Prediction Possible pick swaps

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
Id be more interested in trading 14 and 17 to get into the top10but if we couldnt then id do that deal.

Don't' know why when the Top 30-35 players are all pretty descent this year.....The pick of the crop could come with a later pick & it wouldn't surprise me either.

Don't' know why when the Top 30-35 players are all pretty descent this year.....The pick of the crop could come with a later pick & it wouldn't surprise me either.

More needs there will be a lot of good players after 17 but a lot of them are defenders that we dont need and not mids or a ruck that we do.

Crow_68

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
How about -

GWS trade 6 and 2020 2nd for 17, 24 and 35 (extra 580 points. A bid at 3 wipes out those first two picks, but would completely wipe out 6)
Geelong trade 14, 17 and 24 for 4 and 2020 2nd
Crows trade 4 and 35 for 6 and 14

I’ve played around with a number of similar scenarios, incl:

Adelaide: gain 6 & 14, lose 4 & 28
Geelong: gain 4 & 28, lose 14, 17 & 24
GWS: gain 17 & 24, lose 6

Gives Adelaide 2 x first rounders
Gives Geelong a high enough pick to grab Flanders (if they are indeed keen on him)
Gives GWS 1,810 points instead of 1,751 for pick 6.

Geelong also unlikely to bid for Green at 4, likely Sydney bid at 5. Using 17 & 24 would give them back 48.

If GWS hold 6, Adelaide bid at 4, they would get back 62.

This obviously requires GWS to cut it’s losses, but they may just have to.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong

Gives Geelong a high enough pick to grab Flanders (if they are indeed keen on him)

Geelong also unlikely to bid for Green at 4, likely Sydney bid at 5. Using 17 & 24 would give them back 48.

Geelong would definately bid for Green IMO. It would be great if we could let Selwood retire on the wing/HFF and have Danger rest forwad more

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

Surely GWS could get more for 6 than 17 and 24?

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
More needs there will be a lot of good players after 17 but a lot of them are defenders that we dont need and not mids or a ruck that we do.

Why give up all those 3 picks for Jackson, when you can score Bryan or Comben for your last?

All of Cooper Stephens, Rivers, Schoenberg & Byrnes should also still be available at 14.

I can see any of Sharp, Williams ,Taheny & Taylor quite easily being the steal of this draft....They all have X-factor.

Why give up all those 3 picks for Jackson, when you can score Bryan or Comben for your last?

All of Cooper Stephens, Rivers, Schoenberg & Byrnes should also still be available at 14.

I can see any of Sharp, Williams ,Taheny & Taylor quite easily being the steal of this draft....They all have X-factor.

Because i dont rate Bryan or Comben as high as Jackson or those other mids as high as flanders kemp d stephens etc. Depends how you rate the talent really.

Question - if For example Adelaide bid on Green at 4, does GWS have the ability to trade its pick 6 in the two minute decision window before electing to match the bid, or are they locked into the picks they have at that time?
Great question. I suspect the AFL will make a rule up on the spot for this ine to help child #2.

The the answer is probably no at this point, but the rule will be changed in those 2 minutes

I'll have to look it up, but I clearly remember the afl saying this is allowed. Teams can 'trade down' straight after their draftee is bid on.

I guess this saves teams trading out of drafts on the chance it might be beneficial. Makes more sense to only downgrade if/when necessary.

Of course gws would need to have potential swaps lined up. The few minutes on the clock wouldn't really be long enough to manufacture a pick swap from scratch.

One obscure aspect is that clubs will be allowed to instigate trades immediately after a rival team has placed a bid on a father-son and academy prospect. However they would only have a short time to strike a deal.

Feb 24, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Because i dont rate Bryan or Comben as high as Jackson or those other mids as high as flanders kemp d stephens etc. Depends how you rate the talent really.

But the question still remains….Why blow all your early picks on acquiring a single player, when you can easily trade for a ruckman next year, or get a slightly less promising one with your last pick this year?....Especially considering you have all of Ablett, Selwood, Taylor & Hawkins approaching the end of their careers.

I'd be wanting to hold onto as many early picks as I could get. Instead of putting them all in the one basket.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Possibly, but only a handful of clubs have more chips and will be dependent on whether they are interested in moving up.

If GWS can’t trade up to 3 or 4, then only option is to maximise points for a Green bid.

Gold Coast would bite GWS’ hand off if they offered 6 for 15 and 20.

Port may do 12 and 18.

Cats could do 14 and 17.

Brisbane would do 16 and 21.

But the question still remains….Why blow all your early picks on acquiring a single player, when you can easily trade for a ruckman next year, or get a slightly less promising one with your last pick this year?....Especially considering you have all of Ablett, Selwood, Taylor & Hawkins approaching the end of their careers.

I'd be wanting to hold onto as many early picks as I could get. Instead of putting them all in the one basket.

Because i prefer quality over quantity.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
The only reason GWS should want to trade up to 3 or 4 is if they really want the 3rd or 4th best player. They can easily just downgrade 6 so it isn’t used in matching. Then hop back in to the first round if and when it suits them. So I don’t see how paying heaps for 3 or 4 makes sense unless they rate one player far higher in that range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TryAnHit

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
The only reason GWS should want to trade up to 3 or 4 is if they really want the 3rd or 4th best player. They can easily just downgrade 6 so it isn’t used in matching. Then hop back in to the first round if and when it suits them. So I don’t see how paying heaps for 3 or 4 makes sense unless they rate one player far higher in that range.
How do they guess the time to downgrade tho?

Once a bid has been placed on green they can no longer downgrade it...

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'll have to look it up, but I clearly remember the afl saying this is allowed. Teams can 'trade down' straight after their draftee is bid on.

I guess this saves teams trading out of drafts on the chance it might be beneficial. Makes more sense to only downgrade if/when necessary.

Of course gws would need to have potential swaps lined up. The few minutes on the clock wouldn't really be long enough to manufacture a pick swap from scratch.

What a crap rule. Aren't there already enough advantages in place with discounts and the access thing to start with!

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Gold Coast would bite GWS’ hand off if they offered 6 for 15 and 20.

Port may do 12 and 18.

Cats could do 14 and 17.

Brisbane would do 16 and 21.
Can GWS swap their future first round with GC future pick 11?

Pick 6 and future 1st round for pick 15, 20 and GCS future first pick 11. Look a lot better than the above. Look fair for both team don't need to bite each other off.

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Adelaides 37, 45 and 49 for Freos 22 and 69?

Extra 200 points for Freo, the 1st two picks will slide but 3rd should hold its ground.

Another high pick for Adelaide - 4 in the top 28 and 2 of the top 4 in the 2nd round, they tend to hold more value than the points attached to them. 69 just balances the points out a bit.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back