Possibly The Most Underatered Player Of The Modern Era

Remove this Banner Ad

David Hale

Three-time premiership ruckman, once kicked eight goals against the Cats down at Kardinia Park, led the North Melbourne goal-kicking in 2008, and the last man ever subbed off the ground in an AFL match.
I remember that game at Kardinia park, apart from those 8 goals he didn't have a great game.

burgoyne is overrated if anything. is obviously a great player but is talked about as if he's consistently dominating games ala dangerfield, ablett, etc
inb4 'he's won four flags'
Crows fan....

He's a legend. Deal with it. The most successful AFL player. Ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s my all time favourite Cat, so not by me! I’d hope Chappy is regarded externally as in the best handful or two of modern day half forwards. Maybe I’m wrong.
Chappy has become underrated since he retired. Was rated as one of the best small forwards of the modern era when he played but his name never gets brought up now. Yet people bring up bloody milne who wasnt even in chapmans league as a player.

Dew was that bloody good port player. He is not underrated at all let alone the most underrated.
Was watching AFL highlights on utube last night, that goal he kicked as a Port player is probably the best goal I've even seen, mind-boggling how he kicked that, I rate it higher than the Daicos goal.

Not being able to push blokes in the back anymore ended his career..

He gave up his football career to care for his extremely ill wife. I’ll be polite and assume you didn’t know that.

Was watching AFL highlights on utube last night, that goal he kicked as a Port player is probably the best goal I've even seen, mind-boggling how he kicked that, I rate it higher than the Daicos goal.
He was an unbelievable goal kicker. Could launch them from 65m easily on the run. But that was his thing. He didnt get much of the pill.

Bullshiit, mate

I've never seen anyone crap about Burgoyne like they do for Dangerfield, Ablett, etc. I've never seen anyone put him higher than twentysomething in their Top 50 lists.

Overrated, my arse. Showing your ignorance.

Burgoyne ranks with John Platten and ahead of Darren Jarman as the greatest mature age recruit I've ever seen come to Hawthorn. One of the best big game players I've ever seen and a vital cog in Hawthorn's premiership hat trick. He was like a brick wall at half back, but he was regularly shifted into the centre or swung forward and won us the game. Not many players can do that. He rarely if ever made the headlines. Absolute quiet achiever who performed every week.

He was probably Port's best player for a few years there after Tredrea got injured. He was drawing Chris Judd comparisons for his silky skill and explosive bursts from the stoppages. It was only knee problems which slowed him down and prevented him from continuing his role as a superstar midfielder.

Champion of the game.

I wouldn't say he was underrated. I think most people acknowledge him.

He doesn't have the league accolades (one-time All Australian, when he in his early 20s), or the club accolades (one third place in Hawthorn's B&F in eight years, once fifth and that's it), to back up his reputation. Alongside Platten and Jarman and I'm assuming ahead of Tom Mitchell and Gary Buckenara? OK, then.

Of course he's a terrific player and if he's around the 6th-10th best player in your side, you've probably got a great side. If he's one of your top three, you're probably not going very far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back