Autopsy Post 2021 Grand Final Western Bulldogs game review, the good the bad and the ugly, come talk about it here!

Remove this Banner Ad

footscray1973

Premiership Player
May 17, 2004
Pepperland
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Blokes a tall spud
The sooner we accept it the better
Wow, unusually harsh from you. But quite possibly accurate. He just lacks intensity, and as I've posted several times this year, I don't think he will ever be a ruckman, he's just a midfielder who had a growth spurt. Will take a huge call from Power/Bevo to trade him out, but wouldn't be entirely surprised if he is not a Bulldog next year.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I hope this doesn't sound negative but I'm generally interested as to what you think it was if it wasn't primarily the ruck and centre set up?

We just let them walk it out of the centre almost identical to what happened in the R21 Essendon game.

I also reckon our forward entries were generally poor especially in the first quarter.
The centre clearances was a massive part of it, but the fact our mids couldn’t adapt (we haven’t had a number 1 ruck all year so we should be used to it), not tagging Petracca and some absolutely horrible defensive efforts were all factors.

halfback dasher

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2008
lilydale
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man city, Green Bay Packers , Utah
Just read some stuff on the Dee’s board from some of you doggies fans ...ALL CLASS👍👍
Cry and wonder what if for a day or two then I’m sure you will drag ya selves off the canvas , work some magic during trade period and be ready to go again in 2022 .
Great yr ......
And sh*t what I wouldn’t give up for the Bont .....#star

doggy heaven

Debutant
Aug 16, 2009
mooroolbark
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We choked, no doubt about it.

We had a hand on the cup and Bont was set for the Norm smith after taking control of the 2nd quarter.

3 goals in 2 minutes was a disaster, how the fu** it got worse from there is inexcusable.

I just don’t know what else to say, we absolutely stopped and then embarrassed ourselves. 12+ goal loss has now set us back a few years from what could have been a dynasty.
Easy... Crap coaching

Oliver Gigacz

Premium Platinum
May 14, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The centre clearances was a massive part of it, but the fact our mids couldn’t adapt (we haven’t had a number 1 ruck all year so we should be used to it), not tagging Petracca and some absolutely horrible defensive efforts were all factors.
True, I'm shocked we didn't at least try and tag Petracca and even Oliver in the first 20 minutes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mofra

Dec 6, 2005
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Coney Island Warriors
Wow, unusually harsh from you. But quite possibly accurate. He just lacks intensity, and as I've posted several times this year, I don't think he will ever be a ruckman, he's just a midfielder who had a growth spurt. Will take a huge call from Power/Bevo to trade him out, but wouldn't be entirely surprised if he is not a Bulldog next year.
I don't want to trade him out. He's not a first ruck, and not a 1st KPF, but forward/rucks are bloody hard to find.
Our midfield set up was poor in the 3rd and it killed us.
They have genuine intercepting KPDs so we had to change our gameplan for that. Our defenders are battlers so their forwards could play their natural game.

We knew going in ruck was a concern and the second KPD position too. Tonight just reinforced what basically everyone on here has been saying for months anyway.

We got the no 1 draft pick last year (KPF) and a top 3 draft pick this year (KPD). Tonight was horrible but let's not lose sight of how close we are to fixing our issues.

Selim

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can we calm down on the whole "this has set us back years" calls? Absolute rubbish.
like if you look at the recent track record Crows in 2017, Dees in 2018, Gws in 2019 all didnt make finals the next year its a fair call i hope its wrong and it could just be the dead inside of me talking but im not overally optimistic

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
True, I'm shocked we didn't at least try and tag Petracca and even Oliver in the first 20 minutes.
It’s easy sitting from the couch, but at least go defensive after they kicked those 2 directly from clearances.

It’s a concern when our midfield is meant to be our best weapon but can be so easily beaten like that.

CarnTheScray

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Just don’t want us to piss away perfect opportunities to win flags.

Id like to think that really the travel just caught up to us in the third but the problem is bigger than that tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad