Rumour Possible recruiting targets

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

if he does leave Carlton(which i don't think he will), he's pretty much a certainty to go to Adelaide because
a) they have money floating around from a bloke named Tippett.
b) they need a player of his ilk.
c) they will need some good publicity come the end of another season
d) they will claim it as another monsterous victory over the vaguely interested Port Adelaide, consolidating them as the club for all South Australians.

if he does leave Carlton(which i don't think he will), he's pretty much a certainty to go to Adelaide because
b) they need a player of his ilk.
c) they will need some good publicity come the end of another season
d) they will claim it as another monsterous victory over the vaguely interested Port Adelaide, consolidating them as the club for all South Australians.
I think they've probably spent a chunk of that money on Betts and Podsiadly. As for reasons (b) to (d), I highly doubt Gibbs cares about feeding the Crows' desperate search for relevance, identity and good news. I agree with you that he'll stay at Carlton.

There is a salary cap. There is also a salary floor which is 95% of the salary cap. This idea that clubs have these huge war chests to poach players is largely hokum. Unless they're Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would've thought Betts and JPod would have got a fair chunk of that.

i don't think Podsiadly is on enough to really rock the Salary cap and from memory Betts was heavily front loaded. Adelaide still have alot of money, thats why they overpaid Betts to start with. don't forget the long term plans for Bock, Davis, Gunston etc have really shortened their spread of money. as far as top end spending it would all be with Danger, Sloane + Thompson and Thompson is on his last legs.

There is a salary cap. There is also a salary floor which is 95% of the salary cap. This idea that clubs have these huge war chests to poach players is largely hokum. Unless they're Sydney.

Imagine the crows meltdown if he went to Sydney, do it Bryce!

I would be surprised if we wanted him badly enough to consider paying what he is likely to cost. The Carlton board seem to think he will stay and may sign fairly soon. I hope he does otherwise we are going to have to suffer through months of the local media running with the " which club will he choose?" a la the Polec saga.

Absolutely worth the money to get him. Play him as a pure midfielder as opposed to making him play 8 different positions every week and he will turn our midfield from potentially very good to potentially elite. Make it happen Petr Reard

He would have been gone for two whole seasons, they signed Betts on a $500k a year deal and signed Talia, Lynch, Jacobs, Otten, Brown, Crouch & Wright who all would have commanded much larger contracts than their prior one. The money freed from Tippett leaving is long gone.

He would have been gone for two whole seasons, they signed Betts on a $500k a year deal and signed Talia, Lynch, Jacobs, Otten, Brown, Crouch & Wright who all would have commanded much larger contracts than their prior one. The money freed from Tippett leaving is long gone.

Dangerfield's next contract will be a whopper too when the cashed up Vic clubs come calling.

I don't think Gibbs will leave Carlton, if he did we'd put in a bid but probably won't go as hard as Adelaide.

I thought it was strange they came out so early talking about poaching Gibbs & Frawley, we should keep our cards close to our chest like we did with Monfries.

Clearly Polec is now writing articles.
Pretty sure Brodie Smith is coming out of contract last signed a 2 year deal in 2012, he's the player Jared should be getting in the ear of about a move to Alberton.

With all their free agent interest plus big contracts to Crouch, Tex, Danger & Sloane he might not be valued as high to them as he would be with us.

I am sure I have commented on this in another Gibbs to port thread. Not happening. Have talked to people very close to Bryce and he will not be leaving Melbourne.

An odd time to start this. And with all the possibles out there is Gibbs really what we would be after? Get me Shannon Hurn from West Coast (I don't know where his contract is), he is an SA boy and his uncle is a Port fanatic I often bump into at Power and Maggies matches.

When has a high-profile South Australian that Carlton have wanted to keep ever left?

Sticks, Bradley, McKay, Camporeale.

Peter Motley and Mark Naley are still very much Carlton men despite their relatively fleeting times there.

They clearly look after their blue chips from this part of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back