Prediction Possible Positional Changes under Teague

Remove this Banner Ad

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Heath Buck touched on it a bit in his My Blue Heaven (E26, get around it) i.e. what we want to see/would like to see in terms of player changes (positional/focus) for the rest of the year under Teague?

- For me, I'd like to see us balance the side out a little (not so ******* tall)
- Trial a few guys more in the middle - Charlie, SOS, GIBBONS
- Return guys to their strongest position who're currently not i.e. Ed
- SPS and Fish to play a little freer and get some highlights going
- Forwards doing what they should be - leading, creating scoring opportunities, playing on instinct

Thoughts, Baggers?

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Heath Buck touched on it a bit in his My Blue Heaven (E26, get around it) i.e. what we want to see/would like to see in terms of player changes (positional/focus) for the rest of the year under Teague?

- For me, I'd like to see us balance the side out a little (not so f*** tall)
- Trial a few guys more in the middle - Charlie, SOS, GIBBONS
- Return guys to their strongest position who're currently not i.e. Ed
- SPS and Fish to play a little freer and get some highlights going
- Forwards doing what they should be - leading, creating scoring opportunities, playing on instinct

Thoughts, Baggers?
Nail above head, hit down.
Well said.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Would have loved to see Stocker released to midfield for a few quarters with Simpson back in the side. Shame he out injured.
I'd also at times see if both Marchbank and McGovern can take on roles of flexible swing men at both ends of ground.
Lochie kicking out or being the first to get ball from behind release I would trial too with him given a licence to use his running power from deep in defence.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
- O'Brien to an attacking wing role
- Fisher to an attacking high half-forward role
- Ed, Cuningham and Gibbons to rotate with each other
- Simpson and Thomas to give a licence to attack from HB if given the opportunity, with SPS looking to drop behind play (or play off HB)
- High tempo passing game to make use of our quick leading forwards, with an equally quick switch option through our running HBs/HFs and wingers
- Cripps, SPS, Walsh, Dow, Setterfield, etc, actually get to rest at/around FF if playing mainly midfield, and McGovern and Charlie to pick up the slack

Not all of that will work from day one, but they're the right moves to make.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
- O'Brien to an attacking wing role
- Fisher to an attacking high half-forward role
- Ed, Cuningham and Gibbons to rotate with each other
- Simpson and Thomas to give a licence to attack from HB if given the opportunity, with SPS looking to drop behind play (or play off HB)
- High tempo passing game to make use of our quick leading forwards, with an equally quick switch option through our running HBs/HFs and wingers
- Cripps, SPS, Walsh, Dow, Setterfield, etc, actually get to rest at/around FF if playing mainly midfield, and McGovern and Charlie to pick up the slack

Not all of that will work from day one, but they're the right moves to make.
Agree for most of these, Jimmae. But SPS off HB didn't look great on the weekend. If they wanted to go down that path, I suspect he needs to train there over off-season.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Like others

Charlie into the midfield PLEASE. He would be awesome

Gibbons on ball

SPS off HB

Thomas up forward. Can kick goals and position our young forwards

I’d really like to see Plowman on ball. Has played there and is a big body

Keen to see Stocker on ball. Bugger

Jack or McGovern down back and be more mobile up forward

Curnow tagging

Walsh spending time deep forward

Looking forward to seeing McKay & TDK as our key forwards

Murphy forward with LeBois

None really at this stage of the game. This change for changes sake is much too 'hero' for mine.
Whatever I liked before hasn't changed much I don't think -

Williamson on a wing.
O'Brien at half-back.

That's it. All this 'let's flip things on its head' may work once in a while but not the way it's being portrayed here.

Jan 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Set-up just tweaked a bit, but hold structure more.

Charlie to play roaming KPF. None of this onball rubbish.
McGovern to play deeper KPF
McKay to play deep KPF and 2nd ruck when required.
Fish and Cuningham to play as pacy forwards.
Samo in the guts and have a forward line in place for him to kick to so he doesn't 2nd guess every disposal before kicking it 6 metres.
Walsh on the wing, not in the guts yet.
Marchbank to play as the tall defender he is, not a spare picking up all different sorts.

That'll do for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t throw the whole side into disarray, keep most where they were and encourage them to play with freeedom, rather than worrying about mistakes.

A forward structure that takes advantage of our aerial capabilities would be nice.

Gotta start getting first hands on the ball and spreading the players to find space.

The Bighouse

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
- Fisher more up forward in combo with DC
- Daisy up forward
- Gibbons more time in the midfield to assess
- A functioning forward line with cohesion and talls running to scoring positions, also with greater pressure applied
- Schumacher (HBF or wing) to be viewed along with Lebois in the FP if form warrants
- Willo back healthy
- Lang, Kennedy, Dow to find some form or fixes to their woes (kicking)
- LOB on the wing
- Stocker in the midfield
- TDK to get a run
- Jonesy back & Marchy to get serious
- Macreadie also needs to be assessed again

A lot of names to go into the 22 out on the park.

