Autopsy Post 2021 Grand Final Western Bulldogs game review, the good the bad and the ugly, come talk about it here!

Remove this Banner Ad

When we look at our side, except for Baz, Treloar and probably VDM we dont have much pace through the middle to back half of the ground. Hunter, Macrae, Libba, Dunks and even Bont to an extent are fantastic endurance athletes but not gifted with pure pace. Could we afford to lose one of them in a trade to land someone worthwhile? Say hunter for example, good player, plays a role on the wing and will get his possessions week in week out. Are they the type of possessions that we need? Majority come along the boundary and its very rare that he breaks lines. Is he good enough to play another 100-150 games, absolutely he is. But by putting him on the trade table and seeing what we could land in return be a bad thing? We could afford to lose someone like him.

They did the same to Geelong (yes, I know, Geelong...) but I said at the time it was poor behaviour. What's wrong with their leadership? It's inevitably gonna turn around and bite them, and soon I hope.
Watching this has my blood boiling, surely bevo uses this, just show the boys once and tell them HUNT!

This was something that really spiked my curiosity (and I may be completely wrong here) but it looked like a number of the Dogs players heads started to drop a bit around that time. I'm not saying they threw the towel in but there wasn't the same level of desperation as we'd seen in the second quarter that got them back into the match.

Some players looked like they weren't chasing as hard as they should have been which in turn, didn't put the ball carrier under any pressure at all. This seemed to be (from my observations on the TV that is) the breaking point in the match and I really wonder what may have happened had they been able to match that level of intensity at that time. We've all seen teams mount comebacks but if the team in front matches it for long enough, the losing team runs out of puff and belief and in turn, falls away.

Was it because the Dogs players were a little more tired than expected or just trying to conserve energy to see out the whole match ??

To be fair, the Dogs players were given a gruelling round-the-world trip for a finals campaign so maybe it just got the better of them ??

It must be said, that was the first & only time this year that I have seen them do it but naturally, I don't watch all of your games given I follow another club.
There was a few games where we got absolutely smashed in short periods out of the middle and did nothing to stem the tide

Richmond early in the season in the 3rd quarter and Essendon round 21 come to mind

There was a few games where we got absolutely smashed in short periods out of the middle and did nothing to stem the tide

Richmond early in the season in the 3rd quarter and Essendon round 21 come to mind

If that's the case, then its got to be more of a coaching issue more than anything else.

You do need your onfield leaders to be aware of the situation and yell at the other players to get tougher & tighter too, leading by example at that time doesn't hurt either.

If that's the case, then its got to be more of a coaching issue more than anything else.

You do need your onfield leaders to be aware of the situation and yell at the other players to get tougher & tighter too, leading by example at that time doesn't hurt either.
I'd say half coaching/personnel, half onfield leadership

If we had a dominant ruckman it could be a different story though

Needed an additional 12 hours to provide further comment on the game.

Still shattered. Personally I’m not in Victoria so it’s been easier for me to distract myself from the result, so I really feel for everyone on here.

normally I’d give a more detailed analysis on the game but I can’t bring myself to re-watch a single moment of that game. Not sure I ever will.

I really don’t see a resolution to what happened last night. Certainly there’s no obvious thoughts that come to mind that actually can be actioned. Sure I’ve lamented Cordys selection but how much does that stem the tide. Probably not much.
Just now hopeful for some progress to be put into our list. Not much else to say!

Just a hunch mate.... I don't think you Like Zaine Cordy very much.

You've only singled him out in about 97% of your posts in here.

Was far from our worst last night. Got outmarked a couple of times sure, but his effort couldn't be faulted and he actually saved us several times. But apparently his selection over Gards was laughable. If it was over Matthew Scarlett then yeah, but seriously, give me a f***ing spell. He can hold his head a lot higher than some of his more lauded, non-whipping boy team-mates.

I can’t believe how down I am about it. I was over the past two EF losses a few hours afterwards, I’ve felt close to distraught the past 24 hours. That’s maybe slightly hyperbolic but I really haven’t got anywhere near getting over it.

I think it’s the hope that did it - 19 points up, Bont firming for the NS and Treloar had played a critical role getting us back in the game. We were up without any of our forwards really doing much, and surely they’d kick one or two soon. My nine and seven year olds were going to see a flag (too young in 2016). Then bang, centre clearance after centre clearance and goals raining down.

This might sound strange but i think the way we lost was probably the best possible way to lose. Wait... hear me out!!!!!!

If we lost by a close margin in a tough game we could be haunted for years about that - think about the way the Saints are still tortured by 2010. If we got blown out of the water like it seemed we might be at qtr time, then that is the kind of thing that scars a club. It's humiliating for both supporters and players. But in this case we showed we could match it with them for 2/3 of the game. And then we got blown out of the water after that. So it's not close enough for "what ifs" but also not one-sided enough to be an indictment. We just got beaten by a better team on the day - a team that we could still match it with on the same day.

