Mega Thread Possible trades in 2015 for the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say that I am not liking the fact that a few clubs leap-frogged us in the draft order. It will severely limit our options. Carlton has 3 picks before our 2nd selection and 2 before our 1st and will be looking for midfielders and forwards. Melbourne and Essendon both have 2 picks before our first pick.

We could be on the ourside looking in and taking the scraps. Not a great outcome for us!
Agree with this. Campbell's Chunky thoughts ? have we got 13 players who we rate highly ?

Us.

Picks 7 and 8 which would have been used to secure academy players have now gone to Melbourne and Carlton.

Spot on.

I don't like this playstation trades stuff that favours shitpit clubs like Mellbourne and enables them to weasel their way up the order. It does effectively change a club's position in the draft order as the recruiters know well in advance who the Academy/FS selections are and would just see them as "unavailable" picks and move on to seeing who else they can get. This system just allows a club with a whole bunch of average picks to get an unfair headstart on the remaining talent and leap frog other clubs.

This whole system was just a whole over-reaction to the Isaac Heeney scenario.

I hope there is a summary of the next year pick swaps, cause I'm completely confused who's got what next year.
Edit - Found 1

2016 DRAFT SELECTIONS (A-Z)
Adelaide - no future picks
Brisbane Lions - no future picks
Carlton - no future picks
Collingwood - round-two selection (received from St Kilda via trade for Nathan Freeman)
Essendon - no future picks
Fremantle - no future picks
Geelong - round-three selection (received from Brisbane Lions via a trade for Josh Walker and Jarrad Jansen); round-five selection (received from GWS via a trade for Steve Johnson)
Gold Coast - round-one selection (received from Melbourne in an exchange of picks); round-two selection (received from Richmond as part of Charlie Dixon trade); round-two selection (received from Port Adelaide as part of Charlie Dixon trade)
Greater Western Sydney - round-one selection (received from Collingwood via a trade for Adam Treloar); round-one selection (received from Carlton via a trade for Lachie Plowman, Jed Lamb, Andrew Phillips and Liam Sumner; received by Carlton from Geelong via a trade for Lachie Henderson); round-two selection (received from Adelaide via a trade for Curtly Hampton)
Hawthorn - no future picks
Melbourne - no future picks
North Melbourne - no future picks
Port Adelaide - no future picks
Richmond - no future picks
Sydney Swans - no future picks
St Kilda - no future picks
West Coast - no future picks
Western Bulldogs - no future picks

GWS hoping that Collingwood, Geelong and Adelaide all miss the finals next year!

GC hoping that Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Richmond all miss the finals. GC could get pick 1 next year if Melbourne get the spoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This whole academy pick bidding set up is worse than the old scheme.

It was bad before where one of the NSW/QLD teams could get a gun youngster for pick 17. This new system they only have to give up a bunch of chaff picks to make up the points.

Not really. You need to give up a heck of a lot of picks to make up the points for a top 5 pick. You'd need a heap of 2nd and 3rd round picks to make up the difference.

Already have 3 first rounders and 2 second rounders in a great draft. Not to mention what they'll receive for McCarthy next year.

Scary.
This seems the way with GWS. High end draft picks used on players who leave after 2-3 years for more high end draft picks who leave after 2-3 years for high end draft picks. Long may the revolving door continue.

I have to say that I am not liking the fact that a few clubs leap-frogged us in the draft order. It will severely limit our options. Carlton has 3 picks before our 2nd selection and 2 before our 1st and will be looking for midfielders and forwards. Melbourne and Essendon both have 2 picks before our first pick.

We could be on the ourside looking in and taking the scraps. Not a great outcome for us!
How is it any different to what it was before? Previously, there were 8 picks to be made before our pick #9. Now, there are 8 picks to be made before our pick #9. The only difference is the Academy selections.

It really doesn't matter who's making the selections, it's still the same number of players being chosen ahead of us.

At this stage, I reckon we might jag Milera with 9 and one of H McKay or Burton with 13. Lot of water to go under the bridge between now and draft day though. Maybe Curnow slides and maybe we like him. Maybe Hibberd is an option at 13. Maybe we decide to go safe and take Collins with one of the picks. Who knows. Francis isn't making it to 9 I know that much.

Overall, I'd personally grade our trade period a 'B'. I'd have given us an A if we brought in a best 18 genuine midfielder to 'replace' Dangerfield (especially considering Thommo probably only has 15-20 games left in him) but we weren't able to jag a Parker or Neale, and we didn't land a solid B grader such as Redden either. I'm not fussed over Aish - would rather not have him.

I'm not a huge fan of Hampton or Seedsman, but neither cost us much so the trades are neither here nor there for me. Plus, both of them are the sort of players who can / will force VB and Mackay out of the 22 so that's a positive.

I love the fact that we have two top 15 picks. Dean Gore is meh but has some nice attributes - his acquisition has effectively forced Wright to be delisted - again, a positive.

The only thing that really vaulted us from a C- type grade up to a B was the Menzel trade, which was nothing short of theft. I absolutely love ths deal, and it somehow ended up working for the other clubs too! Carlton on-traded the pick and ended up with 5 players (including Kerridge) for Menzel so they'll be happy if 2-3 of those become solid players for them. GWS offloaded blokes who were excess to their requirements and gained valuable academy points. Win-win-win.

I'll wait with interest to see what we do to free up spots for these 2 live picks. Clearly delisting Wright is step 1, but step 2 appears to be one of: a) delisting another player with a year left on their contract (Lowden by far the most likely) or b) NOT upgrading one of O'Brien or Kelly, despite them already signing multi-year deals which are pretty much exclusively offered to senior players.

Personally I'd ditch Lowden. O'Brien has already moved ahead of him anyway. Upgrade ROB and chuck a new ruckman on the rookie list.

So that leaves us with.

OUT
Dangerfield, Reilly, JPod, Siggins, Martin, and Kerridge (6)

IN
Menzel, Seedsman, Hampton, Gore (4)

Picks
9, 13, 71, 89, 108

Looking like Wright will be delisted:
3 Positions.

Will we delist someone else, not upgrade both ROB & Kelly (but just 1)?

We will definitely go in with 2 picks.

Delist Wright. Use picks 9 and 13. Upgrade Kelly. Leave ROB on the rookie list.

Gold Coast & GWS in a very good position for next year's draft.
They can pick up another batch of highly rated youngsters, ready to offload for more picks in the future

GWS hoping that Collingwood, Geelong and Adelaide all miss the finals next year!

GC hoping that Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Richmond all miss the finals. GC could get pick 1 next year if Melbourne get the spoon.
Ummm... no. Didn't the AFL also introduce a system, whereby clubs don't lose their 1st round pick if it ends up being in the top 3-4?

As things stand, Adelaide has a bit of a list management problem on their hands.
  • They currently have 2 list vacancies. Presumably Wright will be delisted, creating a 3rd vacancy.
  • They have picks 9 & 13, plus 2 rookie upgrades (O'Brien and Kelly).
Four does not go into three.

They can no longer trade a player out, nor can they do a pick swap, trading 9 & 13 for something higher. We're stuck with what we have in that regard.

They have 2 options -
  • Delist a contracted player (Lowden, Lyons, Grigg, ... ?)
  • Only upgrade 1 of the 2 rookies.
I bet they're regretting the decision to hand Grigg a 1-year "dead man walking" contract right about now. If they had waited a bit longer, then their problem would be easily solved. They really should have waited until after the trading period ended before making a decision on his contract.

As things stand, Adelaide has a bit of a list management problem on their hands.
  • They currently have 2 list vacancies. Presumably Wright will be delisted, creating a 3rd vacancy.
  • They have picks 9 & 13, plus 2 rookie upgrades (O'Brien and Kelly).
Four does not go into three.

They can no longer trade a player out, nor can they do a pick swap, trading 9 & 13 for something higher. We're stuck with what we have in that regard.

They have 2 options -
  • Delist a contracted player (Lowden, Lyons, Grigg, ... ?)
  • Only upgrade 1 of the 2 rookies.
I bet they're regretting the decision to hand Grigg a 1-year "dead man walking" contract right about now. If they had waited a bit longer, then their problem would be easily solved. They really should have waited until after the trading period ended before making a decision on his contract.

ROB will stay on the rookie list.

Shaw is the one we should have delisted (or at least demoted to the rookie list). Still can't believe they gave him a two year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back