Opinion Possible Twilight GF

Remove this Banner Ad

free at last

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
south of lat 32
AFL Club
Fremantle
What are fellow freo folks opinion on a possible twilight GF starting in 2017? Personally ,if the AFL are going to go for this time slot, they may as well just go for a night GF straight up or just leave it as is IMO

What are fellow freo folks opinion on a possible twilight GF starting in 2017? Personally ,if the AFL are going to go for this time slot, they may as well just go for a night GF straight up or just leave it as is IMO
They could play it on a Tuesday at 8am for all I care as long as we win the bloody thing.

For WA time I think it's great, can get the BBQ done and dusted before kick off rather than scrambling to cook the snags and steaks in 20 minutes at half time

Definitely better for us/me if it's started later! Some disciplined beer drinking would be required from me if it was a night GF.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the GF is to stay sat arvo as part of the new $2.5b tv deal.

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the GF is to stay sat arvo as part of the new $2.5b tv deal.
A TWILIGHT Grand Final could be introduced as early as 2017 with the AFL Commission split on whether to move the premiership decider from its traditional afternoon timeslot, League CEO Gillon McLachlan says.

Channel Seven retained the exclusive rights to broadcast the Grand Final in the AFL's new $2.5 billion broadcast rights deal announced on Tuesday.

Channel Seven chairman Kerry Stokes said the network had suggested to the AFL during negotiations that a twilight Grand Final would attract higher ratings than an afternoon game, but had not demanded a timeslot change as part of the new deal.

"I can tell you this year will be a day Grand Final and I can't imagine there not being one the year after that.

"But you can't rule it out (from 2017)."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-19/commission-split-on-twilight-grand-final-mclachlan
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-19/commission-split-on-twilight-grand-final-mclachlan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kerry Stokes' excuse is stupid. It is already the most watched game, people are going to watch it either way as there will always be people working and the majority of sporting codes don't play on that weekend.

It's not stupid, he's right. More people would watch a twilight or night grand final.

It may inconvenience you personally, but you're going to watch it no matter when it's on.

It's not stupid, he's right. More people would watch a twilight or night grand final.

It may inconvenience you personally, but you're going to watch it no matter when it's on.
It doesn't inconvenience me but the logic makes no sense. It is already the most watched program each year on Australian TV. Last year it had 4 million watching it. The only time it usually gets beaten is an Olympic year. It is a well known event. If people want to watch it, people will watch it. Be it 2am or 10pm. His logic is that of an imbecile and given what Channel 7 has produced, not surprised.

It doesn't inconvenience me but the logic makes no sense. It is already the most watched program each year on Australian TV. Last year it had 4 million watching it. The only time it usually gets beaten is an Olympic year. It is a well known event. If people want to watch it, people will watch it. Be it 2am or 10pm. His logic is that of an imbecile and given what Channel 7 has produced, not surprised.

No, his logic is that of someone that understands people's viewing habits. He's the chairman of a f**king media corporation, it's his job to know stuff like that.

More people will watch the grand final in a later slot. It doesn't matter how many people watch it now. Whatever that number is, more would have watched those games if it started a few hours later.

Don't you wonder why 7 put their prime shows on at 7:30 or so? And usually put some s**t repeat movie at noon?

People in traditional footy states would watch it whenever even if it was on at 5am, it's more about reaching people in northern states that are far more indifferent to the code and are more likely to have a look if it is on in a prime time slot.

Heck even I've missed a large part of the GF a couple of times because I've had to be on site on a Saturday.

No, his logic is that of someone that understands people's viewing habits. He's the chairman of a f**king media corporation, it's his job to know stuff like that.

More people will watch the grand final in a later slot. It doesn't matter how many people watch it now. Whatever that number is, more would have watched those games if it started a few hours later.

Don't you wonder why 7 put their prime shows on at 7:30 or so? And usually put some s**t repeat movie at noon?
If you were talking about a non-weekend game and a random game, yes I would agree with you that a twilight game would be more watched. However this is the grand final. If people want to watch it, they will. If they don't, they won't. People plan the GF weeks out on what they will be doing unless they are working.

That is how a game like that works and Stokes' logic is as flawed as his s**t reality TV shows.

If you were talking about a non-weekend game and a random game, yes I would agree with you that a twilight game would be more watched. However this is the grand final. If people want to watch it, they will. If they don't, they won't. People plan the GF weeks out on what they will be doing unless they are working.

That is how a game like that works and Stokes' logic is as flawed as his s**t reality TV shows.

Rubbish. The people that plan it weeks out are the sort of people that watch the footy every weekend. A huge chunk of the grand final audience are people that would barely watch the footy all year.
There are plenty of extra people that would watch the grand final if it was on when they usually watch TV, i.e prime time. Hell, Saturday has become a working day for a huge number now that are incapable of watching it. Nowhere near as many are working on Saturday night.

I don't know if you follow the TV ratings for AFL, but Saturday afternoon is by far the lowest rating timeslot for 7. For whatever reason, people just aren't watching TV then.

Exactly. My mates don't watch much footy all year, but we all gather at someones house with a BBQ and beer and watch the game. Some of them haven't watched a game since last years GF. Prime time on Saturday is called DEAD TV. It is dead TV for a reason, why do you think during summer there is absolutely nothing on? Because no one watches Saturday night TV! If the GF was on Saturday night it would be the same as Saturday afternoon, people will watch it because they want to watch it. Your logic is so bad is not even funny.

Exactly. My mates don't watch much footy all year, but we all gather at someones house with a BBQ and beer and watch the game. Some of them haven't watched a game since last years GF. Prime time on Saturday is called DEAD TV. It is dead TV for a reason, why do you think during summer there is absolutely nothing on? Because no one watches Saturday night TV! If the GF was on Saturday night it would be the same as Saturday afternoon, people will watch it because they want to watch it. Your logic is so bad is not even funny.

I agree that Saturday night is the worst night of the week for TV viewers. But we're not talking about moving the grand final from Monday or Tuesday night to Saturday night.

I'm still struggling to understand your logic. Saturday afternoon is better for TV viewers than Saturday night because......um.....what? Your logic that 'people that want to watch will watch' can be applied to every single TV show ever broadcast. There will be people that will watch the grand final if it's on when they watch TV, but wouldn't go out of their way to watch it. I don't mind the argument that the AFL shouldn't really give a rats about those people anyway, but you're fairly unique in that you seem to deny that such people exist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back