Possible match-fixing?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder how people would respond if a top international side went out in a fairly meaningless one-day tournament on the sub-continent (with no one watching), against one of the minnows and gave away 41 wides? (Total extras was exactly 50).

Particularly when, in their last 15 or so games, the most wides they had conceded was 12?

Definitely seems suss.

Well, that's what the Australian women did last night. It just seems so bizarre. Playing Sri Lanka (who are very weak).

The previous most extras the Australian women had EVER conceded was 34. The most wides they had EVER previously conceded was 22 (they have only bowled more than 20 wides 3 times in 290 matches).

I'm sure it's harmless - but if it was the Pakistani men (for example) we'd all be smirking and saying "Sure,.........".

Well the board pays you peanuts. There is a chance.

It definitely looks a little suspicious. For what it's worth the 41 wides came from 25 deliveries. So that is 1 ball wide every 2 overs. Of those 25 deliveries, 16 came from one end so perhaps wind conditions played a part? I wouldn't be jumping to any sort of conclusion though.

I wonder how people would respond if a top international side went out in a fairly meaningless one-day tournament on the sub-continent (with no one watching), against one of the minnows and gave away 41 wides? (Total extras was exactly 50).

Particularly when, in their last 15 or so games, the most wides they had conceded was 12?

Definitely seems suss.

Well, that's what the Australian women did last night. It just seems so bizarre. Playing Sri Lanka (who are very weak).

The previous most extras the Australian women had EVER conceded was 34. The most wides they had EVER previously conceded was 22 (they have only bowled more than 20 wides 3 times in 290 matches).

I'm sure it's harmless - but if it was the Pakistani men (for example) we'd all be smirking and saying "Sure,.........".
Might help to get your facts straight.

Firstly, Australia won the game.

Secondly, it wasn't meaningless, as this win meant we qualified for the World Cup.

Thirdly, conditions looked tricky, with a fair bit of wind and the ball moving around a lot.

Sometimes, weird s**t happens in a cricket match. Doesn't always mean that there is a conspiracy afoot.

Might help to get your facts straight.

Firstly, Australia won the game.

Secondly, it wasn't meaningless, as this win meant we qualified for the World Cup.

Thirdly, conditions looked tricky, with a fair bit of wind and the ball moving around a lot.

Sometimes, weird s**t happens in a cricket match. Doesn't always mean that there is a conspiracy afoot.

The point I was making is not that Australia won or lost the game. It was the huge number of wides that were bowled (I should have called the Thread 'Spot-fixing' rather than match-fixing).

Australia was always going to win the game - Sri Lankan women are nowhere near the top nations yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back