Autopsy Post 2021 Grand Final Western Bulldogs game review, the good the bad and the ugly, come talk about it here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We need a midfield bull. Bont is the Rolls, but we need one (or a few) midfield bulls that get the footy, are physical with a hard edge and give us some presence in there. Bulls that bash and crash and don't allow the opposition to waltz it from the middle uncontested. Whether it's trade or drafting, it's critical.
Thats Dunkley's role. He just didnt play like that at all after he came back from the shoulder

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Thats Dunkley's role. He just didnt play like that at all after he came back from the shoulder

Yeah, wouldn't hurt to have another. Heard some ridiculous quote from Lloyd (geez he's a tool) today saying Dunkley is our sixth midfielder and would fit in well at another club.

Lloyd just doing more Bulldogs hating and trying to drive Dunkley's price down for a second year in a row so his Bombers can pick up a bargain. Anyone asked Dunkley if he even wants to go now? Doubt it.

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Strange place to be on one hand feeling really hard done by that we should have won when 3 goals up, mixed with the realisation that we lost by 12 goals. It’s hard to process.

Hard not to think, when’s the next time we’ll be 3 goals up half way through the third of a GF. Hopefully not decades!

NorthcoteDee

Team Captain
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Sliding Doors Zeno, at 6 point down, we go forward to Schache he gets crunched from behind by Brayshaw head high in the back whatever you want its a free every home and away game. Schache goes back takes his time, waste some time on the clock we likely go into 3 quarter time level.

I'm sure the Dees would have swamped us in the last anyway, it was just there time. Yet it could have made the last exciting for a while.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FWIW I agree that Schache should have been given a free kick.

However, 1 minute before Kozzy should have been given a free kick in front of goal for round the neck. Not paid.

Similarly, I thought that the free kick to BBB at the start of Q4 was soft. But so were some free kicks the other way.

Lots of sliding doors moments over 120 minutes.

Aug 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
FWIW I agree that Schache should have been given a free kick.

However, 1 minute before Kozzy should have been given a free kick in front of goal for round the neck. Not paid.

Similarly, I thought that the free kick to BBB at the start of Q4 was soft. But so were some free kicks the other way.

Lots of sliding doors moments over 120 minutes.
Have pondered some what ifs but with a margin that significant I don’t think we can put it down to a few moments.

I don’t think it’s the kind of loss that will torture us. Hopefully we get a cleaner bill of health and give ourselves the best possible run at it in the next few years.

Philthy1

Club Legend
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, wouldn't hurt to have another. Heard some ridiculous quote from Lloyd (geez he's a tool) today saying Dunkley is our sixth midfielder and would fit in well at another club.

Lloyd just doing more Bulldogs hating and trying to drive Dunkley's price down for a second year in a row so his Bombers can pick up a bargain. Anyone asked Dunkley if he even wants to go now? Doubt it.
Dunkley not going anywhere

Mr. Walker

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2002
PO Box. 7 Powelltown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 1248045

Well there you go

An incredible feat from their medicos and fitness staff. I think it was mentioned Darren Burgess was in charge on the fitness side.
This is why imo any Bulldogs review of the season has to start with the Fitness and Recovery program compared to Melbourne. Were our injuries just bad luck, their lack of injury good luck and what do we do about it.
( Second is our non -change of tactics in the centre for the last third of the game)

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is why imo any Bulldogs review of the season has to start with the Fitness and Recovery program compared to Melbourne. Were our injuries just bad luck, their lack of injury good luck and what do we do about it.
( Second is our non -change of tactics in the centre for the last third of the game)
Mathew Innes v Darren Burgess

redmania

Senior List
Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This loss hurts.

We shouldn't have lost after being 19 points up during the third quarter. We had all the momentum. I was in complete and utter shock what transpired from then.

I'm bloody proud of this club. I'm proud of the year we had. I'm proud of the bite and desire we displayed to make it to the Grand Final. Things were going so incredibly well when Bont kicked his third to put us 19 points up in the third quarter, but I'm just absolutely gutted with how we lost.

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN? HOW?
I hear you..we had them....I am still in shock. I think we got outcoached in that 3rd. What happened was criminal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 27, 2009
Whitten oval
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Which is why I wouldn't have been concerned had both King and Hansen moved on. Must beef up the assistant coaches and fitness staff.
We definitely need some fresh ideas in there. Hansen got promoted to senior assistant with kings departure announced so would say he is staying.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Something small and would not have changed the result but in the first quarter Cody has got to shephard/block that Schache snap rather than go for mark of the year. Simply body work and that's a goal. The hard hit on the post probably attributed to his 63% game time too.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thinking about it again, disappointing that it happened but I think if we were vsing any other premiership team of the last 5 years once we had that little lead in the 3rd we would have won. Melbourne we’re desperate and played out of their skins for 15 mins and then it went the other way and we were cooked. Just like if it was 2016 bulldogs in the same situation I would have expected us to do the same. Great year mad proud of this squad and what they’ve achieved

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Incorrect. There hasn’t been one in years. Tigers still play Carlton in round 1 despite their flags. Pies & WCE/Dogs & Swans didn’t either.
Shows how good my memory is, was sure we played Swans round 1 2017 turns out it was round 2

Dogs vs Dees makes sense next year though, let’s us in Melbourne get to a Dogs vs Dees game, would be a huge event and should be at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Back