There's no great way to lose a GF. But I reckon this way I am less depressed than i would otherwise be......which is still VERY DEPRESSED!

N.B. When i say the "best" i mean broadly speaking. Actual "best" would have been the same thing happening but them only scoring another 2 or 3 goals in the last qtr - not 87367364783738 goals.

Last edited:
I've felt pretty ordinary all day and my mind keeps panning back to mid way through the 3rd. How TF did they end up kicking 100 points to 7 with 40-45 minutes left in a GF? It still hurts and I've managed to avoid seeing all of the after match carry on so far.

Doggies to bounce back next year with a few needed changes/improvements and hopefully we get our chance again next year at a packed MCG.

This might sound strange but i think the way we lost was probably the best possible way to lose. Wait... hear me out!!!!!!

If we lost by a close margin in a tough game we could be haunted for years about that - think about the way the Saints are still tortured by 2010. If we got blown out of the water like it seemed we might be at qtr time, then that is the kind of thing that scars a club. It's humiliating for both supporters and players. But in this case we showed we could match it with them for 2/3 of the game. And then we got blown out of the water after that. So it's not close enough for "what ifs" but also not one-sided enough to be an indictment. We just got beaten by a better team on the day - a team that we could still match it with on the same day.

There's no great way to lose a GF. But I reckon this way I am less depressed than i would otherwise be......which is still VERY DEPRESSED!

History is littered with teams who think they are close to a flag, resulting in them making short term recruitment decisions to their long term detriment (Geelong for example). So you may be part correct.

it also shows us where we need to improve to match Melbourne, so it could cause Bevo to make bolder decisions promoting guys like Garcia, West, Richards at the expense of older players.

Also puts the heat on a few guys for next year, knowing they struggled in thebiggest game of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever happens next year it won't be the same as this year, there's no point planning for what Melbourne are right now. When you go deep in September you only need a few small improvements and tweaks. In 2010 Geelong were blown off the park by Collingwood in the prelim, lose Ablett, change up a couple of things and a year later run all over Collingwood late in a grand final.

It's important to go over the game and not rug sweep, but then move on and not try and go on a redemption mission.

Whatever happens next year it won't be the same as this year, there's no point planning for what Melbourne are right now. When you go deep in September you only need a few small improvements and tweaks. In 2010 Geelong were blown off the park by Collingwood in the prelim, lose Ablett, change up a couple of things and a year later run all over Collingwood late in a grand final.

It's important to go over the game and not rug sweep, but then move on and not try and go on a redemption mission.
If you lose by a few points that’s what you do.

Lose by 10 goals and you are more likely to take more risks.

re: Cordy. He is being played out of position. He matches up ok as the third tall defender playing on fellow 190-195cm forwards, but he is hopeless outmatched against the big forwards. Don’t know why they try and play him as the second kpd. Remember his game against Lynch or against Wright. Nothing against him,he is just being misused.

Last edited:
Any team ever been 3 goals up half way through the third then go on to lose by 12 goals in the GF before?

I’m truely jealous of people who can remain positive at times like this.

Great effort to make the GF, but that last 1.5 quarters was down to much more than losing the ruck battle.

No, but no other side had to go to just about every state in Australia, cop key injuries and play a side who played 2 matches in a month. Usually it's the survival of the fittest and that was Port v Melbourne. But you blokes embarrassed Port in Adelaide and rolled the Lions in Brisbane. You didn't turn it up in the Granny either, a goal behind with a minute to go in the third. Unfortunately, you guys were gassed and the frustration of 50 years of failure was unleashed.

Disappointment is natural but there are plenty of positives for the Bulldogs, even if it doesn't feel that way right now.

If you lose by a few points that’s what you do.

Lose by 10 goals and you are more likely to take more risks.
The reality was if the team kicks 2 more goals in the third the games done, you don't come back 5 down late in the third of a grand final. There's plenty to be learned from the last quarter and a half but there's a huge risk in overplaying it's relevance going forward. Plenty of teams have had bad grand finals and gone overboard with what when wrong in one game, Adelaide being the best recent example.

Just a hunch mate.... I don't think you Like Zaine Cordy very much.

You've only singled him out in about 97% of your posts in here.

Was far from our worst last night. Got outmarked a couple of times sure, but his effort couldn't be faulted and he actually saved us several times. But apparently his selection over Gards was laughable. If it was over Matthew Scarlett then yeah, but seriously, give me a f***ing spell. He can hold his head a lot higher than some of his more lauded, non-whipping boy team-mates.

I will be honest. I'm harsh on him.

The reason I am is because he is one of 9 players who played in the last grand final. Lets go through those names. Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Dunkley, Daniel, Hunter, Johannisen, Wood, Cordy.

All of them are either All Australians (or AA squad members), BnF winners, Norm smith medalists. Players who have had quality careers. You have to have been a pretty good player to have maintained your spot in the past 5 years as the team has transitioned.

