have plenty of positives despite the result.

-Sherman is going to be a fantastic long term player.
-Adcock was terrific considering hes not 100%, also very promising long term prospect.
-Cameron Wood looks a very exciting prospect, really think he will come into his own in the next few years.
-Hooper looks very exciting for the future, tries very hard.

Im really excited about our future. Our young guys just need games under there belt. Unfortunately we are missing so many experienced players that the young blokes are missing a bit of leadership out there but they are having a go and thats all that matters with only 3 games to go.

Hooper showed tonight he can actually hold a mark as well :thumbsu:
Good to see Adock get a bit of the ball, Shermo ran hard all night, and Woody looked OK too i agree.
We have to remember some of these guys are still 18-19...

Roe - Didn't have a bad game. Showed some very good glimpses
Sherman - Excelled and was great to see him get a lot of the ball
Adcock - Getting back into the form we like to see. Keeps scaring me that he has reinjured something
Wood - Doesn't look as lost anymore! yay! Still needs a haircut... I am starting to believe that in a few years after he really starts to develop a charman - wood team could work wonders.
Hooper - gotta love the kid. goes hard at the ball all day...
Stiller - has gone beyond what I am sure everyone expected of him as a little rookie at the beginning of the year
B. Scott - The old man getting 25 possies and I think 4 tackles.. who knew he had it in him. I hope he goes out on a high...

Overall - can we please forget the first half? And I am starting to get the feeling that the injury god is a vengeful pies supporter...

Yippyio said:
And I believe we have plenty of positives despite the result.

-Sherman is going to be a fantastic long term player.
-Adcock was terrific considering hes not 100%, also very promising long term prospect.
-Cameron Wood looks a very exciting prospect, really think he will come into his own in the next few years.
-Hooper looks very exciting for the future, tries very hard.

Im really excited about our future. Our young guys just need games under there belt. Unfortunately we are missing so many experienced players that the young blokes are missing a bit of leadership out there but they are having a go and thats all that matters with only 3 games to go.
Yep. Sherman, Adcock, Wood and Hooper were good as you said. I will also add Stiller. I thought he was also terrific tonight. It is bloody tough when we have great player like Luke and Simon tagged hard and a form forward like Danny again double/triple teamed. I am logging off for the night because if get into a debate with these fair weather supporters I will be banned and to be honest I despise fairweather supporters .Eff em:mad:. Good Night.

If North can win another game we will have the 4th draft pick, cause we certainly won't be winning again this year.

Tend to agree, with what has already been posted.
Wood, Hooper, Sherman, Roe, Adcock, Stiller, Notting tried hard

As this is a postive thread I won't post those that tonight proved they will never be AFL standard players (not just tonight).
Fair to say we desperately need another key backman......... amongst other things.

I'm sorry did you just say that our Brissy Lions players will never be AFL standard players?

The obvious standout was Sherman. When all his comrades are tiring at the end of a long season, he seems to be getting stronger and stronger. It is quite remarkable considering he is 19, one of the youngest in the team. I never really thought about it before, but maybe he is a future leader of the club.

It was also very encouraging to see Cameron Wood get some footy around the ground, which is what I've been wanting to see from him. Unfortunately he looked to get outmuscled in the ruck a bit.

Adcock, Selwood and Stiller all did their best and I was happy with them. And Hooper was a live wire all night. I couldn't ask any more of him, it's just the game didn't allow him enough space to break free. Still took a few contested marks which is a very good sign.

Jason Roe does a lot of good things but can do some terrible things too. If he can eliminate the 3 or 4 horrible possessions out of his game he will be very good.

Simon Black and Luke Power were well tagged but they still made a good contribution, especially Power. They really are among our best players every week.

What did everyone think of Merrett down back? For me I was very encouraged. Richo took a few marks but I think that was through good delivery rather than anything Merrett did wrong. I thought he was a bit unlucky that on a couple of occaisons his team mate accidently took him out of the contest. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the back half.

Ashli said:
I'm sorry did you just say that our Brissy Lions players will never be AFL standard players?
im guessing Allan was the reference, harsh but not completely uncalled for i guess...
Hard to blame any individual after that sought of loss.

As a Richmond supporter these would be the postives i saw from brisbane

* Justin Sherman
* Jed Adcock
* Jason Roe
* Cheynee Stiller
* Troy Selwood
* Cameron Wood

All played pretty well IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll use an old but trusted cliché. "Every cloud has a silver lining". Let's not loose sight that ours is "GOLD" lined. Too optimistic? IMO not.

Sure we got mauled, sure it was Richmond who also had a fairly youthful side.
But for all that, I still had the feeling that we had a better future.
Richmond was coming of a four match loosing streak, so their commitment levels in this match would have been primed. Our commitment is on the decline after an "annus horribilis" year. The youngsters so far have acquitted themselves extremely well.

However this was bound to happen at some stage. It was in the first quarter that a totally disorganised dispirited cubs lacking leadership from Black and Power lost their way. Can't blame the cubs they are just fighting for their own survival. Combined with Patric Bowden's blinder first quarter in defense sealed our fate. That was just about the best quarter of football I have ever seen in that position from any player including Leppa at his best.

For some reason a finger has been pointed at Harding as not being an AFL level player. Crap. Absolute CRAP. IMO he is more than an average AFL player. He will raise to an elite level. His delivery inside fifty is the best of any of our midfielders, including Black and Power. The problem at the moment is that he lacks confidence to ask for the ball from his team mates. He is by-passed because he is not established yet. Has not developed a reputation. However when he has an opportunity he carries the ball and has a delivery that I am sure Leigh and the coaching staff a drooling in anticipation of what is to happen in few years, when he gets some physical development and 100 games into him. Our current midfield is so reminiscent of the West Coast midfield of three years ago. When they were blooding Judd, Ker, Cousins etc...

For all the support Black and Power have for captaincy following Voss, this game showed why they are not natural leaders. Once tagged they failed to inspire, failed to direct and failed to show authority to change the mood and lead from the front. They were too busy trying to extricate themselves from close checking opponents. For the next few years that's what will be happening, constantly, continuously. So for me bring on Brown as our leader. It is now definitive. No ifs or buts.

As this is a thread about positives I will not discuss Mal's game and commitment and attitude and demeanor and body language and and and...

With out seeing the game last night as wasnt telecast in Adelaide, are we now suffering a premiership hangover?
In my opinion this has been coming for a while but with some more young players we pick up in the draft and the continued development of our youngsters than Lethal has been doing all year I cant help to think in 2 more years we will be back to regular finals appearances. Since I became a Brisbane supporter back in '95 I think this will be our only 3rd or 4th none finals year, I cant accept it but it happens and we will bounce back!!!
I am not a financial member but I do make sure I go to Footy Park in Adelaide to provide plenty of voice.

GO LIONS WIN THE LAST 3 GAMES!!!

Bentleigh said:
- Sherman is handy.
- Wood can be anything. Smacks of potential. Jeff White, just 10 cms taller.
Did you notice Richo talk to Woody after the game - a mad tigers supporter before going to the lions?

Bobby Beecroft said:
Fair to say we desperately need another key backman......... amongst other things.

Would you keep Garner on the senior list next year?

I was quite excited to see Sherman at the top of the stat list the whole way through the game. Even when things were going to pot, he was doing the hard yards. I hope the others all took notice. He's been consistently good all year.

Even though Roe had a brain fade (again, but hey, Power had one too, and he's a lot older and wiser) he's doing well considering his experience, or lack of it. Hooper is quick! When his footy brain develops more I think he'll be a force, and we need some speedy forwards.

So yeah, there's always positives.

Grimreepah said:

Unfortunately never seem him live, the Qlders would have a better idea.
Obviously a bad year for him to do his knee, he would have had many chances as a back KPP from what I have heard.

I probably would, given that he hasn't had the chance that some others have had, & are proving not up to it a this stage. That said the rookie list option remains open.
PS. May depend on what they get in the draft, the earlier we pick the more likely we will claim another KPP. Interesting times.

Grimreepah said:

I tend to think his best chance of staying on the list is through rookie selection. His pretty tall but is extremely thin (albeit alot less so than before being drafted) so he would have to play a third tall role who has good run off Half Back ala Notting.

Players out due to injury and to come back

Michael Voss
Jonathan Brown
Jamie Charman
Nigel Lappin
Clark Keating
Chris Johnson
Ash McGrath
Richard Hadley
Mitch Clark
Anthony Corrie
Chris Scott
Joel Macdonald
Josh Drummond
Beau McDonald
Michael Rischitelli

There is a lot to be positive about, with Sherman, Roe and Moody, we don't look too bad for 2007

I would say there is still around 10 of those that would be in our starting 22 next year. That my friend, Is crazy!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back