News Possible NBL team

Remove this Banner Ad

FFS no! Can we focus on footy, you know our core business that we’ve neglected the last few years and haven’t resourced recruiting properly.

If we can’t make money on poker machines what hope do we have making even a 1mil loss on an NBL team

Basketball? Really? I always thought soccer had the most numbers.

Numbers are not accurate and do not reflect amount of games played
Scratch matches
Kids can play individual
Outdoor courts ect
Some play more than 1 time a week
Most kids play 3 games
Most adults who play also go more than once a week
Not that many soccer players play 3 times a week as example
Bball allows that at 16 seniors rep domestic player , junior rep, junior domestic and then school
If any good you might even play at a few other domestic comps as well
I played 3 games on a Saturday juniors

I don't have an issue with the women's football team jackcass.

I only used Hawthorn as an example for Darky of a successful football team.......I don't want my team being involved in anything other than football.

How did Eddies plan go to become BIGGER than Manchester United??

Mate it's happening as we speak

90% of people like the premier league. Most of them like the champions league/ world cup. A few fanatics like more boring major leagues in Spain and Italy. The thing about Australians though is that our passion for sport is largely about watching the best play. The a-league sets a terribly low standard imo. The sport in this country is doomed because Australians don't care for watching two teams of spuds playing off each other in a sport that is inherently boring. At least in the boring euro leagues you can say your watching some of the best. The players in the A-league or so horrible that I'm confident that you picked 11 players from the AFL and trained them up for 12 months they'd win the A league in a canter.
We just don't need our finger in every single sporting pie.

To be honest I'm still not entirely comfortable with how netball has been hijacked by rich, powerful AFL clubs with elite facilities and resourcing at their fingertips...

This had to happen

Wake me up when we win the Premiership mate.

I think in the history of the club we've made the grand final every 3. 8 years or so
That's a successful club
Equalisation, zoning changes, umpiring and agendas have lowered this
We haven't helped ourselves sure but As pointed out were a business and we need more bums on seats to get the glasshouse pumping
That's where the money is
And it should improve the brand

Not too many short fat people succeed in soccer either.

Also, we're not talking about the NBA or EPL here, we're talking local grass roots participation. Most people at those levels choose a sport based on which sport they enjoy playing more. Height has very little to do with it.

Myopic? Your point is that less people choose to play basketball because each individual team has less players in it. That is nonsensical.

No more nonsensical than your view that it doesn't. Happy to agree to disagree. My sport of choice these days is fishing and participation rates in that far surpass either soccer or basketball, maybe because short fat blokes like me can do it.

I don't have an issue with the women's football team jackcass.

I only used Hawthorn as an example for Darky of a successful football team.......I don't want my team being involved in anything other than football.

How did Eddies plan go to become BIGGER than Manchester United??

Not suggesting you do.

Fair enough I was just suggesting that that very same successful team could well pursue a similar path so maybe we aren't too far off the mark.

Did anyone ever give it any credence?

BRING BACK THE TITANSView attachment 437152

Its the team the NBL deserves!!!!

No bring back...

220px-SE_Melbourne_Magic.jpg

or even...the Spectres. Those were the days. Actually that's a thought. If we were to do something like this, we should utilise the infrastructure already in place (ie. a strong SEABL team with ), ie. Nunawading.

Last edited:
Not too many short fat people succeed in soccer either.

Also, we're not talking about the NBA or EPL here, we're talking local grass roots participation. Most people at those levels choose a sport based on which sport they enjoy playing more. Height has very little to do with it.

Myopic? Your point is that less people choose to play basketball because each individual team has less players in it. That is nonsensical.
Not many fat people succeed in sports but allot more short people succeed in Soccer
Than they do Basketball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next stop Collingwood TV station!:D

I can see the interest in a T20 team if it was viable financially, though "Hit & Giggle" is not my cup of tea.

Basketball I don't follow at all, rather watch Baseketball. Apart from that, all I ever hear is teams folding, dropped from TV, back again, re-locating, re-branding etc. So I'd be very sceptical of what it would add.

I would love a Collingwood TV Station. Collingwood 24/7.

I’m personally not sure how I feel about a basketball team to be quite honest. The woman’s netball makes sense as football and netball go hand in hand at the grass roots level. But not sure about basketball. It’s worth pointing out that the article quoted that about half a dozen Victorian based AFL + the Storm in the NRL are interested in a basketball licence (plus Freo was mentioned for a WA team). So there must be something there from a business standpoint. And part of the attraction may be to get a summer sport team.

I’m prepared to take a wait and see approach to it. My gut feel is it will be a matter of timing as to whether it would succeed. If the men’s AFL program starts getting into finals and having success during and after the introduction thus eliminating the perception of a correlation between the new team and poor AFL performance then it’ll attract interest and support from fans. If we continue the form of the last few years then it will have negative effect on any new teams outside the VFLW and what we already have.