Attacking play, taking the game on and some confidence hopefully makes a difference for our remaining games. A massive improvement in skills wouldn’t go astray (which could partly be confidence based).

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
- Fisher more up forward in combo with DC
- Daisy up forward
- Gibbons more time in the midfield to assess
- A functioning forward line with cohesion and talls running to scoring positions, also with greater pressure applied
- Schumacher (HBF or wing) to be viewed along with Lebois in the FP if form warrants
- Willo back healthy
- Lang, Kennedy, Dow to find some form or fixes to their woes (kicking)
- LOB on the wing
- Stocker in the midfield
- TDK to get a run
- Jonesy back & Marchy to get serious
- Macreadie also needs to be assessed again

A lot of names to go into the 22 out on the park.

Attacking play, taking the game on and some confidence hopefully makes a difference for our remaining games. A massive improvement in skills wouldn’t go astray (which could partly be confidence based).
He honest, BH, were you that kid at Christmas that would sit on Santa's lap for 20 minutes outlining all of your demands?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
Fisher, Murphy, SPS more time as forwards, Thomas a consideration too

Cuners more time around the middle

LOB, 2 way running wingman, Walsh on the other side. When Willo returns, play him on a wing, push LOB to a high half forward

McKay deep, Charlie and Mitch roaming

Newman as the attacking HB

More chip and go possession, then once we break the defensive 3rd, carry the ball with weave, run, handball. Kicking from 30 metres out of forward 50 to any leading forward to the fat side

From centre bounces, one handball and then either kick to a leading forward, or hitting the hotspot, 20 metres out

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
I would be happy to see Charlie parked on a wing for half a game then throw him forward in the secondhalf . And LoB on the other wing all game.
I dont want LoB in the backline because its a waste of his talents. He needs space to run with the ball.
Fisher as a forward was something I was hoping for after pre-season.

1. Fisher, Murphy, SPS more time as forwards, Thomas a consideration too
2. Cuners more time around the middle
3.LOB, 2 way running wingman, Walsh on the other side. When Willo returns, play him on a wing, push LOB to a high half forward
4.McKay deep, Charlie and Mitch roaming
5.Newman as the attacking HB
6.More chip and go possession, then once we break the defensive 3rd, carry the ball with weave, run, handball. Kicking from 30 metres out of forward 50 to any leading forward to the fat side
7.From centre bounces, one handball and then either kick to a leading forward, or hitting the hotspot, 20 metres out

1. No choice when we don't have any dangerous smalls.
2. Cuningham is the one small/medium capable of playing forward but now we want to re-invent him.......again?
3. LOB won't make for a half-forward. Half-back for me.
4. Yes please.
5. Sure, until we find something better.
6. Anything but what we had.
7. Yes please.

Looking forward to see how the players go freed up, more-so than for any positional changes.

Nov 13, 2015
In Transit
AFL Club
Carlton
1. No choice when we don't have any dangerous smalls.
2. Cuningham is the one small/medium capable of playing forward but now we want to re-invent him.......again?
3. LOB won't make for a half-forward. Half-back for me.
4. Yes please.
5. Sure, until we find something better.
6. Anything but what we had.
7. Yes please.

Looking forward to see how the players go freed up, more-so than for any positional changes.

LOB & Cuners played this week's team lineup in those exact roles as juniors. Need more speed around the middle, need better entries from high half forwards, both players tick those boxes

SammaGilberto

Premiership Player
Suspended
May 2, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
Good job on Stants getting the promotion to Assistant Coach, looks to be helping out in the midfield. I think this can go in here, I'd say Teaguey had a say in it.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
For this week, or the season as a whole?

Fisher and Cunners to split a midfield and forward role between them.
SPS sitting off his man out the back of the contest for the quick handball, or to shut down an opposition clearance.
Backline to continue as is, they've been fine, maybe Willo for Newman now that we've got the experience of Simmo back.
Key forwards to continue rotating between deep, leading and decoy.
Silvagni at every stoppage forward of centre.
Gibbons through the midfield.
Walsh at the stoppages.
Kreuzer and Cripps do what they do best.
Ed and LOB to start on the wings, with Ed moving to the centre square if tagging duties are required.
Daisy the "utility" to plug gaps as required.
Newman, Setterfield and Dow on notice, all have good moments but would be first in line if anyone from the NBs demands selection.

Things I noticed last week:

Walsh loves positioning himself in the corridor - outstanding. Works hard to present a shorter target and likes to have the full field available to him with ball in hand.
Ed does what Walsh does, but boundary side. Smart, given his disposal isn't as good and he's more likely to go down the line.
Key forwards got a bit clumped in the first half, but found some synergy as the game progressed. Love to see them blocking for eachother rather than all flying for the ball.
The backline, and in particular Marchbank, Cas and Weiters, look unbeatable when the ball comes in high. Pressure from the midfield, and implied pressure on the scoreboard, is gold.
Charlie loves to play on, but needs to learn to look first. Couple of turnovers, and would have cost himself a goal if the umpire was paying attention when he went to play on after marking in the goalsquare.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back