Prediction Possible pick swaps

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
You never know maybe the AFL changed its rules again without telling anyone.... Would that really shock anyone
Rookie upgrade can be done during or after the ND draft if the rookies is not on rookie list more than 2 years. I don't think AFL change the rule, just that people presume Port upgrade their players now instead of after the ND draft.
38 senior list and 6 rookies
Or
40 senior list and 4 rookies.
Is there any AFL rules that said you must upgrade players before the draft?

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You are spot on. 72 and 86 won't have any value in it, as for 67 and 68 they can always upgrade their rookie players after the draft, instead of upgrading them now. ( presume all of them only on rookie list less than 2 years)
He's not. It will be confirmed tomorrow but I'm pretty sure they have 6 free list spots not 8.
3 first rounders. Mead. 2 rookie upgrades.

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Rookie upgrade can be done during or after the ND draft if the rookies is not on rookie list more than 2 years. I don't think AFL change the rule, just that people presume Port upgrade their players now instead of after the ND draft.
38 senior list and 6 rookies
Or
40 senior list and 4 rookies.
Is there any AFL rules that said you must upgrade players before the draft?
As far as i am aware you need to use picks to upgrade rookies to the main list its what Geelong do

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
As far as i am aware you need to use picks to upgrade rookies to the main list its what Geelong do
Only if they are on rookie list more than 3 years. Who is the players Geelong upgrade,? How long they are on rookie list. Is Geelong planning to take the full 40 senior list or just 38 in the draft. Did Geelong have any academy or f/s players in this year draft that need point, if not why not upgrade now to fill up your list of 38 and 6 rookie, 39 and 4 rookie, 40 and 3 rookie, depend who is available that you think deserve a senior spot on the second day of draft night.

Last edited:

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
After going in with three first rounders last year, Port have done well going in with another three this year.

Yes they have, they will be bringing in 7 high picked players including Mead in 2 years. If they manage to get into the finals next year then it is a great trade

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
My post wasn’t really discussing the previous trade offer I suggested. It was more looking at the situation as a whole.

I’m pretty sure teams won’t value future second round picks highly at all.

Next years draft, we’re potentially looking at 5 academy bids in the first round, plus GC’s PP at 11, and another early bids in the second round for FS and academy kids.

It’s quite conceivable that the 5th pick in the second round is pushed back 7 or 8 spots.

And that’s not even factoring in possible compensation picks from next years trade period. Especially if a Crouch brother up and leaves an a big contract.

Fair enough. My response was mainly related to the trade idea.

Doing the maths something like Carlton's picks 43 + 57 for a future second would mean we'd go into next year with no deficit so it's seems possible.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Last year the hawks did three rookie upgrades. They also selected two players in the ND. Going into the draft they only had 4 picks. So that suggest that port will only be allowed to take 6 picks into the draft.
They don't even match their academy pick and got all the junk pick like Eagles this year. No first round, second Rd compare to Port. If I am hawthorn of course I upgrade to fill list spot, you either upgrade or draft pick after 40+.

Hawthorn last year first pick was pick 52. If they don't upgrade they needed to draft players 4 - 6 players from 60+ onward. They don't even have junk draft pick to match Essendon bid on mosquito and one of the fourth round used it on Scully.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
They don't even match their academy pick and got all the junk pick like Eagles this year. No first round, second Rd compare to Port. If I am hawthorn of course I upgrade to fill list spot, you either upgrade or draft pick after 40+.

Hawthorn last year first pick was pick 52. If they don't upgrade they needed to draft players 4 - 6 players from 60+ onward. They don't even have junk draft pick to match Essendon bid on mosquito and one of the fourth round used it on Scully.

I was just using the example to show that rookie upgrades aren’t considered vacant list spots. So port will only be able to take 6 picks into the draft.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I was just using the example to show that rookie upgrades aren’t considered vacant list spots. So port will only be able to take 6 picks into the draft.
Why can't we wait until Monday and confirm 6 or 8 pick, port can't do anything now, pick 68,69 don't deserve that much of our attention to be honest.

Last edited:

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Looking forwards to the Bulldogs handing over pick 13 (Will end up as 15) for our 2020 first...They'll need all the points they can muster in order to secure the next Buddy, who looms as the number 1 pick in 2020 already.
We'd risk actually downgrading that pick by doing a deal like that

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yeah I guess we are. The rules seem clear but its the afl so you never know.
I am sure if they only take 6 pick to the draft, clubs that need point for academy players or F/S would ask for their last two pick eg Fremantle or GWS, they also can't do much if nobody offer them future pick for 67 and 68.

Kreuuuzeurns

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Fair enough. My response was mainly related to the trade idea.

Doing the maths something like Carlton's picks 43 + 57 for a future second would mean we'd go into next year with no deficit so it's seems possible.

Unlikely as I believe we have 6 list spots, and will use 4 picks at the draft assuming Martin in the PSD and Gibbons upgrade.

I definitely see Freo doing a similar deal with another club to avoid a deficit, just not with the Blues.

Only if they are on rookie list more than 3 years. Who is the players Geelong upgrade,? How long they are on rookie list. Is Geelong planning to take the full 40 senior list or just 38 in the draft. Did Geelong have any academy or f/s players in this year draft that need point, if not why not upgrade now to fill up your list of 38 and 6 rookie, 39 and 4 rookie, 40 and 3 rookie, depend who is available that you think deserve a senior spot on the second day of draft night.

Upgrading Zuthrie and Simpson who have done their max 3 yrs as rookies.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
What you dont understand is all these selections have points attached to them and they are allowed to use to the points to match the bid for nead and will use the remaining to fill list spots.
I completely understand the picks have points attached, and they’ll use 3 picks to match the bid on Mead. That two of those picks will move to the back of the draft after matching the bid, and that Port will then pass on using those two picks and run with a 38 senior list spot. And hope to use one of those two extra rookie spots they now have to prelist young Burgoyne as a FS.

But I also understand the AFL’s rules, that teams can only take as many picks to the draft as they have list spots.

Port might have had 8 picks worth points, but they only have 6 available list spots, so can only take 6 picks to the draft, and because they didn’t trade the extra picks out before the Friday 5pm deadline, they lose them.

Pretty sure I have a good grasp of the situation.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
So port forfeited 66, 67 and 72. Surely they could have got something from them?
Probably only by downgrading another higher pick. Trade 12,66,67 to Geelong for 17, 36. Geelong might have accepted that. Or trade 18, 66,,67 to hawthorn for hawthorns 2020r1.

Last edited:

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The picks are gone. They forfeited 66, 67 and 72.
Those picks weren't worth anything other than as points. It was their third round picks they needed to trade to make the later picks count. If they'd traded these for a future second they would be in a much better position with their future picks. I reckon they just can't count good.

Back