18 games
20.50 disposals per game
68.46% kicking efficiency
72.09% disposal efficiency
10.83 marks per game
3.56 contested marks per game
2.89 tackles per game
0.22 frees against per game

24 years old, 194cm, 97kg, formerly Pick #55 in the 2015 National Draft.

For the record, Collins' numbers for Werribee this year:

18 games
20.50 disposals per game
10.83 marks per game
2.89 tackles per game

Good stats for a big guy, looks like we found our Lynden Dunn replacement :thumbsupemoji:

For the record, Collins' numbers for Werribee this year:

18 games
20.50 disposals per game
10.83 marks per game
2.89 tackles per game

I've been a huge fan of Collins since his days in BH but he is slow as a treacle and lacks agility, and unfortunately most if not all forwards of the AFL in this day and age are anything but slow and lacking in agility. His disposal is also questionable.

Reads the play extremely well and has great hands. Just dominates in the air like Lake at VFL level.

I've been a huge fan of Collins since his days in BH but he is slow as a treacle and lacks agility, and unfortunately most if not all forwards of the AFL in this day and age are anything but slow and lacking in agility. His disposal is also questionable.

Reads the play extremely well and has great hands. Just dominates in the air like Lake at VFL level.
Spot on. For us (or really Peel mostly) he showed elite intercept marking in defence. However he is slow, not a good kick technically or decision making wise (particularly under pressure) and not strong enough through the core to compete one on one with AFL key forwards.
Unless he has dramatically improved either his kicking or his strength/speed I'd pass.

If the AFL award Carlton the first chance at the state wide players first from what I know they could do worse than picking Sam Collins from Box Hill as a defender, hopefully they don’t miss out like they did with Kane Lambert.
I was surprised with Sam Collins delisting from freo last season.

Played 10 games in 2016 because w had injuries. At oepoint we onlt had Sam Collins and Zac Dawson as our only available key defenders. Surprised he only got 2 games in 2017. Surprising really as he should of get 5-10 games in 2017 expecially with Alex Pearce out in 2017 with that leg injury. Then Again, Michael Johnson and Joel Hamling both at 194cm and 90 kg both played 22 games in 2017...

Some of us assumed that Johnson was going to be phased out last year playing 10-12 games while Sam Collins was going to play another 10-12 games.

He was a bit slow though. His kicking wasn't too bad.

if not now, then when ever? how much worse can a club perform for this "discretion" to be achieved?

I feel like Sandra Sully here....

THE Gold Coast Suns have signed ex-Fremantle and most recently Werribee VFL player Sam Collins as their final mature-aged state league special assistance player.

foxsports.com.au/api/v1/article/amp/afl/afl-trade-news-gold-coast-signs-vfls-sam-collins-as-matureaged-state-league-assistance-selection/news-story/11ee2c7d1628db2a2ab80faa8a35a8e5

Carlton had equal access to him, and chose not to pursue him. Vintage SOS :thumbsu:

dont worry about these bulltish state players, im talking about a proper priority pick in the draft. i didnt want to start a new thread just for it so just continued it here.

dont worry about these bulltish state players, im talking about a proper priority pick in the draft. i didnt want to start a new thread just for it so just continued it here.
No way. Carlton had access to pick 1 in the draft this year but chose to trade it away because Silvagni played Russian Roulette on draft night.

Not a chance in hell the AFL will give you a second bite at the cherry after Silvagni traded your first rounder away for Liam Stocker....

Stop playing teenagers who aren't ready every week and you might win some games. SOS is a s**t list manager

if not now, then when ever? how much worse can a club perform for this "discretion" to be achieved?
Lol how about you get rid of the useless coaching staff, as well as bring in a neutral list manager. A PP will just end up s**t with the current administration

On reflection I am glad we got this kind of assistance, Collins and to a lesser extent Burgess have been great pick ups for us to help solidify the team with some maturity. The best of them, Corbett looked good coming back from injury against Sydney in the NEAFL, hopefully he is in, in the next couple of weeks.

Another first round draft pick would have done absolutely nothing for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On reflection I am glad we got this kind of assistance, Collins and to a lesser extent Burgess have been great pick ups for us to help solidify the team with some maturity. The best of them, Corbett looked good coming back from injury against Sydney in the NEAFL, hopefully he is in, in the next couple of weeks.

Another first round draft pick would have done absolutely nothing for us.
That shows why Gold Coasts current list management has been good and Carltons has been putrid

I like Collins, he's a marking, intercepting machine. Glad he got another chance at AFL level.

But he isn't what Carlton need/needed given we have Weitering, Jones, Marchbank (when not injured) and Plowman. Plus McGovern capable of filling in down back.

Our list has holes everywhere. Support for Cripps, outside run, small fwds, med fwds, rebounding (running) HBF. Another CHB or intercepting defender is a LONG way down the list.

my question is, if not know, then under what scenario would they ever give it? not denying poor management. but for any team to be poor enough to warrant a priority pick, there would have to be poor management involved in the first place anyway.

my question is, if not know, then under what scenario would they ever give it? not denying poor management. but for any team to be poor enough to warrant a priority pick, there would have to be poor management involved in the first place anyway.
There is oodles of 'talent' on our list. It just needs to develop and grow together.

We don't need more picks.

You guys had like 13 first rounders play on the weekend agaisnt GC who had 5. * off with your asking for help, your club needs to put experienced talent around these youngsters to help them develop.

Reads the play like McGovern, beautiful to watch. Suns are building some nice foundations, hopefully they start to attract some proven stars in the near future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back