News Possible NBL team

Remove this Banner Ad

What money? Our profits are small based on annual turnover and continuing to inject revenue into minnow sports ($ wise) is not a sustainable business model because it simply puts a drain on football resources to supplement losses.

That said whenever we have these strategic leaks I seem to take the POV that ends up being inaccurate so in this case I think I’ll support this one!

The CFC is a not for profit organisation unless I'm mistaken so profits have to go back into something. If we were making loses then this argument holds weight. I see the potential to augment footy department spending without impinging FD tax thresholds. Can't see how that'd be a bad thing.

The CFC is a not for profit organisation unless I'm mistaken so profits have to go back into something. If we were making loses then this argument holds weight. I see the potential to augment footy department spending without impinging FD tax thresholds. Can't see how that'd be a bad thing.

Why aren’t we investing in assets that benefit the AFL team and sit outside the FD? It’s groundbreaking I know! If the average Joe can see the potential to augment FD spending do you honestly believe the auditors can’t either?

Also the aim should be to break even each year or make smashing profits. What we’ve been doing in terms of profits the past few years is getting us nowhere as far as growth is concerned and it’s shown on field and off.

What money? Our profits are small based on annual turnover and continuing to inject revenue into minnow sports ($ wise) is not a sustainable business model because it simply puts a drain on football resources to supplement losses.

That said whenever we have these strategic leaks I seem to take the POV that ends up being inaccurate so in this case I think I’ll support this one!

Sco consider though the team Would play at rod laver where it Would easily attract at least 10,000 to each home game
When we realise that the following is going on
1ben Simmons
2 thon maker
3 huge medal chance world champs and olympics
4 nbl on fat 3 nights a week
5 nba recent games proves quality ok, more consumer interest
6 sponsors queuing up
7 women's team as well will follow
8 Matty D very big pie man and it would be great to get the bucks out here for a launch game
9 Basketball is the most participated sport in Victoria
All up sco thing it's a no brainer
In fact out of any sport apart from afl this is the best option
Imo

Taking our eye off the FOOTBALL as far as I am concerned.......AGAIN.

I'm supportive of the netball and womens football team. But I feel this would be over-extending us. Not a fan of the idea. I wonder if the club will consult fans?

Of Course then won't. Ed says something it Happens

Sco consider though the team Would play at rod laver where it Would easily attract at least 10,000 to each home game
1ben Simmons
2 thon maker
6 sponsors queuing up
8 Matty D very big pie man and it would be great to get the bucks out here for a launch game
Imo

The biggest round crowd average in the past 20 years of NBL was 7,500 last year yet we’ll easily attract 10,000? Do you have any idea what the rent would be on Rod Laver? Where will the players be permanently based? We then have the tribalism of this leading to limited died in the wool types switching allegiances. In terms of NBL fans the best opportunity is Collingwood supporting Tigers fans and there’s not enough of those to fill Rod Laver.

The end result is that a Collingwood franchise becomes like the Suns and Giants, but funded by us not the league. To be smart about this we need to either partner with a private interest or a University.

The biggest round crowd average in the past 20 years of NBL was 7,500 last year yet we’ll easily attract 10,000? Do you have any idea what the rent would be on Rod Laver? Where will the players be permanently based? We then have the tribalism of this leading to limited died in the wool types switching allegiances. In terms of NBL fans the best opportunity is Collingwood supporting Tigers fans and there’s not enough of those to fill Rod Laver. The end result is that a Collingwood franchise becomes like the Suns and Giants, but funded by us not the league. To be smart about this we need to either partner with a private interest or a University.

The most smartest is not do it. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best case scenario, the franchise is successful and we make a small profit but are funding a competition that is in direct competition to the AFL.

Worst case scenario, financial black hole and public embarrassment. See Tinkler and Palmer's forays and ultimate failure in the A-league to see what public embarrassment looks like.

I really struggle to see any point to it all. It seems like spending for spendings sake. Maybe they argue that it is community initiative but I'd suggest that getting rid of our dependence on pokies would be a much better use of our cash.

The only expansion 'd think about would be if we could get a 20/20 franchise team up. The growth, exposure and potential profits of T20 is huge. Cricket has demonstrated over a long period that it doesn't compete with AFL and in fact most AFL supporters (or a significant number anyway) would cross over and support cricket. There's also the international exposure and prestige that makes the lolNBL idea look pretty stoopid. Every match of T20 is on commercial tv and attracts bigger crows than any other form (is NBL even on austar??). Probably fantasy land though because cricket aus would never allow it I'm guessing. I reckon a ton of pies fans would watch a collingwood cricket team, how many would watch a single game of the netball or basketball (I know I wouldn't).

Last edited:
Why aren’t we investing in assets that benefit the AFL team and sit outside the FD? It’s ground breaking I know!

No worries, lets build a state of the art training facility and club rooms... oh wait. Maybe an altitude room.... oh wait. Maybe lights for the training surface.... oh wait. Maybe a social club... oh wait. Much of spending which has contributed to the low profit margins of recent years you suggest make the model unsustainable. Those assets are now in place and investing in alternate sports is an option the club should explore if there is the resource base to support it.

If the average Joe can see the potential to augment FD spending do you honestly believe the auditors can’t either?

Whether or not it can be seen is irrelevant if expenditure is declared for activity outside the FD spend. AFL will need to tighten the rules around club investment in alternative sports if they want to circumvent it as they have little say in how netball and basketball franchises are managed. Maybe that's why Walshy was so abrupt with Neil at training, he thought he was an auditor.

Also the aim should be to break even each year or make smashing profits. What we’ve been doing in terms of profits the past few years is getting us nowhere as far as growth is concerned and it’s shown on field and off.

Long bow.

1ben Simmons
2 thon maker
6 sponsors queuing up
Imo

I support the diversification but even I'm not naïve enough to believe NBL is likely to regain long lost prominence. Be a bonus if it can break even as a franchise.

No worries, lets build a state of the art training facility and club rooms... oh wait. Maybe an altitude room.... oh wait. Maybe lights for the training surface.... oh wait. Maybe a social club... oh wait. Much of spending which has contributed to the low profit margins of recent years you suggest make the model unsustainable. Those assets are now in place and investing in alternate sports is an option the club should explore if there is the resource base to support it.

Whether or not it can be seen is irrelevant if expenditure is declared for activity outside the FD spend. AFL will need to tighten the rules around club investment in alternative sports if they want to circumvent it as they have little say in how netball and basketball franchises are managed. Maybe that's why Walshy was so abrupt with Neil at training, he thought he was an auditor.

Long bow.

State of the art? No our facilities are only leading edge in one area, location. Compare what we have to Essendon, Fremantle and soon enough Hawthorn and we’ve fallen behind.

Walsh is a campaigner that’s what that was about and nothing to with auditing. Talk of long bows indeed. At least I can provide a correlation between revenue, profit and performance of sporting clubs.

FWIW if Walsh treated an AFL auditor like that he’d have been hauled over the coals faster than you can say cap rorting! I’m fed up with this type of discussion with people who have no idea about the economics of sport so I’m out.

State of the art? No our facilities are only leading edge in one area, location. Compare what we have to Essendon, Fremantle and soon enough Hawthorn and we’ve fallen behind.

Walsh is a campaigner that’s what that was about and nothing to with auditing. Talk of long bows indeed. At least I can provide a correlation between revenue, profit and performance of sporting clubs.

FWIW if Walsh treated an AFL auditor like that he’d have been hauled over the coals faster than you can say cap rotting! I’m fed up with this type of discussion with people who have no idea about the economics of sport...

Walsh comment was a joke but if it gives yet more reason to mount the high horse far be it for me to stop you.

Happy for you to enlighten us to your qualifications and expertise on sports economics.

Walsh comment was a joke but if it gives yet more reason to mount the high horse far be it for me to stop you.

Happy for you to enlighten us to your qualifications and expertise on sports economics.

After a decade within sports administration roles and degrees in Sports administration, business management, accounting and economics I feel privileged to be stuck in this go nowhere discussion...

After a decade within sports administration roles and degrees in Sports administration, business management, accounting and economics I feel privileged to be stuck in this go nowhere discussion...

Well as a mere pleb with only dual degrees in accounting and in public health, 25 years of contract management experience for state and federal government departments, and the owner of a plant and machinery hire business for nearly a decade, who am I to argue when in the presence of such an esteemed authority.

Well as a mere pleb with only dual degrees in accounting and in public health, 25 years of contract management experience for state and federal government departments, and the owner of a plant and machinery hire business for nearly a decade, who am I to argue when in the presence of such an esteemed authority.

Both of you read this: Albert Einstein's often-quoted aphorism that "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" ..

Now, who is who?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back