Meanwhile Cordy in my opinion continues to be the regular weakest link in our team (apart from when our ruck stocks are in free fall). This is a player who is has played over 100 games and is almost 25 years old. He's in the absolute sweet spot in his career yet he continues to be a weak link in our side. How many media pundits continue to say that the secondary KPD spot is a massive issue for us. Nearly all of them. They can't all be wrong.

You say he can hold his head higher than more "lauded non whipping boy team mates". Who are those players. I'd wager most of them have at least played a starring or highly important role in one of our victories in the finals. If not then they probably were essential in getting us into a finals position come seasons end. Cordy is a senior player who continually gets exposed. Even in our good performances he's conceeding far more marks inside 50 than nearly all his team mates with probably the exception of Wood whom probably needs a top on the shoulder sooner rather than later.

Do I think Cordy would be better suited to playing 3rd tall defender. Yes he would. Do I think he could do a defensive forward job on a high quality interceptor. Yes i also think he would.

But right now playing Cordy as the 2nd KPD is the wrong move and is continually exposing us. I could name last night, R23 vs port, Rd 21 v Essendon as some recent examples of this. I just expect more than what he gives us when (considering our age demographic) hes a player in the prime of his career, has played 100+ games and surrounded by high quality players.

I will be honest. I'm harsh on him.

The reason I am is because he is one of 9 players who played in the last grand final. Lets go through those names. Bontempelli, Macrae, Liberatore, Dunkley, Daniel, Hunter, Johannisen, Wood, Cordy.

All of them are either All Australians (or AA squad members), BnF winners, Norm smith medalists. Players who have had quality careers. You have to have been a pretty good player to have maintained your spot in the past 5 years as the team has transitioned.

Meanwhile Cordy in my opinion continues to be the regular weakest link in our team (apart from when our ruck stocks are in free fall). This is a player who is has played over 100 games and is almost 25 years old. He's in the absolute sweet spot in his career yet he continues to be a weak link in our side. How many media pundits continue to say that the secondary KPD spot is a massive issue for us. Nearly all of them. They can't all be wrong.

You say he can hold his head higher than more "lauded non whipping boy team mates". Who are those players. I'd wager most of them have at least played a starring or highly important role in one of our victories in the finals. If not then they probably were essential in getting us into a finals position come seasons end. Cordy is a senior player who continually gets exposed. Even in our good performances he's conceeding far more marks inside 50 than nearly all his team mates with probably the exception of Wood whom probably needs a top on the shoulder sooner rather than later.

Do I think Cordy would be better suited to playing 3rd tall defender. Yes he would. Do I think he could do a defensive forward job on a high quality interceptor. Yes i also think he would.

But right now playing Cordy as the 2nd KPD is the wrong move and is continually exposing us. I could name last night, R23 vs port, Rd 21 v Essendon as some recent examples of this. I just expect more than what he gives us when (considering our age demographic) hes a player in the prime of his career, has played 100+ games and surrounded by high quality players.

Slow on the lead, too short to play on the monsters and part of our defensive game plan to start 10m in front of your opponent, he then can at times become a step ladder. Needs to play back shoulder and hope the delivery is poor imo. He did this against Dixon and it worked well.

Slow on the lead, too short to play on the monsters and part of our defensive game plan to start 10m in front of your opponent, he then can at times become a step ladder. Needs to play back shoulder and hope the delivery is poor imo. He did this against Dixon and it worked well.

Despite the limited number of inside 50s port had, dixon still got 3 marks inside forward 50. He may not have converted them but he still was marking it.

How sad an individual do you have to be to have your team win a flag after 57 years and ever since be trolling the opposition's board? Holy **** what a bunch of tossers. You p**** will get what's coming to you and we'll all be waiting for that day. Next year, the year after, whenever and you'll cop it ten fold.

The reality was if the team kicks 2 more goals in the third the games done, you don't come back 5 down late in the third of a grand final. There's plenty to be learned from the last quarter and a half but there's a huge risk in overplaying it's relevance going forward. Plenty of teams have had bad grand finals and gone overboard with what when wrong in one game, Adelaide being the best recent example.

That is an excellent point. Especially as one could argue the reason we lost that game was not because of the turnaround halfway through the 3rd Q but because we didn't put them away before they had a chance to turn it around. We had more than enough ball in the 2nd and that first 10 mins of the 3rd to extend our lead to the 6 goal range and beyond. Now Melbourne showed against Geelong in Rd 23 they could come back from that kind of deficit. But under GF pressure it might not have been so easy.

If we were good enough, we would have put them away. Be we aren’t and we didn’t.

Premiership teams are ruthless. Melbourne were and we weren’t.

same reason we headed Richmond, Geelong, Port, Hawthorn and now Melbourne and ended up capitulating.

Our inability to control the centre bounce and defend should be a real worry for the coaches IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back