I’m against spreading our focus any further than it already is, but I can see value in having a basketball program that feeds basketball talent into our AFL program and in the reverse somewhere we can send players like Jessie White who aren’t really cut out for afl.

Mo

The A League, maybe. Soccer will continue to grow and will be the number 1 sport in Australia within fifteen years, probably less. Participation rates are already higher than they are for AFL and both rugby codes COMBINED and the gap will only widen in coming years. If the startup finances stack up, I feel that a Collingwood A League team would be good for the sport and for the club (particularly long term).
This is a joke right?

The A League, maybe. Soccer will continue to grow and will be the number 1 sport in Australia within fifteen years, probably less. Participation rates are already higher than they are for AFL and both rugby codes COMBINED and the gap will only widen in coming years. If the startup finances stack up, I feel that a Collingwood A League team would be good for the sport and for the club (particularly long term).

There are a tonne of Collingwood fans out there who love soccer but not the A League who would jump on board if there was a Magpies team in there. A Collingwood A League team would be strongly opposed by Victory and City, though, because I feel that a large chunk of their members would jump ship and join us if we had a club in the league.

NBL, bloody pointless. Nobody watches it, nobody goes and the media couldn't give two shits about it. Waste of time and a waste of money.

I feel exactly the same about the netball team. It was created because it is good PR for the club and makes us appear "inclusive", but in reality it will be nothing more than a long term money drain for the club.
Pretty much all the people I know who support soccer don't give a stuff about the A league so I don't think participation rate in soccer will be a good indicator on how popular the a league will be

There are a tonne of Collingwood fans out there who love soccer but not the A League who would jump on board if there was a Magpies team in there. A Collingwood A League team would be strongly opposed by Victory and City, though, because I feel that a large chunk of their members would jump ship and join us if we had a club in the league.

NBL, bloody pointless. Nobody watches it, nobody goes and the media couldn't give two shits about it. Waste of time and a waste of money.

I feel exactly the same about the netball team. It was created because it is good PR for the club and makes us appear "inclusive", but in reality it will be nothing more than a long term money drain for the club.

I agree, i'm surprised Ed didn't try get a an A league license as the league is trying to expand the teams. NBL is a struggle to watch....they basically give tickets away for the games.

This is a joke right?

No, it is not.

Pretty much all the people I know who support soccer don't give a stuff about the A league so I don't think participation rate in soccer will be a good indicator on how popular the a league will be

I support soccer and don't particularly like the A League, so I see your point. But, the fact is that the game is growing more than any other sport and attendances are increasing year on year in Melbourne.

Victory averaged 16,167 per game in year 1 of the A League. Last season, Victory and City averaged a combined 32,601 per game. That's greater than 100% attendance growth in a single city in 12 seasons, which is phenomenal. It is a clear sign of where people's interests are moving to.

That's now. Junior attendance rates are almost certain to ensure that over the next generation, soccer becomes one of, if not the, number one spectator sport in the country as well. If not, it will at least be a major competitor to AFL in most markets, eclipsing it in some.

Contrast this with NBL, which hasn't been relevant since the 90s. It is a peripheral sport in this country and not in the same bracket, regardless of whether some people in here prefer basketball to soccer. The fact is, a majority of people feel the other way, and the gap widens every year. All signs suggest that it will continue to do so.

I agree, i'm surprised Ed didn't try get a an A league license as the league is trying to expand the teams. NBL is a struggle to watch....they basically give tickets away for the games.

I think the initial cost is where it's seen as difficult, and initially it would be a risk. Over a generation, though, it would be a huge thing for the club.

Agree with you on NBL.

Junior attendance rates are almost certain to ensure that over the next generation, soccer becomes one of, if not the, number one spectator sport in the country as well. If not, it will at least be a major competitor to AFL in most markets, eclipsing it in some.
Umm I don't where you're getting your numbers from but the AFL is the 4th highest attended spectator sport in the world and you could argue would be no.1 if they had the same amount of games as those above it. This year we witnessed the highest ever attendance for a season 7 million plus. Sure participation rates are healthy for soccer in this country but not as healthy as the attendance rates for footy

Can’t believe no one has mentioned in this thread about the current Melbourne NBL team.

Melbourne United - they are owned by the current NBL executive chairman Larry Kestelman who also owns the entire league.

Kestelman only just recently rebranded the club in 2014 with the team colours being black and white.

Their is no chance the NBL are going to allow another Melbourne team to have the same colours as an existing franchise.

Their is no chance Collingwood establishing an NBL team with colours other than black and white.

It is not going to happen for these reasons, so we don’t need to worry about it.

Yeh, nah.

Only salvation is surely we would not take the greatest numb nuts of all time in andrew gaze as coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back